ADVERTISEMENT

Kyle Meyer

Aug 27, 2014
What are the chances that Kyle Meyer transfers back to Iowa? By looking at his stats on NJCAA it looks like he had a pretty decent year at Eastern Florida State College. Hawks could really use the help at the 4 or 5 position and he could possibly be a guy that could come in and play right away.

Originally posted by FootballChamp1:
What are the chances that Kyle Meyer transfers back to Iowa? By looking at his stats on NJCAA it looks like he had a pretty decent year at Eastern Florida State College. Hawks could really use the help at the 4 or 5 position and he could possibly be a guy that could come in and play right away.
About as good as 2222 making a salient point, and not being total retard.

Unless he has learned to bend his knees on defense there is zero chance he comes back to Iowa.

Problem is he's not really a 4 or 5. He shies away from contact and shoots a lot of 3's for how big he is. He would be stuck behind Uthoff for a year and then likely Moss and Hutton after that.

I don't believe he will be packing his bags back to Iowa.

This post was edited on 3/24 8:47 PM by nu2u

goodbyebobby posted on 3/24/2015...

About as good as 2222 making a salient point, and not being total retard.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Winner, winner, chicken dinner

He has done a 180 It would seem. He is tearimg it up in what is supposed to be a good conference. Averaged a double double. Probably learned a lot at Iowa, then applied himself... Too late for us. Sometimes a redshirt is not a bad idea. Especially them bigs

I was really disappointed when he left. He has a terrific skill set and good athleticism for his size. Could be a poor man's Frank Kaminsky.

Additionally, I was a little surprised he transferred. He didn't play much while he was here, but things were lining up for him to receive a lot of playing time in the future and it seemed like a good opportunity for him.

Originally posted by icantfindausernamethatisntused:
He didn't play much while he was here, but things were lining up for him to receive a lot of playing time in the future and it seemed like a good opportunity for him.
That's really not true. I think Fran told him the opposite.

Originally posted by hawkeyeguy69:
He has done a 180 It would seem. He is tearimg it up in what is supposed to be a good conference. Averaged a double double. Probably learned a lot at Iowa, then applied himself... Too late for us. Sometimes a redshirt is not a bad idea. Especially them bigs
I certainly claim no expertise but when I saw him play extended minutes, I did think he might have been a pretty good role player down the road but the board is right.....zero chance

Originally posted by hooper56:

Originally posted by icantfindausernamethatisntused:
He didn't play much while he was here, but things were lining up for him to receive a lot of playing time in the future and it seemed like a good opportunity for him.
That's really not true. I think Fran told him the opposite.
I should have prefaced that as just my opinion. When I saw Meyer play I saw a lot of potential. He was quick for his size, a decent dribbler and good outside shooter and had a big body that could bang down low.

However, as you hinted at in your first post in this thread, he looked disinterested on defense when he played. I was not sure how much weight to put into that because the only time I saw him play was in the PTL and in blowouts.

I do not doubt that Fran told him he wasn't going to play, but I would have to say that if he did tell Meyer that, it seems confusing. We seemed to redshirt him in order to have separationg between him, Woodbury, and Olaseni. Big guys ordinarily take longer to develop, and it would seem like next year's team and the '16-17 team could really benefit from a big guy down low. It would be nice to have someone who could fill that position and had 3-4 years experience in our system and who was physically mature. Meyer had a lot of tools that most guys his size don't have. Seems like a missed opportunity.

At the same time, I recognize that I don't have all the information that Fran had. Perhaps Meyer didn't fit in with the lockerroom, or maybe he just displayed terrible work ethic that Fran didn't want affecting others. If Fran told him he wasn't going to play, I'm sure he had a good reason.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT