ADVERTISEMENT

Last great athletic QB at Iowa...

Elihawk

HB Legend
Oct 5, 2001
We have all debated why we don't try to recruit more athletic type QBs who can make a few plays with the legs, but lets debate the Qbs we have had at Iowa...I am restricting my list to QB under Kirk...
1. Brad Banks, well, the best athlete QB who also had great success. for a guy without great speed (A player told me that Nate Chandler had a better 40 time), he was smart, elusive and could throw on the run.

2. CJ Beathard, again, these two are the best of the Kirk era who also had significant on the field success. Beathard was more of a tuck and run guy and man, he made some big plays with his legs. If only he were healthy his years at Iowa.

3a. Nate Chandler. Laugh if you want, but 245 lb and somewhat clumbsy looking runner had 4.65 speed and was very effective as a runner in 2003.
3b. Drew Tate...his sophomore year has to go down as one of the great QB years at Iowa under Kirk...with no running game, and no marquee WRs, he did as much with nothing as anyone I can remember. Not a great runner, but could elude the rush as well as any Iowa QB...

4. Nate Stanley...kidding, but a guy who average about 6 yard on QB sneaks has to make the list somewhere!

A bunch of guys were on the roster at various times who were good athletes: McCollum, Manson, Mansell...who am I missing?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News