ADVERTISEMENT

Landslide Loss in the Governor's Race

This is a combination of Iowa Dems on the one hand not being a well-run party for a while - only guy who’d have had a shot was Sand, and he clearly looked at the tea leaves and saw this wasn’t going to be a good midterm season. And on the other hand, Iowa as others have noted has simply turned hard to the right at the moment.

only hope I have is that economic news improves by November and MAYBE Franken has a shot vs Grassley.
Sand is a clown.

Well if it bothers you so much, then step up and help these guys out. They're high on emotion right now and short on facts.
1. No one is emotional.

2. There are numerous facts that have been presented. You are the one choosing to imply it’s more believable Eric Branstad wasn’t under the influence but is instead just that much of an idiot to nearly hit two cars before fatally colliding with a third. It’s a brilliant theory, Northern.

Reactions: torbee
Funding schools - not giving teachers raises - that improves Iowa Public Education. Lower Drug prices. Lower Health Care costs. Better state infrastructure. Better pay for workers - which will get more people out of poverty, lowering crime rates. Stricter gun laws - not a ban. Environmental protections so bodies of water in Iowa are safer to use.

That's just a start. To me the biggest is health care and prescription drug prices. Your party wants nothing to do with lowering those costs. Your party votes against every single thing I listed. That doesn't even touch voting against aid to veterans, voting against alleviating price gouging, bringing in baby formula...all that recently at the national level.

Republicans get you sooooooo pissed off about various things and then vote against fixing any of those things when Democrats try to do something. I don't know what else to tell you.
What are your thoughts on how to truly fix funding for education? We all know the practice of property taxes being used to fund school districts is fundamentally flawed.

What is your plan to pay teacher's for performance rather than years of service?

What is your plan for better pay for workers?

What are your thoughts on reducing health care costs and prescription drug prices?

How do we pay for better state infrastructure?

What companies are price gouging and what do you cite to support this belief?

What legislation was on the table for aid to veterans that was rejected by R's or D's?

1. No one is emotional.

2. There are numerous facts that have been presented. You are the one choosing to imply it’s more believable Eric Branstad wasn’t under the influence but is instead just that much of an idiot to nearly hit two cars before fatally colliding with a third. It’s a brilliant theory, Northern.

I'm not implying anything.

I'm really surprised that you lack the understanding that head on collisions happen regularly across this country and many times alcohol is not involved.

Once again, what are your facts of alcohol use?

I could add another 20-30 bullet items, but it's getting depressing.
Again, just another list of liberal talking points. You have no way of knowing or have any say in what is in "MY" best interest, so the left continually stating that Republican's vote against their own interests is simple BS.

Hubbel wasn’t an awful candidate…but yes….Deidre Dejear is not a good candidate. I have tried to listen and learn but nothing she has said is inspired me to get out to the polls enthusiastically….I will still vote for her….but like many elections in Iowa in the last decade I realize my vote is a waste of time….and that stinks since we are left with Kimmy and the radical right running the show

Reactions: cigaretteman
Again, just another list of liberal talking points. You have no way of knowing or have any say in what is in "MY" best interest, so the left continually stating that Republican's vote against their own interests is simple BS.
Lol. Yeah, having clean water to drink or good schools for your kids isn’t in your “best interest.

Sure buddy. 🙄

You are the postcard for what OP was talking about.

@Hawkeyenuts66 Show me how I'm wrong. All you do is giggle. Can't have a conversation. Apparently you're fine with all of this. Otherwise explain to me how cons are for lower drug and healthcare costs, for starters. Explain to me how they want to fund schools. Add stripping SS and Medicaid to the list of voting against your own interests. Explain how they don't steal from us and plan to continue.
You are wrong by thinking that any of your talking points are in "MY" best interest. I have no interest in paying higher taxes to fund projects that have zero affect on my life. I'm not giggling, I'm laughing at you.

You want to go off about all kinds of social programs that's fine; but just throwing money at a perceived issues without drilling down to the root cause of why it's actually needed or if it can be fixed without additional funding is pure lunacy.

You are wrong by thinking that any of your talking points are in "MY" best interest. I have no interest in paying higher taxes to fund projects that have zero affect on my life. I'm not giggling, I'm laughing at you.

You want to go off about all kinds of social programs that's fine; but just throwing money at a perceived issues without drilling down to the root cause of why it's actually needed or if it can be fixed without additional funding is pure lunacy.

Improving water quality in the lakes and rivers isn’t in your best interest?

Lol. Yeah, having clean water to drink or good schools for your kids isn’t in your “best interest.

Sure buddy. 🙄

You are the postcard for what OP was talking about.
Your scare tactics won't work on me so you can file then away for another day. You want to talk about good schools? Maybe you should look at what and how our students are being taught.

When a high school kid can't write in cursive, hasn't been taught mathematical tables and has to use a calculator to make change for a dollar there is something wrong and it isn't funding.

As for water conservation, the farmers I know are way more involved with water quality and land conservation than any one of you city slickers that think you know what it takes. More regulations aren't going to help them out or the problem.

The urban watershed is a major source of pollution in our waters. The runoff from city streets, parking lots and construction zones pass a large about of waste into the water. Now add in all the chemicals used on lawns, golf courses, city parts and such. All of this runs down the storm drain sewer directly into the Cedar River. What about the amount of human waste that is produced in a city the size of CR and the impact leaks can have? There are way more problems than just adding more federal government oversight. Throwing money at it, won't fix it.

Improving water quality in the lakes and rivers isn’t in your best interest?
There are programs on both sides of the isle that address pollution, throwing money at something or adding more federal oversight isn't fixing anything. What's the plan? Or is this just another, you have to vote it in to see what's in it type of thing?

There are programs on both sides of the isle that address pollution, throwing money at something or adding more federal oversight isn't fixing anything. What's the plan? Or is this just another, you have to vote it in to see what's in it type of thing?

Iowa has for years had a serious problem with pollution in our lakes and rivers. It’s only been getting worse, and the gop has controlled both the governors house and state legislature for more than a decade. This isn’t a both sides issue in this instance. The money being spent on this in Iowa is either insufficient, poorly allocated and not being used effectively.

I’ve seen no sign that this is a priority by the gop.

Reactions: torbee
Your scare tactics won't work on me so you can file then away for another day. You want to talk about good schools? Maybe you should look at what and how our students are being taught.

When a high school kid can't write in cursive, hasn't been taught mathematical tables and has to use a calculator to make change for a dollar there is something wrong and it isn't funding.

As for water conservation, the farmers I know are way more involved with water quality and land conservation than any one of you city slickers that think you know what it takes. More regulations aren't going to help them out or the problem.

The urban watershed is a major source of pollution in our waters. The runoff from city streets, parking lots and construction zones pass a large about of waste into the water. Now add in all the chemicals used on lawns, golf courses, city parts and such. All of this runs down the storm drain sewer directly into the Cedar River. What about the amount of human waste that is produced in a city the size of CR and the impact leaks can have? There are way more problems than just adding more federal government oversight. Throwing money at it, won't fix it.
No one is trying to scare you. Your brain is broken. Good luck.

"City slickers." lol.
The truly amusing part is I am an upper middle class, white, Christian male living in a 90% white, formerly purple but now red political state.

I actually DO benefit (financially at least) from the majority of the Iowa GOP platform. We pocketed a lot of cash with the tax breaks, the spouse's company handles hazmat, so less regulation makes their life easier. I could afford to put my kids in private school, but we live in a high-income area so the public schools my kids went to are among the best not only in the state, but all of America.

But see, I'm not a selfish prick, so I believe the government should be taking an active role in making sure others of lower income or in historically marginalized communities get a leg up. It seems a majority of my fellow Iowans, though, would rather see all legislation aimed at making the rich richer, the comfortable more comfortable, and to hell with whatever collateral damage that incurs whether environmental, societal or cultural.

I'm going to be fine, so my advocacy on these issues is not remotely self-serving. Cant't say the same for the majority of Iowa Republicans though.

The alcoholic Govenor is turning the state to trash and will be rewarded with double digit victory.

Also if someone is willing to overlook the long list of scandals and failures because I called an alcoholic an alcoholic than they aren't really in the middle of the political spectrum.

Never realized the "alcohol connection " between Braindead's son and the current Iowa Governor.
Iowa has a history of alcoholic governors starting with Democrat Harold Hughes...

In 1952, after years as an alcoholic, Hughes attempted suicide. He described in his book how he climbed into a bathtub (to make the mess easier to clean up) with a shotgun, ready to pull the trigger, when he cried out to God for help. He had a spiritual experience that changed the course of his life. He began to pray and study the Bible diligently, and even considered a career in the ministry. He also embraced the Alcoholics Anonymous program of recovery and started an AA group in Ida Grove, Iowa, in 1955.

Reactions: win4jj
Iowa has a history of alcoholic governors starting with Democrat Harold Hughes...

In 1952, after years as an alcoholic, Hughes attempted suicide. He described in his book how he climbed into a bathtub (to make the mess easier to clean up) with a shotgun, ready to pull the trigger, when he cried out to God for help. He had a spiritual experience that changed the course of his life. He began to pray and study the Bible diligently, and even considered a career in the ministry. He also embraced the Alcoholics Anonymous program of recovery and started an AA group in Ida Grove, Iowa, in 1955.
Thanks Lute.

The truly amusing part is I am an upper middle class, white, Christian male living in a 90% white, formerly purple but now red political state.

I actually DO benefit (financially at least) from the majority of the Iowa GOP platform. We pocketed a lot of cash with the tax breaks, the spouse's company handles hazmat, so less regulation makes their life easier. I could afford to put my kids in private school, but we live in a high-income area so the public schools my kids went to are among the best not only in the state, but all of America.

But see, I'm not a selfish prick, so I believe the government should be taking an active role in making sure others of lower income or in historically marginalized communities get a leg up. It seems a majority of my fellow Iowans, though, would rather see all legislation aimed at making the rich richer, the comfortable more comfortable, and to hell with whatever collateral damage that incurs whether environmental, societal or cultural.

I'm going to be fine, so my advocacy on these issues is not remotely self-serving. Cant's say the same for the majority of Iowa Republicans though.
There seems to be no greater good in America anymore. Only what is good for me. Not sure that people understand what that actually means. Don't want to go to school w/minorities, I'll send my kids to Christian schools. Or home school them. And then I'll blame the public schools for teaching critical race theory that they really aren't teaching. It sounds good however.

Actually, no, I haven’t. This is not a court of law. And there are a lot of facts from which one could easily deduce Eric was under the influence of something. If you had a gun to your head and had to rightly pick if Eric was under the influence or was sober, which one are you going to pick?

Look at it this way. It was fairly common knowledge back in the day that Fred Hoiberg would get stopped for driving under the influence and the cops would just drop him off at his parents’ house. While there aren’t any public “facts” per se, that doesn’t make it any less true.
This. College towns have thousands of stories like this. Northern won’t believe them unless they make the paper.

Are you trying to out-Northern, Northern? Look it up yourself. It’s only been discussed in my state for 30+ years.
Is this a joke? You made claims, its not easily proven, so now the onus is on you to provide those who ask with the basis for your statement. ("trust me bro" isnt a source BTW).

• Haha
Reactions: Tom Paris

Did Hughes get in a car and endanger others?

I'll hang up and listen.

Iowa has for years had a serious problem with pollution in our lakes and rivers. It’s only been getting worse, and the gop has controlled both the governors house and state legislature for more than a decade. This isn’t a both sides issue in this instance. The money being spent on this in Iowa is either insufficient, poorly allocated and not being used effectively.

I’ve seen no sign that this is a priority by the gop.
Not looking for an argument, but I am looking for education and insight. Why does the left in this thread think Kim Reynolds does not support clean water. I did a quick google search and saw an article from 2018 stating she was against Federal control over Iowa rivers and lakes. Is there more to it than this?

Why do we put up such hopelessly non-competitive candidates? Is it guilt? Delusions? This is way worse than the Fred Hubble/Rita Hart disaster. The Iowa Democratic party is totally tone deaf. Congrats Kimmy.

HAHAHAHAHA!!!

Did Hughes get in a car and endanger others?
IDK, you make the call...

Hughes was born in 1922 in Ida Grove, Iowa. He married Eva Mercer in August 1941. In 1942, his brother Jesse was killed in a car accident at the age of 23. Hughes and his wife had a daughter in 1942, and shortly afterward Hughes was drafted. He served in the U.S. Army, fighting in the North African campaign, and was court-martialed for assaulting an officer. The trial resulted in Hughes' being sent to fight in Sicily in 1943. He became ill and another soldier took his place on a landing craft at Anzio. The craft exploded, killing his replacement and many others.

IDK, you make the call...

Hughes was born in 1922 in Ida Grove, Iowa. He married Eva Mercer in August 1941. In 1942, his brother Jesse was killed in a car accident at the age of 23. Hughes and his wife had a daughter in 1942, and shortly afterward Hughes was drafted. He served in the U.S. Army, fighting in the North African campaign, and was court-martialed for assaulting an officer. The trial resulted in Hughes' being sent to fight in Sicily in 1943. He became ill and another soldier took his place on a landing craft at Anzio. The craft exploded, killing his replacement and many others.
I'm talking proven instances by Brat Branstad and Iowa's current Gov.

You're making an insinuation.

Big difference, imo.

Not looking for an argument, but I am looking for education and insight. Why does the left in this thread think Kim Reynolds does not support clean water. I did a quick google search and saw an article from 2018 stating she was against Federal control over Iowa rivers and lakes. Is there more to it than this?
Look at what Reynolds has done to the Iowa DNR in regards to funding and staffing.

There's your answer. Federal funding won't cover what the current Governor wants to do.

Look at what Reynolds has done to the Iowa DNR in regards to funding and staffing.

There's your answer. Federal funding won't cover what the current Governor wants to do.

Not to mention, at least some of our rivers at least start in or run into other states, so there’s an argument for at least some federal involvement. However, she also has not done anything from her end to improve water quality either.

What are your thoughts on how to truly fix funding for education? We all know the practice of property taxes being used to fund school districts is fundamentally flawed.

What is your plan to pay teacher's for performance rather than years of service?

What is your plan for better pay for workers?

What are your thoughts on reducing health care costs and prescription drug prices?

How do we pay for better state infrastructure?

What companies are price gouging and what do you cite to support this belief?

What legislation was on the table for aid to veterans that was rejected by R's or D's?
I’m not writing a paper for you on things that have been discussed on here for years that you wouldn’t agree with anyway. Partly from ignorance and partly because you seem to like the status quo. Good questions though.
Just your first question, how do you determine performance? It’s a really tough question to answer. It’s also kind of misleading. Most of my other answers to your questions are going to be about wasteful spending. Wasting our tax dollars. I’ve complained about that for years. We can’t have nice things like socialized health care and lower drug prices because greed, we’re lied to, and Republicans believe the BS we can’t afford it.
But every other country can. Just us…the lol greatest and wealthiest country in the world.

Plug in Joni Ernst being court marshalled for striking a superior officer and plug in your best Team Blue comeback...
I am more concerned about the allegations that Ernst sexually assaulted soldiers under the her command...either through intimidation or threat.

I can understand why she's divorced

Not to mention, at least some of our rivers at least start in or run into other states, so there’s an argument for at least some federal involvement. However, she also has not done anything from her end to improve water quality either.
Reynolds trying to destroy the Iowa DNR has more to do with Ag interests not wanting oversight of CAFOs.

I am just grateful I don't live outside the city limits...close to livestock confinement facilities or rivers and streams potentially polluted.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT