ADVERTISEMENT

New Story Kyle Taylor brings intensity to defense

Apr 8, 2003
Luke's article:
http://rvls.co/KTaylor

When high school coach Randy Trivers describes future Hawkeye Kyle Taylor, he uses words like old school, blue collar, hard hitting, and intense. That is what the Iowa coaching staff is getting in the 6-foot-2, 220-pound middle linebacker. We caught up with Trivers to learn more about Taylor and his future with the Hawkeyes.

Q: What type of player has Kyle been for you?

TRIVERS: He has been a heck of a leader for us. He is versatile and committed to the game in terms of his preparation. His leadership is great and he will be missed. That rubbed off on his teammates. Individually Kyle brings a great level of intensity to everything. He is an intense dude. He is a dynamic player who has done just a great job for us with whatever we asked him to do. Iowa is getting a very, very good player and a really good human being. A lot of times you get a talented player in a tough situation but his character is so strong he won't waiver. He is a good one.

Q: What does Iowa project him to play in college?

TRIVERS: I think he is an inside backer. He has a physical style, runs well, and is very smart with a high football IQ. If you put Kyle Taylor on the inside of your defense, you know he can really be a quarterback type of player on defense in terms of knowing where guys are supposed to be lined up. He is a very good fit for their schemes. It really suits his abilities, skill set, and what he brings to the table above the neck with football IQ, leadership, and recognition.

Q: What areas is he working on?

TRIVERS: I think Kyle is doing a strong job of getting in the best physical condition that he has been in. He knows the rigors of college football and the type of grind that your body has to be ready for. He is working to get bigger, faster, and stronger with his workouts. The main thing for him is to be in tip top conditioning from a strength and conditioning stand point. With his brother there, he'll be well aware of what he is getting ready for. He'll have a strong idea of what he needs to get done. Kyle loves it. He loves football, the game, and everything that goes with it. He is dedicated to do everything he can to get on the Iowa campus ready to compete.

Q: Did having his brother at Iowa help their recruiting of him?

TRIVERS: I think so. There are always the thoughts of wanting to blaze my own trail which he had several opportunities to do. At the end of the day, he realized that playing with my brother again is a very unique opportunity that not many people get. To be able to do it in high school is great but doing it in college is a special deal. The other thing is that when you select a school, you try to get answers for your questions. He has had a really good relationship with the coaches but he has his brother to ask any questions. I would also say that was not the sole reason Kyle selected Iowa. He felt really strong about the coaching staff and the quality education is huge. Playing in the Big Ten is something he is really excited to do. I think their blue collar style is who Kyle is. He is a no nonsense, old school throw back, business dude. When it comes down to it, he works and I think Iowa fits that for Kyle. He is a team guy and the program fits who he really is.

Q: How did recruiting go for him?

TRIVERS: I think when they were on Miles, they were on Kyle too. He had just completed a very strong sophomore season and they started to take notice. Before I came to Iowa (spring of 2014), I remember talking to Chris White and he said you'll love Kyle Taylor. That guy will strike you. The Taylor brothers have a knack for contact. I remember him telling me that you'll love him because he is an intense kid. Sure enough, that is what how he is. There were several suitors that came by whether it was Virginia Tech, Boston College, or Wisconsin. I think really it was looking at what Iowa offered that I mentioned and it was a great fit for the type of person and player Kyle is, Miles aside.

Q: Are any other schools still recruiting him?

TRIVERS: No, we don't play that game. I don't play that game. Kyle and his family understands. As the head coach, I think it is important to keep recruiting open until you know. I feel like you should keep your word. When the coaches come back year after year, they appreciate that you have that sense of integrity with the recruiting process. When it comes to guys that are recruited, at least on my end, I try to let them know that they are solid. You don't need to give your word unless you know.

See highlights from Taylor's senior season at Gonzaga in the video below.

Reactions: rivercityjazzman
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.