ADVERTISEMENT

Last 12 months on Earth were the hottest ever recorded, analysis finds

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
The last 12 months were the hottest Earth has ever recorded, according to a new report by Climate Central, a nonprofit science research group.

The peer-reviewed report says burning gasoline, coal, natural gas and other fossil fuels that release planet-warming gases like carbon dioxide, and other human activities, caused the unnatural warming from November 2022 to October 2023.

Over the course of the year, 7.3 billion people, or 90% of humanity, endured at least 10 days of high temperatures that were made at least three times more likely because of climate change.

“People know that things are weird, but they don’t they don’t necessarily know why it’s weird. They don’t connect back to the fact that we’re still burning coal, oil and natural gas,” said Andrew Pershing, a climate scientist at Climate Central.

“I think the thing that really came screaming out of the data this year was nobody is safe. Everybody was experiencing unusual climate-driven heat at some point during the year,” said Pershing.

The average global temperature was 1.3 degrees Celsius (2.3 degrees Fahrenheit) higher than the pre-industrial climate, which scientists say is close to the limit countries agreed not to go over in the Paris Agreement — a 1.5 C (2.7 F) rise. The impacts were apparent as one in four humans, or 1.9 billion people, suffered from dangerous heat waves.

• Wow
Reactions: BrianNole777
Part of the problem is everybody blames the micro. The truth is it’s all of us and there’s only two ways out, end greed at a corporate level or find renewables that can scale while we all continue consuming
Change is fine. Until it’s my stuff.

But slap that ribbon on and grandstand.

If everybody that said they cared stopped traveling and downsized their vehicles and homes the impact would be massive. They don’t. But they care. My ass.

Reactions: jamesvanderwulf
Change is fine. Until it’s my stuff.

But slap that ribbon on and grandstand.

If everybody that said they cared stopped traveling and downsized their vehicles and homes the impact would be massive. They don’t. But they care. My ass.
All of us home and vehicle owners combined ain’t shit in the broad spectrum of things. Give us nuclear power to run our homes, manufacturing, and businesses, that’ll make a dent.

Oh, Adam, so misguided. Capitalism has it's limitations but if you assume communism would have kept the world at constant temperature from the birth of Christ till now, I've got news for you...
Oh James, You're so simple. That you have to jump immediately to an either-or proposition to defend your beloved capitalism… well, it just tells me how simple (not to mention misguided) you are.

I have touted This Changes Everything for years. Read it and get back to me.

I'm not what you think.

a89.jpg

Oh James, You're so simple. That you have to jump immediately to an either-or proposition to defend your beloved capitalism… well, it just tells me how simple (not to mention misguided) you are.

I have touted This Changes Everything for years. Read it and get back to me.

I'm not what you think.

One of the former POTYs used to mention that book. I wonder what ever happened to him.

• Wow
Reactions: OhAdam
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT