ADVERTISEMENT

Labas being talked down by Kirk n’ Bri?

"while guys like Bo Bower... made an art of f#cking up a two-car funeral and continued to see the field?"

Say what?
Lol. Well, that’s how fans talked about him. He and Adam Shada were probably the two most maligned players in the Kirk era, right or wrong.

Ad hi pms game h D
You literally live in a ****ing dream world. Other than CJ and Rudock forcing KF's hand by each one threatening to transfer everything you said is demonstrably false.

For example, future NFL QB Jake Rudock outplayed CJ in almost every game. Rudock threw for something like 800 yards, completed around the upper 50%s with six touchdowns in just the last three regular season games.

Jake Rudock's 2014 junior year

You described that as playing "terrible". CJ's sophomore year

Rudock was superior in every single statistical category. So, who played terrible? CJ did not outplay Rudock in any game in which Rudock was healthy. CJ had the stronger arm and more long term potential so when the choice came Kirk chose greater potential and a stronger arm. Claiming that Beathard was the obvious choice and clearly outplayed Jake is, although not a lie because it's an opinion, just fantastic revisionism where the facts are misstated to serve the conclusion.

The story about Ricky and Jake C is simply a lie. Going into Ricky's true soph year (and freshmen really don't start at QB at Iowa or about 125 other schools) KF announced an open competition with junior Jake C-who started one season at Iowa-true soph Ricky Stanzi. Game 1 was an Iowa blowout, both Jake and Ricky played about the same.

Jake Christensen9/151228.11149.6
Ricky Stanzi9/14906.40028.9

Game 2 saw Ricky take a big step, but Jake was not terrible either.

Ricky Stanzi8/1016216.23098.1
Jake Christensen8/12998.3104.0

Ricky started Game 3, played terribly and Jake came into the game and Iowa came from behind to win.

C/ATTYDSAVGTDINTQBR
Ricky Stanzi5/14956.8021.0
Jake Christensen4/5275.40022.1

Ricky started Game 4 and every game thereafter and Jake C saw only mock up and injury play thereafter. Well, there was the disciplinary benching in the Pitt game so I guess Jake unexpectedly played a half in that game. Some fans were screaming for a change and some weren't because everyone knew a change was coming. It's a QB competition that lasted all of two games. Just guessing but given some of Ricky's wild and undisciplined play (e.g. all those pick sixes he threw) the coaching staff probably just wanted to see if Ricky would completely lose his shit in live action. I was out on the fundraising circuit at the same time, lots of crossover donors, and in hours of football bullshitting before I made by ask, I never heard anyone express anything but they were eager to see what Ricky could do.

And, what the **** bowl game are you talking about? Jake C's 2007 team didn't make a bowl so I don't know how the fans and donors were screaming after the bowl game. Ricky started the 2008/09 Outback Bowl win against South Carolina.

The Banks commentary is an actual lie. Brad himself has said he wasn't prepared to start his first year as a JC transfer. That Michigan thing is as silly, tired, old and false. First, even if BB played that well in one game, he certainly didn't play that well over the season. Even amidst good play against Michigan Brad made a few really bone headed plays that the revisionists/bitchers conveniently overlook as they beat the 20 year old yarn about BBs junior year. Like running OB, without pressure, short of the line to game because he lost track of where he was on third down. That's two wasted possession killed by a young QBs lack of poise.

Reality matters dude. It really does.

No wonder the media and ultimately the world is sooooo out of touch. Sound bites are what people remember. Never the the actual facts.

Lol. Well, that’s how fans talked about him. He and Adam Shada were probably the two most maligned players in the Kirk era, right or wrong.

True….he, much like Riley McCarron, we’re much maligned as “slow” and lacking athleticism. Riley of course went on to run like a 4.37 forty and suddenly these dumb coaches should have been playing him more… I mean you can’t make this shit up…

You would think they would be embarrassed at how badly they screw things up. It truly is embarrassing.

Bower went on too run I believe a 4.57 which is electric for a Lber at any level. He also made the final cut with Denver!

Now with that said, he was out of place much and although a plus athlete, he was a fairly average Lber for us IMO.

Reactions: BlackNGoldBleeder
Annnndddddd yet, we are better than we have ever been? Hayden wasn’t better than he’s ever been at the end of his career!

And funny thing…maybe, just maybe the great River boat gambler had a lot of offensive duds too, ever think of that?
I’m not talking about Hayden Fry. I’m talking about KF and his terrible offense in todays game that he refuses to improve through hiring the right people to lead his team to better results.

Would you hire your family at your work place when they don’t have a clue how your business works and put them in one of the most important positions of the company without any experience? I know I wouldn’t because it would and should lead to me getting fired for being incompetent in doing what is best for my family instead of putting the best interests of the company first and foremost.

Reactions: nbanflfactory
I’m not talking about Hayden Fry. I’m talking about KF and his terrible offense in todays game that he refuses to improve through hiring the right people to lead his team to better results.

Would you hire your family at your work place when they don’t have a clue how your business works and put them in one of the most important positions of the company without any experience? I know I wouldn’t because it would and should lead to me getting fired for being incompetent in doing what is best for my family instead of putting the best interests of the company first and foremost.

Do you know why it doesn’t lead to termination for Kirk Ferentz…? Because his last five years have pretty much been the best five years in Iowa football history in about 60 years… In fact if he keeps winning games at the rate he is, he will not ever get fired no matter how bad his offense is.

There are a whole lot of people, maybe you are one, that believe the world is a vacuum & it is completely acceptable to leave everything alone but fix 1 to 3 things…

Since I have worked in businesses including family businesses, shit never works quite the way you think it will. You start tweaking things & suddenly it changes the whole dynamic of your team or business…

I would expect in Kirks mind dramatically changing the offense dramatically changes the whole team… It honestly isn’t that hard to understand !

I’m not even saying it’s right, I’m not even saying he’s not overthinking it…I’m also not even saying maybe he’s afraid to fix anything… But it is not, I stress NOT hard to understand what’s going on here.

Its like this bullshit quarterback drama everybody’s brought up for 20 years. It’s not hard to see what was going on and Kirk isn’t abnormal for the way he handled shit only you grumpy old men who want to bitch all the time refuse to see it…

Brad Banks said he wasn’t ready, Ricky Stanzi wasn’t serious about football and quite frankly he’s one of my five all-time favorite Hawkeyes but he was a freaking turnover machine hell no I probably wouldn’t have started him… My God man

And if you detect a little frustration from me and to tell you the truth I don’t get that frustrated about this kind of bullshit anymore. But I am, it’s not that difficult to F-ing understand what’s going on here and we’re brow beating a coach that has done nothing but improve over the last 10 years of his career.

And we wanna F-ing piss & moan about his son being the offensive coordinator…hell we’ve complained about every damn offensive coordinator we’ve had and we will continue to complain about the next ones “, holy shit!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Do you know why it doesn’t lead to termination for Kirk Ferentz…? Because his last five years have pretty much been the best five years in Iowa football history in about 60 years… In fact if he keeps winning games at the rate he is, he will not ever get fired no matter how bad his offense is.

There are a whole lot of people, maybe you are one, that believe the world is a vacuum & it is completely acceptable to leave everything alone but fix 1 to 3 things…

Since I have worked in businesses including family businesses, shit never works quite the way you think it will. You start tweaking things & suddenly it changes the whole dynamic of your team or business…

I would expect in Kirks mind dramatically changing the offense dramatically changes the whole team… It honestly isn’t that hard to understand !

I’m not even saying it’s right, I’m not even saying he’s not overthinking it…I’m also not even saying maybe he’s afraid to fix anything… But it is not, I stress NOT hard to understand what’s going on here.

Its like this bullshit quarterback drama everybody’s brought up for 20 years. It’s not hard to see what was going on and Kirk isn’t abnormal for the way he handled shit only you grumpy old men who want to bitch all the time refuse to see it…

Brad Banks said he wasn’t ready, Ricky Stanzi wasn’t serious about football and quite frankly he’s one of my five all-time favorite Hawkeyes but he was a freaking turnover machine hell no I probably wouldn’t have started him… My God man

And if you detect a little frustration from me and to tell you the truth I don’t get that frustrated about this kind of bullshit anymore. But I am, it’s not that difficult to F-ing understand what’s going on here and we’re brow beating a coach that has done nothing but improve over the last 10 years of his career.

And we wanna F-ing piss & moan about his son being the offensive coordinator…hell we’ve complained about every damn offensive coordinator we’ve had and we will continue to complain about the next ones “, holy shit!!!!!!!!!
Truer words were never spoken. No matter who the next OC is or the next QB, there WILL absolutely be people on this site bitching about it. .....

Truer words were never spoken. No matter who the next OC is or the next QB, there WILL absolutely be people on this site bitching about it. .....
I think Kirk has done and continues to do a good job, but as always there is a reason why people bitch about the OC or the QB beyond the fact that Brian is Kirk's son. The offense was absolutely terrible last year and it's been bad under Brian. You can argue that people will never be happy no matter what, but you can't argue that a markedly better offense wouldn't change the narrative around Brian and the charges of nepotism because it absolutely would.

I think Kirk has done and continues to do a good job, but as always there is a reason why people bitch about the OC or the QB beyond the fact that Brian is Kirk's son. The offense was absolutely terrible last year and it's been bad under Brian. You can argue that people will never be happy no matter what, but you can't argue that a markedly better offense wouldn't change the narrative around Brian and the charges of nepotism because it absolutely would.
I don't disagree, but that doesn't change the fact that their are posters on this site who show up just to bitch regardless. Its the same thing on the bball site.

Your point isn’t wrong, but I’d challenge you to find a time they haven’t bitched about the offense….

With KOK, it was because he was to loyal to a friend to fire him…

With GD I honestly don’t know, but didn’t want to be “wrong”I guess…

Now it’s nepotism….

I’ve said this before, but I’d be embarrassed to constantly bitch like them, but I’ll wager most of them just are lifetime bitchers….

Miserable way to live!

Your point isn’t wrong, but I’d challenge you to find a time they haven’t bitched about the offense….

With KOK, it was because he was to loyal to a friend to fire him…

With GD I honestly don’t know, but didn’t want to be “wrong”I guess…

Now it’s nepotism….

I’ve said this before, but I’d be embarrassed to constantly bitch like them, but I’ll wager most of them just are lifetime bitchers….

Miserable way to live!
Well again, to be fair, the offense has been below average to bad for pretty much the last 20 years. I think what people have trouble reconciling is the disparity in success between offense and defense. I think most people who are complaining attach defensive success to the Parkers and offensive failures to whomever the OC is and Kirk. Given the lack of real change and/or consistent production from the offense over the last 20 years or so over 3 different coordinators it's probably fair to say that what we see on offense is probably more a reflection of Kirk than whomever the OC happens to be. If you're going to do that you have to give Kirk some credit for the consistently very good defense along with a good record overall. While Iowa hasn't been elite, they've been very good. For some that's enough. For others it isn't. What we know is that Kirk will run a clean program with good defense, uninspired offense and get somewhere between 8-10 wins. As with Fran or any other coach you have to accept the not so good with the good. As long as the program is winning at a decent level Kirk will be at Iowa for as long as he wants and people will continue to ask why the offense can't be more effective or exciting. It is what it is. 🤷

If the O Line doesn’t block better then it won’t matter much who is back there.
NO doubt.

Last season, we were going in with 3 guys who we felt were solid ... Linderbaum, Schott, and Ince. Schott had the whole foot-thing ... and that impeded some of his impact. Ince not only was recovering from a surgery from the prior spring ... but he also was dealing with other issues (family and depression issues) ... and those sorts of things can be hard to overcome.

The biggest enigma to me was Plumb ... he seemed to play okay towards the end of the '20 season ... so it was surprising when we weren't seeing a continuance or improvement through parts of '21.

I trust Ferentz in his assertion that he saw improvements toward the end of the season. Given Iowa's ability to run the ball against Kentucky with back-ups in the bowl-game ... that positivity seems to make some sense.

As we fast-forward to the '22 season ... IF everyone can remain suitably healthy ... then there may actually be a decent nucleus of guys about which to build a decent OL. I think Richman and Colby definitely proved themselves to be VERY promising talents. Guys like Britt, DeJong, and Plumb are, at the very least, further along developmentally. On top of that, Elsbury is a guy who the coaches liked and who at least saw regular action on special teams (if memory serves).

I honestly believe that we'll see tangible and significant improvements on the line.

There is no QB competition. Any comments to this effect are a charade.

They will start and promote the player that will conservatively run the offense in the way they want. Being the best player or giving the team the best chance to win has has absolutely nothing to do with their decision making.

Signed,

01 Brad Banks, 08 Ricky Stanzi, & 14 CJ Beathard
Brad Banks was not ready at all to be the starter in 01. I'm not sure why people believe he was.

Nice! I like that quote.

But there is a difference between thinking alike and acting alike. Maybe there is a ton of open discussion in the coaches meetings and when the decision is made, however it's made, they leave the room on the same page. They "buy-in".

I had a 40 year business career. The management group would get together, discuss strategies, make decisions and plan for the future. Then everyone would go back to their offices and do exactly whatever they were doing before, because it was easier than trying to create real change in people and organizations.

In other words, if we were a football team, we would have been 7-5 and gone to a minor bowl every year. 😑
When all is said and done…….there’s more said than done.

• Love
Reactions: Hawk_4shur
Brad Banks was not ready at all to be the starter in 01. I'm not sure why people believe he was.
Same reason why some people believe that Keegan Murray as a freshman should have been the focal point instead of Luca Garza. Funny how 18-20 years old's get better, sometimes very quickly.

Oh boy. So, Labas? KF? BF?

beuller-beuller-anyone-anyone-jpg.4432850

ADVERTISEMENT