ADVERTISEMENT

Labas being talked down by Kirk n’ Bri?

I was at that tOSU game, their fans were sure Iowa was going to win with all the momentum on their side with that stop to get the ball back at Iowa’s 26 yard line. I just shook my head when when KF let the clock run down. Their fans couldn’t believe it. They asked what is your coach doing? I said playing Tressel ball. You play to win on the road in that situation with seniors on your squad that came to Iowa to play in the Rose Bowl - Richardson and Moeaki come to mind as they said that during their commitment at the Army All American High School Game. Plus, they had luck on their side with how the game was going - Moeaki catch after the two tOSU players collided and it fell to him, interception returned for a td due to penalty, the kick off return you could hear a pin drop in the stadium, and JVB td throws. The only negative was Trey Stross dropping a td in the endzone and a missed field goal. Damn, I wanted that W.
This is Kirk's nature though and as you get older your butt gets tighter and the biggest risk of the day is timing the bathroom so you don't piss or sh!t yourself. Kirk is not a gambler quite different than Hayden. Kirk could catch so so many teams off guard if he would mix it up every now and then. New game plan against NW and Purdue would be a start b/c that 20 year old sh!t doesn't work. Also against inferior teams go for the f'ing jugular. There is a time and place to play time of possession and field position. Against South Dakota State you throw down the field and let KJ go get it!

Why do you think CJB got the majority of minutes in the Gator Bowl? And if you don’t think that played into KF’s decision to change to CJB then I don’t know what else to say. CJB and Casey going public forced KF’s hand to either play him or he was going to leave. Simple as that.
Because they alternated early and CJ had the hot hand, as they explained they were going to do all the way through bowl prep. They did not make a decision based on one line in an interview a week before the game. That is, again, ridiculous.

KF did not start CJB due to Casey saying that. Not only is it ridiculous, it completely contradicts the idea that he's some stubborn stick in the mud that doesn't listen to anyone else regardless of results. Think about it. He would have ignored the locker room shift (or the fact that CJ played the majority of the Gator Bowl), but would cower to one player's father? It doesn't make any sense.
Not to mention he'd already benched one former 4 star QB who's father was a serious pain in the ass, AND a 4 star DT who's father gave KF a "play him or he's leaving" ultimatum. That's just not how KF operates, but that doesn't fit the narrative of some.

This is Kirk's nature though and as you get older your butt gets tighter and the biggest risk of the day is timing the bathroom so you don't piss or sh!t yourself. Kirk is not a gambler quite different than Hayden. Kirk could catch so so many teams off guard if he would mix it up every now and then. New game plan against NW and Purdue would be a start b/c that 20 year old sh!t doesn't work. Also against inferior teams go for the f'ing jugular. There is a time and place to play time of possession and field position. Against South Dakota State you throw down the field and let KJ go get it!
Ah yes, the "Hayden was such a gambler" schtick. How many times did he do that against teams with a pulse who might have stuck that up his ass? Hayden pulled out some exotics as he liked to call them, as has KF by the way, but not nearly as often as people would like to believe. If so why did we have so many tie games, and low scoring affairs? Why did we only beat Michigan 12-10 in 1985 at home. Why didn't he pull out more "exotics" against a team he knew they wouldn't work against with a great defense?

And poking fun at a kid who got a shot in the league (Bower) after being a walkon at Iowa doesn't speak well for your ability to spot talent.
You are not a stupid person, nor is your reading comprehension abilities worse than an eighth grader’s. So how in the f#ck could you read what I wrote and conclude that’s what was being stated? JFC.

Again, and I will type slowly since you seem off today: The…point…being…raised…is…that…Kirk…will…indeed…bench…someone…based…on…performance.

Why would you think that anyone other than Spencer Petras would be named the starter? Your fantasy is ridiculous! That has never happened at Iowa. Watch for transfers at the QB position to happen after spring practice is over.
SP is the Labor Day wkd starter against SDSU on 9/3/22. The Vegas odds are 6/5. Unfortunately we won't lead by more than 2 possessions so we won't see the backup in meaningful action just the way KF likes it. No controversy if you never see Bledsoe go down.

Ah yes, the "Hayden was such a gambler" schtick. How many times did he do that against teams with a pulse who might have stuck that up his ass? Hayden pulled out some exotics as he liked to call them, as has KF by the way, but not nearly as often as people would like to believe. If so why did we have so many tie games, and low scoring affairs? Why did we only beat Michigan 12-10 in 1985 at home. Why didn't he pull out more "exotics" against a team he knew they wouldn't work against with a great defense?
I don’t exactly know what you’re getting at, but B1G Ten football was pretty blue collar and low scoring back then. I think most people also recognize Bill Snyder had a lot to do with Iowa’s more dynamic offenses back in that era than anything.

Long w/ the bootleg against MSU. Kirk would never do that. He would have ran a QB sneak to get stuffed. Against Michigan you didn't have to get exotic. Let Station stuff the run and Houghtlin knock down 3's.

You are saying Kirk has the same moxy as Hayden. Go put your head in some sand fool! I like Kirk but you can't compare the 2.

Why do you think CJB got the majority of minutes in the Gator Bowl?

Because Ruddock was playing terrible.

And if you don’t think that played into KF’s decision to change to CJB then I don’t know what else to say. CJB and Casey going public forced KF’s hand to either play him or he was going to leave. Simple as that.

CJB & Casey forced KF hand. It wasn’t his decision. KF did not reward CJB with the starting position based on the merit of winning the job at Pittsburgh. He poo pooed his performance post game, talked up Ruddock and installed him back as the starter after the Purdue game.

The EXACT SAME WAY he did not promote Stanzi after he won the job, on the field, ironically at Pittsburgh over J Christensen.

The 2001 Michigan game, Banks outplayed McCann(?) on the field. He made a mental mistake not running up field to attempt a first down and got benches the next series. Banks won the job on the field that day. He outplayed McCann.

In none of these cases did players win the job based on merit.

Banks started 2002 because McCann graduated.

Stanzi got the job in 2009 because the fanbase & donors melted down after the bowl game. KOK claims to have had a screaming match with KF over starting Stanzi.

Beathard got the job because they threatened to leave.

Yall are so blind it’s unbelievable.

CJB & Casey forced KF hand. It wasn’t his decision. KF did not reward CJB with the starting position based on the merit of winning the job at Pittsburgh. He poo pooed his performance post game, talked up Ruddock and installed him back as the starter after the Purdue game.

The EXACT SAME WAY he did not promote Stanzi after he won the job, on the field, ironically at Pittsburgh over J Christensen.

The 2001 Michigan game, Banks outplayed McCann(?) on the field. He made a mental mistake not running up field to attempt a first down and got benches the next series. Banks won the job on the field that day. He outplayed McCann.

Stanzi got the job in 2009 because the fanbase & donors melted down after the bowl game. KOK claims to have had a screaming match with KF over starting Stanzi.

I’m in agreement with you on these things. KF has always minimized the back qb when he has done well and inserted the starter back into his position as if he can do no wrong. You’d think after watching JR miss wide open receiver after receiver downfield in the Nebraska game, only to lose in OT, that’s he’d say that’s it, you are done. Get CJB in the game now. It didn’t happen and he stayed with JR through bowl prep due to his stubborn over who should be the starting qb. The man can’t make good calls on who his starting qb should be in his 20 years as HC or is afraid to try one of is four back ups to find the goy that can win.

Long w/ the bootleg against MSU. Kirk would never do that. He would have ran a QB sneak to get stuffed. Against Michigan you didn't have to get exotic. Let Station stuff the run and Houghtlin knock down 3's.

You are saying Kirk has the same moxy as Hayden. Go put your head in some sand fool! I like Kirk but you can't compare the 2.
We literally ran that play numerous times with CJB lol

Reactions: cmhawks99
Because Rudock didn't get pulled for performance, he got pulled for injury. It's KF's (and most coaches' mantra) that a player who is hurt at the very least deserves the chance to earn back their spot post-injury. Rudock lost it. It's been discussed ad nausem that Casey Beathard did not force his hand because such an assertion is frankly ridiculous lol.
Except for the fact that Stanzi was given the starting role after the Pitt game and never looked back, despite having some stinker performances right afterwards.
Banks then started and played the majority of the game against Wisconsin next week and stunk it up, which is why he did not "win the job on the field that day". Banks himself also disagrees with your assertion.

This is why I can’t take you seriously. Shill

Kirk Ferentz HIMSELF after one of those games said “you know, i probably should have called timeout there, and that’s on me.”

My contention is, why didn’t any of the staff help him out there? All yes men. Bystanders.

ANNNNNDDDD yet again, we have won ALL those games and other teams have not….hmmmm 🤔?!

Reactions: F5n5
ANNNNNDDDD yet again, we have won ALL those games and other teams have not….hmmmm 🤔?!

tenor.gif

I have a question for you? Kind of a philosophical thing. If being a “gambler” like Hayden supposedly was, we’re so important to winning. Why did Hayden lose so many games to top end competition? In fact how did he have so many games when the offense scored less than 2 touchdowns?

On The other hand how does stale, boring, complacent Kirk keep recruiting better talent and winning games at the end of his career? Hayden’s teams weren’t nearly as good the last 10 years?

I’m just curious?! You guys state things like they are major character flaws and yet we are better and more competitive than ever….same boring coach, yet even better results?

On the other hand the last coach was allegedly a huge “River Boat gambler”, had a remarkable amount of games where his team didn’t even score 10 points…explain this to me as it relates to your point above?

Using lol, is enough to know you are a fool. Peace out

Dude you rolled off 3 LOLs in a row in your last comment. I honestly have no clue how some of you function in a real “ in person” debate. You are so incapable of lucid relevant thought or even staying on track!

Its disappointingto see how poorly many of you process. Mostly what’s wrong with our world. People get dumber by the day!

Dude you rolled off 3 LOLs in a row in your last comment. I honestly have no clue how some of you function in a real “ in person” debate. You are so incapable of lucid relevant thought or even staying on track!

Its disappointingto see how poorly many of you process. Mostly what’s wrong with our world. People get dumber by the day!
I was mocking the OP that first said it. Dense?

I’m in agreement with you on these things. KF has always minimized the back qb when he has done well and inserted the starter back into his position as if he can do no wrong. You’d think after watching JR miss wide open receiver after receiver downfield in the Nebraska game, only to lose in OT, that’s he’d say that’s it, you are done. Get CJB in the game now. It didn’t happen and he stayed with JR through bowl prep due to his stubborn over who should be the starting qb. The man can’t make good calls on who his starting qb should be in his 20 years as HC or is afraid to try one of is four back ups to find the goy that can win.

And yet….and yet, that same stubborn coach has had more wins in the last five years than all of about 10 or 11 programs.

Pretty remarkable!! In fact it’s so remarkable there is literally nothing intelligent anybody can say, other than bitch about what they don’t have.

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
Why didn’t any assistant coach scream at KF to call a time out when Minnesota was lined up for an onside kick and we were set up as a standard return up in Minneapolis? 2010? 2011?

100% yes men that day. That’s just one example.
Let's just say that there were only two coaches paying attention to that play (12 years ago!). The HC and the special teams coach. They blew it, and KF admitted it.

Do you really think the DL coach was standing on the sidelines watching the play, thought to himself that they should call timeout, but didn't say anything because he didn't want to upset KF?

I respectively disagree.

And yet….and yet, that same stubborn coach has had more wins in the last five years than all of about 10 or 11 programs.

Pretty remarkable!! In fact it’s so remarkable there is literally nothing intelligent anybody can say, other than bitch about what they don’t have.
Look at the loses over those five years and see a reoccurring theme, no offense to win a majority of those games. That’s always been Ferentz’s achilleas heal.

Look at the loses over those five years and see a reoccurring theme, no offense to win a majority of those games. That’s always been Ferentz’s achilleas heal.

Annnndddddd yet, we are better than we have ever been? Hayden wasn’t better than he’s ever been at the end of his career!

And funny thing…maybe, just maybe the great River boat gambler had a lot of offensive duds too, ever think of that?

Amen!!!! I’ve been fighting this revisionist history battle about the great river boat gambler for 15 years. It’s no wonder it’s so easy for the world governments to trick so many people. They honestly just remember things however they choose to remember them and never ever look at data to find out if the remember correctly or not.

I don’t exactly know what you’re getting at, but B1G Ten football was pretty blue collar and low scoring back then. I think most people also recognize Bill Snyder had a lot to do with Iowa’s more dynamic offenses back in that era than anything.
It should be obvious. Numerous people here want to add revisionist history that Fry was such a "riverboat gambler" unlike KF. My point is its just that, revisionist history. Sure coach Fry pulled some exotics, as has KF. People also want to give him credit for bringing so much more offensive play to the league. The truth is he put up HUGE ass whooping scores against many of the shit teams in the league back then. Teams like NW, Indiana, Wisconsin, Minn and ISU in that mix as well. This is another reason that some of those teams still today want a piece of Iowa, because Fry used to piss pound them and then make jokes about it afterwards like the famous line, "Gee I hope we didn't hurt any of your boys". You didn't see those kind of scores or gambling against the top league teams. To be totally honest, I'd be willing to bet that KF has a better record against OSU, Michigan, MSU and other top schools then Fry did. I pity the next head coach at Iowa. He or she will follow two legends and by that time people may very well be longing for those consistent winning teams we've now become used to seeing at Kinnick....

You are not a stupid person, nor is your reading comprehension abilities worse than an eighth grader’s. So how in the f#ck could you read what I wrote and conclude that’s what was being stated? JFC.

Again, and I will type slowly since you seem off today: The…point…being…raised…is…that…Kirk…will…indeed…bench…someone…based…on…performance.
"while guys like Bo Bower... made an art of f#cking up a two-car funeral and continued to see the field?"

Say what?

• Haha
Reactions: BlackNGoldBleeder

Wouldn't a true "gambler" have gone for the killer TD. What if his sore legged kicker, "by his own admission had a very bad leg and wasn't even able to practice most of the year" had missed that kick. And by the way, talk about someone with his head in the sand. I assume you haven't watched the last 10-15 years of Iowa football? Or basically this just doesn't have fit your narrative? Lets see, how about the fake field goal, pass to the center that set up a first and goal at the one, that would have been a TD but the center fell down, against OSU when that game was still in play in 2017? There have been flee flickers to the QB, a couple of double passes with the QB going down field for the pass, SEVERAL naked boots, one I remember with CJB, but of course KF would NEVER call that, would he? How about the half back option pass against Michigan. Too long to remember back to THIS January 1st? You're right though KF would NEVER call such plays. There have been others, but again, I'm sure that just wouldn't fit would it?

This is why I can’t take you seriously. Shill

Kirk Ferentz HIMSELF after one of those games said “you know, i probably should have called timeout there, and that’s on me.”

My contention is, why didn’t any of the staff help him out there? All yes men. Bystanders.
If the head coach doesn’t have the final say one way or the other regardless of how strongly an assistant gives him an opinion during the game, then that head coach should not be a head coach. He also addressed that in the quote that you put Out. I don’t know where you work but in the
College coaching profession, if you’re not an alpha Trying to move up the ladder You need to get out of the business. Alphas aren’t Yes men. If you want to continue this argument please get into more of a definition of how do you think that would work during a game

Wouldn't a true "gambler" have gone for the killer TD. What if his sore legged kicker, "by his own admission had a very bad leg and wasn't even able to practice most of the year" had missed that kick. And by the way, talk about someone with his head in the sand. I assume you haven't watched the last 10-15 years of Iowa football? Or basically this just doesn't have fit your narrative? Lets see, how about the fake field goal, pass to the center that set up a first and goal at the one, that would have been a TD but the center fell down, against OSU when that game was still in play in 2017? There have been flee flickers to the QB, a couple of double passes with the QB going down field for the pass, SEVERAL naked boots, one I remember with CJB, but of course KF would NEVER call that, would he? How about the half back option pass against Michigan. Too long to remember back to THIS January 1st? You're right though KF would NEVER call such plays. There have been others, but again, I'm sure that just wouldn't fit would it?

The Truth is, they don’t want to admit that. So it’s easier to pretend that didn’t happen, they are honestly horrific fans.

You literally live in a ****ing dream world. Other than CJ and Rudock forcing KF's hand by each one threatening to transfer everything you said is demonstrably false.

For example, future NFL QB Jake Rudock outplayed CJ in almost every game. Rudock threw for something like 800 yards, completed around the upper 50%s with six touchdowns in just the last three regular season games.

Jake Rudock's 2014 junior year

You described that as playing "terrible". CJ's sophomore year

Rudock was superior in every single statistical category. So, who played terrible? CJ did not outplay Rudock in any game in which Rudock was healthy. CJ had the stronger arm and more long term potential so when the choice came Kirk chose greater potential and a stronger arm. Claiming that Beathard was the obvious choice and clearly outplayed Jake is, although not a lie because it's an opinion, just fantastic revisionism where the facts are misstated to serve the conclusion.

The story about Ricky and Jake C is simply a lie. Going into Ricky's true soph year (and freshmen really don't start at QB at Iowa or about 125 other schools) KF announced an open competition with junior Jake C-who started one season at Iowa-true soph Ricky Stanzi. Game 1 was an Iowa blowout, both Jake and Ricky played about the same.

Jake Christensen9/151228.11149.6
Ricky Stanzi9/14906.40028.9

Game 2 saw Ricky take a big step, but Jake was not terrible either.

Ricky Stanzi8/1016216.23098.1
Jake Christensen8/12998.3104.0

Ricky started Game 3, played terribly and Jake came into the game and Iowa came from behind to win.

C/ATTYDSAVGTDINTQBR
Ricky Stanzi5/14956.8021.0
Jake Christensen4/5275.40022.1

Ricky started Game 4 and every game thereafter and Jake C saw only mock up and injury play thereafter. Well, there was the disciplinary benching in the Pitt game so I guess Jake unexpectedly played a half in that game. Some fans were screaming for a change and some weren't because everyone knew a change was coming. It's a QB competition that lasted all of two games. Just guessing but given some of Ricky's wild and undisciplined play (e.g. all those pick sixes he threw) the coaching staff probably just wanted to see if Ricky would completely lose his shit in live action. I was out on the fundraising circuit at the same time, lots of crossover donors, and in hours of football bullshitting before I made by ask, I never heard anyone express anything but they were eager to see what Ricky could do.

And, what the **** bowl game are you talking about? Jake C's 2007 team didn't make a bowl so I don't know how the fans and donors were screaming after the bowl game. Ricky started the 2008/09 Outback Bowl win against South Carolina.

The Banks commentary is an actual lie. Brad himself has said he wasn't prepared to start his first year as a JC transfer. That Michigan thing is as silly, tired, old and false. First, even if BB played that well in one game, he certainly didn't play that well over the season. Even amidst good play against Michigan Brad made a few really bone headed plays that the revisionists/bitchers conveniently overlook as they beat the 20 year old yarn about BBs junior year. Like running OB, without pressure, short of the line to game because he lost track of where he was on third down. That's two wasted possession killed by a young QBs lack of poise.

Reality matters dude. It really does.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT