ADVERTISEMENT

Lasik in Des Moines

Jan 12, 2005
Pretty self-explanatory thread title. Just getting started on researching places to have it done. Any suggestions on places to go or places to avoid? Budget is ~$3k, but would go higher if necessary. Not that I think it will make a huge difference, but I do have an astigmatism in one of my eyes (Ts & Ps appreciated).

Any help on the subject would be greatly appreciated.

I’m interested in this too (except Omaha). I went for a consultation the other day and it was $4400 for both eyes. But my insurance took away $800 supposedly. I’m wanting to know if $3600 is a good price or if I should do more shopping.

The problem with shopping is that you have to do a consultation to get a price from them. But I love an hour away from these places and you have to get your eyes dilated each time.

I had both eyes done in '03. Pretty good astigmatism and had it done in Cedar Rapids. Cost about $1800/eye.

Plainless, and no issues since. Fast recovery (I flew to Vegas the next day for vacation)

In my research I found that you should never go to the places where they fly in a doctor from out of state, run as many corrections as they can in a day your pre/post-op work is done by the place you had the surgery.

Totally worth it, best investment ever.

Reactions: Doodads and Hoohah
I got mine done at LasikPlus in WDM. Paid about $3000 total but got about $300/eye discounts. I think the $3600 mark is fairly standard. They do financing too so you can pay it out over a year if need be.

Actual procedure is painless. And quick- less than 10 min. The ride home sucks and is painful because you literally just burned off your cornea, but go home, take a nap, and when you wake up, your life is changed or the better. One of the best decisions I've ever made. Hope this helps.

Reactions: Doodads and Hoohah
I’m interested in this too (except Omaha). I went for a consultation the other day and it was $4400 for both eyes. But my insurance took away $800 supposedly. I’m wanting to know if $3600 is a good price or if I should do more shopping.

The problem with shopping is that you have to do a consultation to get a price from them. But I love an hour away from these places and you have to get your eyes dilated each time.

How about you start your own thread buddy. Mine clearly says Des Moines :cool:

Appreciate the responses so far. I'm a believer in "you get what you pay for", so I'm pretty hesitant to go with the "starting at $250/eye" shops.

Additional question: is it better to go to a place that only does Lasik or to go to eye surgeon?

Those $250 shops- what they don't tell you is that's your financed price after discount with 12 payments. So at $250 for 12 months you're still spending $3000. That $250 is just to lure you in for consultation.

Those $250 shops- what they don't tell you is that's your financed price after discount with 12 payments. So at $250 for 12 months you're still spending $3000. That $250 is just to lure you in for consultation.

Ha. That makes sense. If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is.

Reactions: Kozisek

How about you start your own thread buddy. Mine clearly says Des Moines :cool:

Appreciate the responses so far. I'm a believer in "you get what you pay for", so I'm pretty hesitant to go with the "starting at $250/eye" shops.

Additional question: is it better to go to a place that only does Lasik or to go to eye surgeon?

Wolfe Eye Clinic....end thread...

Pretty self-explanatory thread title. Just getting started on researching places to have it done. Any suggestions on places to go or places to avoid? Budget is ~$3k, but would go higher if necessary. Not that I think it will make a huge difference, but I do have an astigmatism in one of my eyes (Ts & Ps appreciated).

In Des Moines, you ask one source....Wolfe Eye Clinic. Don’t f^ck around with your eye sight.

Also if you use Wolfe Eye Clinic and your a Farm Bureau member you get a 20% discount, will save you $800. If your not a member you can sign up online for a year, costs only like $45.

My advice is go to a place that specializes in LASIK procedures, don’t go a to generalist.

Going on 20 years with mine. My only regret- is that I didn’t have it done sooner

I had my lasik done in Omaha at Nebraska Laser Eye Associates. Was a bit spendy BUT WORTH IT. I had a -1.5 in each eye with a stigmatism in my right eye. I couldn’t read the tv from 5 ft away. Now I have 15/20 vision and can easily read the smallest line at the eye dr. The Nebraska laser dr is thee best. He is one of a few who use a contact lense as a bandaid for your cornea.

My wife was about the same age and had hers done roughly 20 years ago, why do you say that?
Due to presbyopia or hardening of the eyes lenses as you age. You can't focus as well. People become more farsighted over time. I'm 42, severely near sighted, and will likely need reading glasses at next visit. My near sightedness is slowly improving with aging due to the hardening. They have had to make my prescription weaker each year for the last 3 years. Ask the ophthalmologist if I had lasik in my 20s what would be happening. He said you would still likely be seeing distance relatively well but would need reading glasses. Kind of defeats the point if you need readers.

There is also the time when cataracts kick in. When older and they operate on cataracts, they just put in lenses that correct your vision. So lasik has a bit of a sweet spot in terms that you should probably get it in your 20s. It was never really an option for me. It can cause a halo effect in bright lights. I didn't want to risk not seeing well during surgery so I passed.

https://www.allaboutvision.com/conditions/presbyopia.htm

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT