ADVERTISEMENT

Labas being talked down by Kirk n’ Bri?

May 17, 2021
….While Petras and Padilla built up?

hearing kirk talk recently, seems Labas isnt nearly being hyped as he was in the fall and during bowl prep. Back then it was the most enthusiasm I’ve ever heard from Kirk on a qb, as well as gushing compliments from players.

Losing hope that he will be seriously given the chance to be starter.

Less sure now than months ago though. seems like the ferentz plan is to stick with what’s been done and that they are prepping media and fans for more of the same.

Where was all the enthusiasm for Labas from KF? Not bashing, I just don't remember reading it or hearing it.

I'm always skeptical of rave reviews from players about a scout team player. I've heard it before without anything coming true.

I'm expecting SP being our starting qb and hoping he's made major improvements. Any change from that and I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Does the ‘P’ not named the starter transfer? Especially if the starter is ‘SP’? If ‘AP’ Does win the starting spot , does ‘SP’ transfer? Would either or both transfer if Joe L. Gets the starting nod?

hearing kirk talk recently, seems Labas isnt nearly being hyped as he was in the fall and during bowl prep. Back then it was the most enthusiasm I’ve ever heard from Kirk on a qb, as well as gushing compliments from players.

Less sure now than months ago though. seems like the ferentz plan is to stick with what’s been done and that they are prepping media and fans for more of the same.
I’m trying to be cautiously optimistic that either Petras will have improved leaps and bounds by next fall or that Labas will get an honest look, but I have my doubts. Iowa has a lot of talent on the roster and is ready to win now. I think a lot of Iowa fans believe that, which is why frustration boils over when it seems Kirk is just being stubborn and arrogant when sticking with Petras or choosing his son to take over coaching the quarterbacks.

I love Kirk and appreciate what he’s done with the program during his tenure, but it’s hard not to think some of his personnel decisions reek of entitlement and are contrary to the best interests of competing at the highest possible level.

I love Kirk and appreciate what he’s done with the program during his tenure, but it’s hard not to think some of his personnel decisions reek of entitlement and are contrary to the best interests of competing at the highest possible level.
Entitlement? Please provide examples.

And please spare us another round of mostly debunked QB decisions like JC/Stanzi, or JR/CJ, or Banks.

When KF and the fans disagree, it hardly means KF was wrong or played someone because of entitlement.

Link to the stories where you drew these conclusions?

So, which version of Kirk are we on now? We were up to 3.0...and now with this new revelation it appears that we've regressed back to Kirk 1.0 perhaps? Maybe this is Kirk .5, all mean and full of dementia and stuff. And now Labas will transfer to UNI and throw for 19.000 yards in three seasons. 146 TDs and 3 INTs.

Reactions: not_mantiteo

Come on man ! this is silly, trying to make a story out of nothing .

Entitlement? Please provide examples.

And please spare us another round of mostly debunked QB decisions like JC/Stanzi, or JR/CJ, or Banks.

When KF and the fans disagree, it hardly means KF was wrong or played someone because of entitlement.
El oh el.

Debunked? Whatever you’re on, I’ll take half.

Oh, and I was also talking about Brian. Lemme guess, in your eyes, the nepotism charges have “mostly” been debunked too? 😆

Carry on with the white knighting.

PS: Since you’re so in to “debunking” things, please explain the difference between Amani Jones and say Bo Bower or Spencer Petras. 🤔

Reactions: ClarindaA's
El oh el.

Oh, and I was also talking about Brian. Lemme guess, in your eyes, the nepotism charges have “mostly” been debunked too? 😆

PS: Since you’re so in to “debunking” things, please explain the difference between Amani Jones and say Bo Bower or Spencer Petras. 🤔
Not a fan of BF, I'll give you that - I was thinking of players.

I'm not familiar with the controversy about Bo Bower or Amani Jones. The Spencer Petras debate is 50/50 at best on this board- neither QB is very good.

Yes, the other QB controversies mentioned are hardly due to entitlement.

Never been called a white knight before ..... ;)

• Love
Reactions: BlackNGoldBleeder
Not a fan of BF, I'll give you that - I was thinking of players.

I'm not familiar with the controversy about Bo Bower or Amani Jones. The Spencer Petras debate is 50/50 at best on this board- neither QB is very good.

Yes, the other QB controversies mentioned are hardly due to entitlement.

Never been called a white knight before ..... ;)
Lol. A’ight.

We’ll just break it down to this: Bo Bower, Amani Jones, and Spencer Petras have all had really bad performances—consistently at that. Why is it—of those three—Amani Jones gets pulled after a bad first half of football, never to see significant playing time again, while guys like Bo Bower and Spencer Petras made an art of f#cking up a two-car funeral and continued to see the field? I’m genuinely asking.

And just so I’m clear, are you saying it was not obvious that Stanzi was light years ahead of JC, or that CJB was better than Rudolph, or that Kirk doesn’t feel entitled to do whatever he wants without regard to what’s best for the team, which includes promoting his unqualified son to OC and now making him QB coach? Again, I’m genuinely asking. And for no other reason than the fun of message board bantering. In other words, it’s cool if we have different thoughts and/or opinions. 😁

Furthermore, I think it’s possible to like and respect Coach Ferentz and the overall job he has done at Iowa while still bringing certain things into question. I know there are certain PMSing 16-year-olds, like FIDM, who can’t handle it without completely losing his or her poop and going full-fledged message board stalker, but I have every faith you are mature enough to handle the questions I raise. Regardless of your white-knighting status (which is a joke btw). 😁

Lol. A’ight.

We’ll just break it down to this: Bo Bower, Amani Jones, and Spencer Petras have all had really bad performances—consistently at that. Why is it—of those three—Amani Jones gets pulled after a bad first half of football, never to see significant playing time again, while guys like Bo Bower and Spencer Petras made an art of f#cking up a two-car funeral and continued to see the field? I’m genuinely asking.

And just so I’m clear, are you saying it was not obvious that Stanzi was light years ahead of JC, or that CJB was better than Rudolph, or that Kirk doesn’t feel entitled to do whatever he wants without regard to what’s best for the team, which includes promoting his unqualified son to OC and now making him QB coach? Again, I’m genuinely asking. And for no other reason than the fun of message board bantering. In other words, it’s cool if we have different thoughts and/or opinions. 😁

Furthermore, I think it’s possible to like and respect Coach Ferentz and the overall job he has done at Iowa while still bringing certain things into question. I know there are certain PMSing 16-year-olds, like FIDM, who can’t handle it without completely losing his or her poop and going full-fledged message board stalker, but I have every faith you are mature enough to handle the questions I raise. Regardless of your white-knighting status (which is a joke btw). 😁

Regarding Petras - he continued to see the field because the Hawks had no one better, which was evidenced by AP's performance when he did play. Neither was close to being good.

It was also not obvious that CJB was "light years" ahead of JR. It was pretty close to a dead heat even in the minds of the fans on this board. KF thought JR would help them win games, until he decided CJ was the guy for 2015. It's absolutely not proof that he didn't have the best interests of the team in mind.

The JC v Stanzi controversy is bunk IMO. Stanzi admitted he wasn't serious about his commitment to football during his freshman year. So, at the beginning of 2008, the experienced QB in JC was given the nod as a starter. The two continued to split time for FOUR games - in which the Hawks were 3-1. The loss was to Pitt - JC was 12/24 for 124 yds., and Ricki was 7/10 for 79 yds. in a 1 point loss. KF handed the ball to Ricki, and they proceeded to lose the next 2 games.

KF wants to win games. If you "like and respect" him you can't at the same time think he doesn't want to win games. We don't see what goes on in practice and we don't see the leadership or lack thereof either.

KF may not make the personnel decisions you want, and he may make mistakes, but to say he doesn't have the best interests of the team at heart is unwarranted.

Link to the stories where you drew these conclusions?
While driving I heard parts of Kirks press conference and he was almost entirely talking about Petras and Padilla and said Labas, since he never played, is “behind” and has a lot to learn.

but I seem to remember a time when neither Petras nor Padilla played and they started.

i don’t spend much time reading FB or BB articles, and don’t want to get into turf battles over threads or whatever. Just passing on info and noting quite a change of tone in what Kirk was saying.

so many huge and hugely fragile egos on these boards though. As the Great Orange Wannabe Dictator likes to tweet: “Sad!”

Regarding Petras - he continued to see the field because the Hawks had no one better, which was evidenced by AP's performance when he did play. Neither was close to being good.

It was also not obvious that CJB was "light years" ahead of JR. It was pretty close to a dead heat even in the minds of the fans on this board. KF thought JR would help them win games, until he decided CJ was the guy for 2015. It's absolutely not proof that he didn't have the best interests of the team in mind.

The JC v Stanzi controversy is bunk IMO. Stanzi admitted he wasn't serious about his commitment to football during his freshman year. So, at the beginning of 2008, the experienced QB in JC was given the nod as a starter. The two continued to split time for FOUR games - in which the Hawks were 3-1. The loss was to Pitt - JC was 12/24 for 124 yds., and Ricki was 7/10 for 79 yds. in a 1 point loss. KF handed the ball to Ricki, and they proceeded to lose the next 2 games.

KF wants to win games. If you "like and respect" him you can't at the same time think he doesn't want to win games. We don't see what goes on in practice and we don't see the leadership or lack thereof either.

KF may not make the personnel decisions you want, and he may make mistakes, but to say he doesn't have the best interests of the team at heart is unwarranted.
I’ve never questioned that Kirk wants to win games or that he believes his decisions give the team the best chance to win. What I brought into question is his judgment. Specifically, does he feel comfortable enough—or entitled if you will—to make decisions without proper scrutiny or without surrounding himself with assistants comfortable with being honest with him in order to avoid groupthink? And, again, I’m genuinely asking.

To be clear, I am 100% saying I believe Kirk wants to win and does everything he believes is necessary to win. To think otherwise is silly, and we’ve seen fans assert that based off their “fat cat” theories, and they are all utterly stupid.

Ultimately, which I think you can make a case is an issue for Fran as well, has Kirk built a staff who will challenge his thinking, or has he hired a bunch of yes men? Granted, while there is a lot that undoubtedly goes into coaching dialogues and decisions—and I have little doubt substantive conversations among the coaches do occur regularly—I can’t help but wonder the extent of that, as I see evidence of a lot of groupthink within the Iowa football program.

That’s basically all I’m asking.

I’m trying to be cautiously optimistic that either Petras will have improved leaps and bounds by next fall or that Labas will get an honest look, but I have my doubts. Iowa has a lot of talent on the roster and is ready to win now. I think a lot of Iowa fans believe that, which is why frustration boils over when it seems Kirk is just being stubborn and arrogant when sticking with Petras or choosing his son to take over coaching the quarterbacks.

And yet, you say that, and I get the sentiment, I don’t agree with it but I definitely get where you’re coming from…

Seriously I too get frustrated at times as well!

Yet we are in our most sustained time in essentially 40 years per se with a couple other pretty good consecutive seasons in a row with Fry and Kirk both… So they’ve done some amazing things. And clearly he hasn’t gotten “stale” because he deserves pretty much all the credit for the talent upgrade to the process upgrade to the game management upgrade etc. etc. so you take the good with the bad… I guess for me I live with the fact that we have a good coach whether I agree with everything he does or not?!

And yet, you say that, and I get the sentiment, I don’t agree with it but I definitely get where you’re coming from…

Seriously I too get frustrated at times as well!

Yet we are in our most sustained time in essentially 40 years per se with a couple other pretty good consecutive seasons in a row with Fry and Kirk both… So they’ve done some amazing things. And clearly he hasn’t gotten “stale” because he deserves pretty much all the credit for the talent upgrade to the process upgrade to the game management upgrade etc. etc. so you take the good with the bad… I guess for me I live with the fact that we have a good coach whether I agree with everything he does or not?!
I agree. As frustrated as I get with certain things about Kirk, the good far outweigh the bad. And I also think a bad hire in college football can set a program back several years in comparison to basketball, where you can turn a team around in a year (see Iow State), so I tread a lot more softly on wanting Kirk’s retirement hastened.

Still, the Iowa offense was absolutely painful to watch most of last season. And I think it’s fair, as a fan, to want to see changes and improvements. And placing Brian Ferentz in the role of QB coach bothers me a lot. And while I don’t want to root against Petras, as he seems like a good kid and I therefore sincerely hope he does well this season and proves people wrong, I’m not too optimistic.

🤷‍♂️

I’ve never questioned that Kirk wants to win games or that he believes his decisions give the team the best chance to win. What I brought into question is his judgment. Specifically, does he feel comfortable enough—or entitled if you will—to make decisions without proper scrutiny or without surrounding himself with assistants comfortable with being honest with him in order to avoid groupthink? And, again, I’m genuinely asking.

To be clear, I am 100% saying I believe Kirk wants to win and does everything he believes is necessary to win. To think otherwise is silly, and we’ve seen fans assert that based off their “fat cat” theories, and they are all utterly stupid.

Ultimately, which I think you can make a case is an issue for Fran as well, has Kirk built a staff who will challenge his thinking, or has he hired a bunch of yes men? Granted, while there is a lot that undoubtedly goes into coaching dialogues and decisions—and I have little doubt substantive conversations among the coaches do occur regularly—I can’t help but wonder the extent of that, as I see evidence of a lot of groupthink within the Iowa football program.

That’s basically all I’m asking.
A head coach by definition is entitled to make final decisions. What kind of advice they get and from whom is also within their purview. That is how organizations work. You are free to disagree but questioning whether Kirk should be “entitled “ to make decisions is just plain silly.

Petras has been here long enough and everyone knows he's got a low ceiling.

It's about minimizing mistakes.

SSDD.

You know it’s funny that..and how people look at things so differently. I have some excitement for it to be Joey Labas but if it isn’t I definitely want it to be Petras!

Meaning I would hope he improved that much! Mostly I hope it’s Labas is just better.

I don’t get the fans love for Padilla, yes he’s way more mobile l. But he does not have any of the arm attributes with just as sketchy play making and errant throws!!

Last edited:
El oh el.

Armani was a wrecking machine that had trouble in pass coverage and diagnosing plays. Bower was a senior and Jones a freshman so maybe I missed your point. Petra’s is to slow for a Will or Leo

This is actually really good, no further mention needed!

A head coach by definition is entitled to make final decisions. What kind of advice they get and from whom is also within their purview. That is how organizations work. You are free to disagree but questioning whether Kirk should be “entitled “ to make decisions is just plain silly.
Jt -Perfectly stated. After 22 or so years on this board what BNGB asked was in the top 3 of most bizarre statements ever. 25 years of results - good or bad are the KF legacy and one that he has fully taken the blame solely but shared the kudos for success. That is not done by a leader afraid to make decisions or whom has insulated himself from making any at all. To a man, neither a coach or player - have never stated (to my knowledge) that he wasn’t the man in charge.

random thoughts
1. If labas ascends i’ll be pleased. If he doesn’t get there this season and Petras starts, it will not necessarily disappoint or annoy me as long as Iowa generates a very good W-L record.
2. Even if Labas doesn’t start this year, doesn’t mean he isn’t / won’t be fantastic— he’ll still have 3 years after P to be the man. also wouldn’t mean coaches are blowing smoke up our ass.
3. Qb is about more than generating passing yards. I have zero issues winning with either dilfer (Petras) or with mahomes (Labas) :)

Jt -Perfectly stated. After 22 or so years on this board what BNGB asked was in the top 3 of most bizarre statements ever. 25 years of results - good or bad are the KF legacy and one that he has fully taken the blame solely but shared the kudos for success. That is not done by a leader afraid to make decisions or whom has insulated himself from making any at all. To a man, neither a coach or player - have never stated (to my knowledge) that he wasn’t the man in charge.

As I’ve tried to deemphasize the latitude of my sports obsession in recent years. Mostly to make them have less importance in my life.

You know whining and bitching and crying on Saturday after a loss isn’t really a productive endeavor for a 51 year old man 🤓…

With that said; Your observation….?? 🤔I’ve never quite looked at it with that depth of totality but you are exactly spot on!!

Kudos!!

Last edited:
Reactions: kceasthawk

I am with you, I hope he improves as I to think he is going to be the day one started. I don't think Petras is a great QB, but I don't think he is as bad as a lot of people think. The OL was not good last year and we did not have much of a running game to help. Petras is not a QB that can consistently be called upon to march the team down the field with his arm alone, he is going to need at least an average running game behind him, same as Pedilla. I think if the OL improves both Petras and Padilla are salvageable QB's. I don't care who takes the snaps as long as they offense improves, but that improvement needs to start along the front line. Then I see we got this QB coach from Wisconsin, which baffles me since I don't remember Wisconsin having any better QB play then Iowa has. LOL

ADVERTISEMENT