ADVERTISEMENT

Lack of PG on display last night

Ihawkhoops

HR All-American
Dec 10, 2015
You put McKinley Wright on Iowa's roster and this team is significantly better--like we would make the NCAA this year better. I know, he was a Dayton recruit and they are an elite program that we can't compete with. It was painful to watch Bohannon and Connor dribble last night. That was as sad of a display of PG play as I have seen since Lickliter Jr. tried breaking the press against MSU in his baggy shorts and 2xl t-shirt.

A few things are very clear to me after last night. 1) There is no PG on this roster. 2) Dailey should have played more last year and should play a more prominent role this year. Only guy who can go north-south with the basketball. 3) Ellingson should not be put out there to handle the ball...unfair to the kid. 4) Fran needs to take the white combo guard blinders off and go find a PG who isn't 3 speeds too slow and has handles. 5) Fran has to figure out how to get the ball out of Bohannon's hands so he can a: not be prey for quicker guards and b: so he can get more looks. 7:41 with 1 FG is pathetic.

Props to Dailey for stepping up when the rest of the team went into safe space mode. Also credit Bohannon for showing a spark of creativity with his two jumpers in the lane. Needs to do more of that vs. holding the ball and trying to square up against a quicker defender. Last but not least, Pemsl for bringing some much needed intensity on both ends. Dude played his A** off all night.

It makes me so mad to think about Fran wasting his time recruiting 2 more big men last class.

A guard like Wright puts us in the ncaa this year.

Instead we have centers trying to play the 3, 4s bringing the ball up and we'll be lucky to make the NIT.

Reactions: ScoutRefugee
After Connor's first time in last night...(JoBo) in foul trouble. He was totally gassed and exhausted. He never did recover physically. Evidently, mono has taken it's toll on him big time. I also think that JoBo played better in the 2nd half. Several times he put his head down and took care of business. The defender on him last night was very very quick. As are most Pg's.

OP is spot on. Watching Ellingson bring the ball up is as painful as watching Garza run up the floor.
The most frustrating part is how in the hell does Colorado get a PG like that?
They have zero basketball tradition and play in the PAC 10, 12, 14 or whatever it is now.
Will Fran ever recruit a PG?
If he doesn't, he will be fired!

Our problem with point guard recruiting is on display right now with Carton. We obviously want him and he’s our top target but we are sinking everything into getting him. That’s the problem because I’m not confident he’s going to select us if there are a lot of other good offers.

We should be pursuing heavily other plan B options. A guy like this that meets our criteria that would go to a Colorado, PSU, etc or good mid-major. It can be an under the radar guy if he meets the criteria; quick, creates for others, decent shot and can play both ends.

You look at Dailey out of Ohio.... under-the-radar guy committed to Rutgers I think before us. He’s blossoming into a good player for us. Aaron White out of Ohio was under-the-radar. Ohio has some pretty good ballers by the way that are often lightly recruited. Sapp was really solid for us and under-the-radar. There’s tons of guys who fit the mold.

The problem is we sink all of our energy into one high profile guy and then do not get him with zero contingency plan.

Conner will struggle with conditioning the entire year. If you've never had mono...it takes a long time to get back to full strength.

I honestly believe Fran doesn't value a point guard as a need on his teams. Otherwise he would have made it a much higher priority in recruiting. JoBo is OK at it, but against quality points, he's going to have issues - and it certainly appears that something is just not right with him physically right now, which exasperates this. He just doesn't seem to have much "bounce in his step" like last year.

And no, nilekinnick1938, Dailey is not the answer there...at least not right now anyway. Dailey certainly needs to play more...but to say "he's our point"...nope.

You put McKinley Wright on Iowa's roster and this team is significantly better--like we would make the NCAA this year better. I know, he was a Dayton recruit and they are an elite program that we can't compete with. It was painful to watch Bohannon and Connor dribble last night. That was as sad of a display of PG play as I have seen since Lickliter Jr. tried breaking the press against MSU in his baggy shorts and 2xl t-shirt.

A few things are very clear to me after last night. 1) There is no PG on this roster. 2) Dailey should have played more last year and should play a more prominent role this year. Only guy who can go north-south with the basketball. 3) Ellingson should not be put out there to handle the ball...unfair to the kid. 4) Fran needs to take the white combo guard blinders off and go find a PG who isn't 3 speeds too slow and has handles. 5) Fran has to figure out how to get the ball out of Bohannon's hands so he can a: not be prey for quicker guards and b: so he can get more looks. 7:41 with 1 FG is pathetic.

Props to Dailey for stepping up when the rest of the team went into safe space mode. Also credit Bohannon for showing a spark of creativity with his two jumpers in the lane. Needs to do more of that vs. holding the ball and trying to square up against a quicker defender. Last but not least, Pemsl for bringing some much needed intensity on both ends. Dude played his A** off all night.

I know this is a dead horse topic, but could not agree more plus some good Lil' Lick comedy!

With Ellingson, you are spot on, he should not be forced to play point at all. Now, I do believe he is a scorer that can play a role for us. But dribbling against quick teams is a recipe for disaster. Also agree with #5. Its a shame Moss is not a better ball handler. I kind of view Moss as a 3 (skillset wise, maybe a combo 2/3), with combined with JoBo, means our guard ball handling skills are weak sauce.

Reactions: Ihawkhoops
Conner will struggle with conditioning the entire year. If you've never had mono...it takes a long time to get back to full strength.

I honestly believe Fran doesn't value a point guard as a need on his teams. Otherwise he would have made it a much higher priority in recruiting. JoBo is OK at it, but against quality points, he's going to have issues - and it certainly appears that something is just not right with him physically right now, which exasperates this. He just doesn't seem to have much "bounce in his step" like last year.

And no, nilekinnick1938, Dailey is not the answer there...at least not right now anyway. Dailey certainly needs to play more...but to say "he's our point"...nope.

I am curious why you say “nope” to Dailey being our point. I am not saying right or wrong, just curious. To me, he has been the best ball handler and needs to be on the floor a lot more.

I am curious why you say “nope” to Dailey being our point. I am not saying right or wrong, just curious. To me, he has been the best ball handler and needs to be on the floor a lot more.

Because theres still allot of people klinging to the idea JBO can play point at this level.

Hes a fantastic shooter but teams have adapted to take that away.

Its never going to look like last year again because opponents are picking him up so much further out this year and he just doesn't physically possess the quickness to counter it.

He can still be productive but they have to change how they are using him.

Because theres still allot of people klinging to the idea JBO can play point at this level.

Hes a fantastic shooter but teams have adapted to take that away.

Its never going to look like last year again because opponents are picking him up so much further out this year and he just doesn't physically possess the quickness to counter it.

He can still be productive but they have to change how they are using him.

I was at the game last night and it is obvious that JoBo isn't half as fast as Colorado's PG. At the same time he ended the game with 14 and I'm thinking I saw he missed 2 3's wide open. He could have very easily ended the game with 20. That isn't horrible imo.

Reactions: perryhawk
I was at the game last night and it is obvious that JoBo isn't half as fast as Colorado's PG. At the same time he ended the game with 14 and I'm thinking I saw he missed 2 3's wide open. He could have very easily ended the game with 20. That isn't horrible imo.

No, he still has a big role but he cant be the main initiator of the offensive with the ball in his hands.

His shots need to come from other ways rather than off the dribble like most of them last year.

You don't have to watch too many mid major games to pick out a primary ball handling and distributing point guard that could start for Iowa right now.

How can it be so hard to come up with options B, C, and D if recruit option A chooses to go elsewhere? It's not possible to turn one guy that was going to an Akron or central Michigan? Or maybe aim even higher and poach a kid from a mid Tenn state?

Reactions: HawkLogic
Our problem with point guard recruiting is on display right now with Carton. We obviously want him and he’s our top target but we are sinking everything into getting him. That’s the problem because I’m not confident he’s going to select us if there are a lot of other good offers.

We should be pursuing heavily other plan B options. A guy like this that meets our criteria that would go to a Colorado, PSU, etc or good mid-major. It can be an under the radar guy if he meets the criteria; quick, creates for others, decent shot and can play both ends.

You look at Dailey out of Ohio.... under-the-radar guy committed to Rutgers I think before us. He’s blossoming into a good player for us. Aaron White out of Ohio was under-the-radar. Ohio has some pretty good ballers by the way that are often lightly recruited. Sapp was really solid for us and under-the-radar. There’s tons of guys who fit the mold.

The problem is we sink all of our energy into one high profile guy and then do not get him with zero contingency plan.

What? We have three 2019 offers out right now and continue to recruit all of them.

I am sure in practice these guys hold their own with each other, which makes it that much more intimidating when every team we face has quicker guards. What works against Ellingson in practice for Bohannon doesn't work against athletic guards. To be clear, not knocking Bohannon, just stating the dude is grossly out of position and isn't going to be a different athlete next year or the year after.

Interesting Observation: (Edited, forgot the obvious JoBo, my apologies).

Since 2010 Fran has signed FOUR players that are 6'1" or shorter:

Bryce Cartwright
Anthony Clemmons
Trey Dickerson
JoBo

(note: If you change the height to 6'2" it only adds one in Mike Gessel)

Last edited:
As others have proposed in other threads, get a grad transfer PG next year to bridge the gap until Carton, McKinney, Watts, or Terry come aboard in 2019.

In that scenario, the open ride results from Ellingson doing the grad transfer thing. I'd be surprised if Brady is here next year, it's a win-win as he will get more PT at a mid-major say while Iowa gets some help in a much needed position until a stud PG in 2019 comes aboard. Iowa has fulfilled it's obligation to him.

As others have proposed in other threads, get a grad transfer PG next year to bridge the gap until Carton, McKinney, Watts, or Terry come aboard in 2019.

In that scenario, the open ride results from Ellingson doing the grad transfer thing. I'd be surprised if Brady is here next year, it's a win-win as he will get more PT at a mid-major say while Iowa gets some help in a much needed position until a stud PG in 2019 comes aboard. Iowa has fulfilled it's obligation to him.

Agreed, Daily and Connor have passed him in the rotation and you can mark down Weiskamp in front of him for next year.

Theres no pt to be had here next year.

A grad transfer is the perfect scenario if Fran will accept reality.

Right again, are you my long lost twin? :)

Reactions: And1Hawk
What? We have three 2019 offers out right now and continue to recruit all of them.

And which player do we know we can get of that group? We need to have 1 player we feel good about that is going to say yes. That’s your starting point. Then if that player is not your #1 target you go to the others and make one last pitch letting them know how much you want them but if they don’t commit you are going with another player because we can’t wait.

Instead Fran will be sitting there without any of them saying then we don’t need a point guard.

And which player do we know we can get of that group? We need to have 1 player we feel good about that is going to say yes. That’s your starting point. Then if that player is not your #1 target you go to the others and make one last pitch letting them know how much you want them but if they don’t commit you are going with another player because we can’t wait.

Instead Fran will be sitting there without any of them saying then we don’t need a point guard.

LOL!!!! Recruiting is so easy!!!!

LOL!!!! Recruiting is so easy!!!!

Never said it was... but you can’t get left holding the bag time and time again. Fran should be able to get a solid point guard that is ending up at all kinds of less desirable destinations. Start there with money in the bank then go after a bigger fish instead of the other way where we end up with no one.

Reactions: hawkeyeguy69

IMO the bar is set entirely too high with Carton, McKinney, Watts, and Terry. Have your pick at any recurting sight and these guys can all be top 75 recruits nationally. Here is where I think Fran is poor in recruiting. He puts all his eggs in one basket with these high profile PGs and when they all decide to go elsewhere, we scramble for a CWill-type prospect. I really hope this staff has other 100-130ranked players nationally that they have been talking to as well because talking history, we aren’t likely to land any of the 4 mentioned. Hopefully Carton being an Iowa boy will break the mold but it’s still not a clear decision. It’s amazing to me how this staff can’t go to Detroit, Philly, Chicago, even STL and find an under recruited PG who will be able to break someone down off the bounce. For example, Shaun Williams out of Hazelwood in STL has one offer to K-State and he is committed. Watch some film in the guy, he is more explosive than anyone we have on our roster and probably ever will.
https://www.google.com/amp/amp.kansas.com/sports/college/big-12/kansas-state/article183488486.html

Connor should redshirt. He may be a decent 2 guard in 3 years. He isn't our answer at the point this year. Or any year. We need a true PG. End of story.

I hope Fran doesn't have the father-needs-to-play-his-son-syndrome, or we will never get over the hump.... All I can do it complain and cross my fingers.

After Connor's first time in last night...(JoBo) in foul trouble. He was totally gassed and exhausted. He never did recover physically. Evidently, mono has taken it's toll on him big time. I also think that JoBo played better in the 2nd half. Several times he put his head down and took care of business. The defender on him last night was very very quick. As are most Pg's.

The problem with your complaint is that fran has targeted and landed a 4* PG already. Technically two.
Well call if 1.5. 1.5 in 8 years is not ideal. Especially when one was in the second year of a shattered program, and the other isn’t a true PG that this system needs.

People act like this is a recruiting issue specific to PG. do people truly think fran can’t recruit point point guards but he can beat out top programs for other positions? It’s not a pg problem, it’s just how things have unfolded.

Based on the last three recruiting classes I have no reason to believe that we won’t land one of our top pg targets in 2019.

People act like this is a recruiting issue specific to PG. do people truly think fran can’t recruit point point guards but he can beat out top programs for other positions? It’s not a pg problem, it’s just how things have unfolded.

Based on the last three recruiting classes I have no reason to believe that we won’t land one of our top pg targets in 2019.
That’s statement doesn’t make much sense..

I think the level of the other players on the team should help bring on a top PG in 2019. I have no inside knowledge, but I hope Fran has made it clear to all of his top 75 offers that it is first come, gets the scholarship. Everyone mentions Carton, who would be great, but any of those mentioned would really help. I also believe that getting two PGs in the 2019 and 2020 classes, preferably one in each, is a great idea. He could sell them on playing much of the time together. Nothing better than having two guys with PG skills on the court, as long as at least one is a good outside shooter.

The problem with your complaint is that fran has targeted and landed a 4* PG already. Technically two.

Connor and Gesell and Bohannon? None has/had the extra gear that McKinley of Colorado showed. Connor and JayBo both struggled with McKinley defending them. The quickness difference was dramatic and obvious in my opinion.

Connor and Gesell and Bohannon? None has/had the extra gear that McKinley of Colorado showed. Connor and JayBo both struggled with McKinley defending them. The quickness difference was dramatic and obvious in my opinion.

Connor and Gesell. Bohannon was not highly regarded and was clearly a fallback to carr, Austin, etc.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT