ADVERTISEMENT

Kudos to the Hawks and also Fran

BVHawkeye

HR Legend
Jan 6, 2003
Great comeback win tonight. Fran needs to be getting more credit on here. In the games against power 5 teams we almost never have more talent. That was obvious tonight. I know Fran is responsible for bringing in that talent but he seems to get the most out of them. Sure, at times we play shitty defense (like tonight in identifying shooters), but we hang in there and play hard. It is a fun team to watch because in most games I don't see how we are that competitive. I give Fran credit.

Great comeback win tonight. Fran needs to be getting more credit on here. In the games against power 5 teams we almost never have more talent. That was obvious tonight. I know Fran is responsible for bringing in that talent but he seems to get the most out of them. Sure, at times we play shitty defense (like tonight in identifying shooters), but we hang in there and play hard. It is a fun team to watch because in most games I don't see how we are that competitive. I give Fran credit.
We had a national player of the year two years ago, 1st team all-Americans the past 3 years, a lottery pick, and guys on our team that could play for anyone. I don’t understand the ‘more talent’ take

We had a national player of the year two years ago, 1st team all-Americans the past 3 years, a lottery pick, and guys on our team that could play for anyone. I don’t understand the ‘more talent’ take
True; but he did identify, get them on campus, and develop them to that point. Fran has been fairly solid all things considered...

Ridiculous take.

Michigan isn't more talented than Iowa, in fact they kind of suck.

Fran had the best player in the country the previous 3 years in a row and this year Kris is the second best player in the conference behind Eddy.

Ridiculous take.

Fran had the best player in the country the previous 3 years in a row and this year Kris is the second best player in the conference behind Eddy.

Well then way to recruit Fran if he's recruited better than Blue!! Wow...didn't know that. Talk about a ridiculous take.....nice post OP....the good guys win again.....enjoy and goodnight!

Well then way to recruit Fran if he's recruited better than Blue!! Wow...didn't know that. Talk about a ridiculous take.....nice post OP....the good guys win again.....enjoy and goodnight!
Did Iowa not have the best player in the country the last 3 years?

Is Kris not the second best player in conference behind Eddy?

Is UM not barely over 500?

What exactly do you disagree with?

OMG A positive thread like this will get you run off this board. But Fran will love you:eek:

Did Iowa not have the best player in the country the last 3 years?

Is Kris not the second best player in conference behind Eddy?

Is UM not barely over 500?

What exactly do you disagree with?
Iowa’s issue under Fran has been, and seemingly will always be, guard play. Bowen looks to be the most talented of the bunch this year but he’s still pretty green.

Ultimately guard play determines success/failure in CBB. And whether people like it or not, coaches are judged by their performance in March.

Under Fran, Iowa’s guards have been overall mediocre at best. That pretty much describes Fran’s March record in the tournament.

Reactions: CarterHall
Ridiculous take.

Bad take.

Iowa’s issue under Fran has been, and seemingly will always be, guard play. Bowen looks to be the most talented of the bunch this year but he’s still pretty green.

Ultimately guard play determines success/failure in CBB. And whether people like it or not, coaches are judged by their performance in March.

Under Fran, Iowa’s guards have been overall mediocre at best. That pretty much describes Fran’s March record in the tournament.

If Nebraska wanted to send over another Andre Woolridge, I wouldn’t oppose.

True; but he did identify, get them on campus, and develop them to that point. Fran has been fairly solid all things considered...
I don’t understand what this ‘discussion’ is about. Of course he did, and other teams don’t always have more talent

Reactions: RocknRollface
Ridiculous take.

Fran developed the best player in the country. They did not come here as a 5 star talent.

I disagree with the idea our defense was bad. Great? No, but people fail to realize two very important parts to the equation: (1) we were selling out to stop Dickinson from going off, which was wise, and (2) Michigan was insanely hot, it happens.
They made open threes. There were a couple they made with a hand in their face, but for the most part it was a game of horse.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
Iowa should have implemented Michigan’s D plan when they let Garza go off for 40+ But still won pretty comfortably. Let Dickinson get his but for gods sake cover up that 3 point line.

Ridiculous take.

Do you really believe that or are you just talking trash. Their center will probably be a high to mid 1st round pick. The freshmen guard who torched Iowa, may be a one and done, but definitely won't be there after his sophmore year. Their point guard is better than any point guard on our team. We have one player by position that is better than them and that is Kris. Sandfort was good tonight and last time out, but he hasn't shown the consistency to say he is better than anyone in Michigan's starting 5.
As for the best player in the country three years in a row, that just isn't so. He may have had the highest scorer, but definitely not the best player and in the case of one of those payers, those that evaluate players for a living didn't think he was even close to being the best player in the country.

It's not that we didn't have one or a few talented players, it's the distribution of talent. The problem with Iowa teams typically is the low end and middle of that distribution is lower than the some other teams.

Everyone on this site repeats the mantra that guard play wins in March. Then they turn around and ask why Iowa hasn’t been more successful in March. It’s not that hard, guys.

Reactions: RocknRollface
I’m talking this year. Kris is the only starter that would start for most teams.

• Haha
Reactions: doughuddl2
Ridiculous take.

Michigan is just as talented as Iowa. I would say Fran is getting more from what he has right now.

I didn’t “like (thumbs up” your post because I feel it cuts the legs off some players who I pulled for and they gave it their all as Hawkeyes.

But, I agree with you that guard play steers the ship in college. Been saying it for years. I root for Ulis and Bowen and Perkins and Dix. I root for them to be Magic Johnson. That ain’t happening, so I root for better recruiting success. In the meantime, I’ll spend my time supporting the guys on the floor. And yes, I curse them at times,too.

Ridiculous take.

I don't think Eddy is that great. He has freakish size that he has learned to harness to his advantage. I'll give him credit for working hard to get better. Skill wise,I like Filip better.

Fran developed the best player in the country. They did not come here as a 5 star talent.
So what?

Talent is what your players can do on the floor not a number on paper from 3 years ago.

Im not putting Fran down im saying the statement that Iowa always has less talent than every p5 team they play against is insane.

That might be true for maybe half the teams they play.

Do you really believe that or are you just talking trash. Their center will probably be a high to mid 1st round pick. The freshmen guard who torched Iowa, may be a one and done, but definitely won't be there after his sophmore year. Their point guard is better than any point guard on our team. We have one player by position that is better than them and that is Kris. Sandfort was good tonight and last time out, but he hasn't shown the consistency to say he is better than anyone in Michigan's starting 5.
As for the best player in the country three years in a row, that just isn't so. He may have had the highest scorer, but definitely not the best player and in the case of one of those payers, those that evaluate players for a living didn't think he was even close to being the best player in the country.
The nba draft is not what determines the best player in college.

Garza won the fvcking award for being the best player in the country and was better than Obin Toppin the year before.

Nba and college are different games, different defenses and offenses. They draft based on their criteria not college production.

Yeah UM has more talent on paper and they're 9-7.

Howard will get drafted and Dickinson might end up second round but ill bet he's back because the nba doesn't have a role for big slow guys anymore.

Reactions: M&Shawk
I don't think Eddy is that great. He has freakish size that he has learned to harness to his advantage. I'll give him credit for working hard to get better. Skill wise,I like Filip better.
Right, his size is what makes him the best player. He's unstoppable in the lane.

Hes obviously not overly skilled but you don't have to be at that size.

Reactions: MAXIMUSHAWKEYE
I was in and out and really didn't watch much of the game yesterday. However, every time I looked up, the Hawks would cut it to 2 and then Michigan would hit a huge shot and extend the lead to 7 or something. Then again and again. Big game for the resilience of the group. I think Iowa took Michigan's best punch and withstood it for the win. Great job by everybody.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT