ADVERTISEMENT

Last weekends recruits

rustynailhawk

HR MVP
Feb 29, 2012
Tiffin
Can anyone give any info on how the visits went? All I heard was who didn't come and how we hate Sasso now. Someone please enlighten me with some hear say! With Silva and RBY off the table, I'm getting worried. It is a must that we get top recruits to catch up. (Aka Tarps kind of wrestlers)

Cough edquinn, chief, wwdsm, pin2win

It appears the only 2 big time recruits still on our radar are Hidlay and Teske and according to many on this board we trail ISU for the latter. It also appears we are not giving the full court press to either Sasso or Rider. Am I missing anything?

It does seem that way JEDN. I didn't start this thread bc I don't think we recruit well enough, I just thought there would be more chatter. And in the middle of the last thread someone made it sound like you were dumb if you couldn't figure things out... i think things are moving up and last weekend got me excited. Now I'm bout to go Belushi on some Jack

Reactions: Bkcntry-Hawk
33 & 84 are a must. Have to flip RYB or teasdale and put full court press on Hidlay.
Is 33 and 84 a must in 2018? Wilcke will be at 84 for the next 3 years plus I'm sure Mejia will find his way in. We covered 49 and 285 with Lugo and Cass. 2019 class will be 49,57,84 MUST get year. I understand there is TONS of great talent in 2018 and I hope Iowa can add more to the 2018 class.

Is 33 and 84 a must in 2018? Wilcke will be at 84 for the next 3 years plus I'm sure Mejia will find his way in. We covered 49 and 285 with Lugo and Cass. 2019 class will be 49,57,84 MUST get year. I understand there is TONS of great talent in 2018 and I hope Iowa can add more to the 2018 class.

If you're really sure about Mejia you're probably the only one.

I think wilcke will improve but if we're trotting out unranked(high school) guys vs pfp top 5-10s consistently we are f'ed
I didn't say it's the best situation, but if you think Hidlay will come in and take Wilcke's spot at 84 as a TF or even a RSFR then your dreaming. Kollin Moore wa #81 in his class behind Wilcke and Holloway and look what he has done the last two years.

I like Cash and hope he can develop into an AA type...same thing with Mejia who is a good wrestler but academically questionable from what we're hearing. If we want to stay a top 5 team, then sure...those guys will do. But if we want to win titles, then we bring in as much top talent as we can and let the chips fall where they may in the room.

I think the point is we NEED to keep up with "those guys" and continue to get the top 10 talent. Hidlay and Teasdale fit the mold even if we have Wicke there - WHO might need up at 97 anyways. Get the talent in the room and let the guys wrestle for the spot BUT to keep pace we need elite recruits.

I didn't say it's the best situation, but if you think Hidlay will come in and take Wilcke's spot at 84 as a TF or even a RSFR then your dreaming.
That may be a reach your right. I think he wrestled 160 this past year. pfp what is he ranked?

I think the point is we NEED to keep up with "those guys" and continue to get the top 10 talent. Hidlay and Teasdale fit the mold even if we have Wicke there - WHO might need up at 97 anyways. Get the talent in the room and let the guys wrestle for the spot BUT to keep pace we need elite recruits.
If someone can tell me why Cael can get 5 top pfp in 2018 but we can't get one that'd be great.
Is it he's just that much better at recruiting? Does he get out and work harder? Or is it something else?

I didn't say it's the best situation, but if you think Hidlay will come in and take Wilcke's spot at 84 as a TF or even a RSFR then your dreaming. Kollin Moore wa #81 in his class behind Wilcke and Holloway and look what he has done the last two years.

"Dreaming" is overstating it. It isn't like Wilcke blew up as a RS frosh. Had a good nationals tournament but if not for an unfortunate injury by another guy he wouldn't have even been there.

Most people who know what they are talking about do. I just thought "dreaming" was overstating the situation by a significant amount.
It certainly is. Any top pfp wrestler is expected to come in and make an immediate impact(or after a redshirt year). I don't think wilcke has that high of a ceiling. Borderline AA in my opinion

Reactions: MVPFAN
"Dreaming" is overstating it. It isn't like Wilcke blew up as a RS frosh. Had a good nationals tournament but if not for an unfortunate injury by another guy he wouldn't have even been there.
Yes because wrestling 97 when ur natural weight is 84 is so easy at D1 level. Hidlay tried going up a weight at national duals and got crushed by Whitman at HS level.

Reactions: IAChief32
Yes because wrestling 97 when ur natural weight is 84 is so easy at D1 level. Hidlay tried going up a weight at national duals and got crushed by Whitman at HS level.

I don't think he places at 184, either.

Look, no disrespect is intended towards Wilcke here. But him losing to a RS frosh in a couple of years is hardly some pipe dream. He's not dominant.

Reactions: Mikefontenot27
Nothing. Other than a few people need to relax.
Whats irritating to me is no one seems to be questioning why we are still so far behind penn st.

Yes we have improved. We got kem, marinelli, Lee, and warner. That's in 3 classes. Look at what PSU got next year alone.

People seem content that TNT have improved their recruiting philosophy, personally I don't think they have done enough. That's just my opinion and I'm sure others will disagree and rip me apart for it

It took a while to dig this hole. It will take a while to dig out.

HWC and Perry = good momentum.

Kemerer, Marinelli, Lee, Warner = good momentum.

Lugo, Cassioppi = good momentum in the past 4 weeks. (Yeah, Brands, but what have you done for me lately?)

Listen, I agree with the negative comments. You can't out-gripe me on the decline of the program from 2010-2016. We had the world on a string and we pissed it away. It will take a while to dig out.*

PSU can only put 10 guys on the mat. The other dozen top-10 P4P guys they bring in are irrelevant. We need 10 studs to beat them. We're not there yet. We all agree.

*I'm also very good at mixed metaphors.

To be honest I have been thinking along the same line that Mike is but dont like to say it. Penn state isnt the only school that is now outperforming Iowa. We went from being all excited about a few elite kids to now holding out hope for a couple solid ones. Without the transfers and a commit change we would be really hurting right now.

Reactions: Mikefontenot27
Whats irritating to me is no one seems to be questioning why we are still so far behind penn st.

Yes we have improved. We got kem, marinelli, Lee, and warner. That's in 3 classes. Look at what PSU got next year alone.

People seem content that TNT have improved their recruiting philosophy, personally I don't think they have done enough. That's just my opinion and I'm sure others will disagree and rip me apart for it

Like I've said in other threads, the only posts I've seen you make are posts complaining that Iowa isn't PSU.

Did you post anything positive when Iowa got commitments out of Lee, Warner, Lugo, Cassioppi, etc?. I just briefly checked your post history and saw nothing in that regard.

So you come on this forum and post the same negative comments about recruiting in every single thread. We've already had those discussions numerous times over the past two years.

There is nothing wrong with wanting Iowa to keep getting better recruits, but you're just pure negativity. The worst type of sports fan imo... bashing a team when it's down, and not praising it for the achievements or positive things when they occur. No one wants to be around that kind of fan.

It's a valid concern that PSU is winning the 2018 recruiting class battle at this moment in time. I'd take your comments with a lot more sympathy, if you also posted some positive comments when we do get good news (which there has been a lot of over the past few months).

Last edited:
Like I've said on other threads, the only posts I've seen you make are posts complaining that Iowa isn't PSU.

Did you say post anything positive when Iowa got commitments out of Lee, Warner, Lugo, Cassioppi, etc?. I just briefly checked your post history and saw nothing in that regard.

So you come on this forum and post the same negative comments about recruiting in every single thread. We've already had those discussions numerous times over the past two years.

There is nothing wrong with wanting Iowa to keep getting better recruits, but you're just pure negativity. The worst type of sports fan imo. Bash a team when it's down, and not praise it for the achievements or positive things when they occur. No one wants to be around that kind of fan.

I haven't bashed Iowa Wrestling once. I've simply relayed what I know has gone on and is going on.

Yes, I'm tickled about our recruits, and have posted as much. You just keep to regurgitating the same thing over and over again with zero insight. That's annoying and really redundant. Keep seeking out the "likes", keeping track of who's "liking" what and for God sakes put your money where your mouth is. I see you type up a storm, but never see you on any lists.

Every fan base needs the rah rah cheerleader. I'm so glad it's you. Thanks for all your wonderful insight, and I look forward to seeing what other negative things you have to say about posters on a message board haha. Oh, and you "opinuons" are always just spot on. Go Hawks!

Like I've said on other threads, the only posts I've seen you make are posts complaining that Iowa isn't PSU.

Did you say post anything positive when Iowa got commitments out of Lee, Warner, Lugo, Cassioppi, etc?. I just briefly checked your post history and saw nothing in that regard.

There is nothing wrong with wanting Iowa to keep getting better recruits, but you're just pure negativity. The worst type of sports fan imo. Bash a team when it's down, and not praise it for the achievements or positive things when they occur. No one wants to be around that kind of fan.
I'm the fan who questions why we aren't doing better, because in sports, life and now as a fan I strive for the best. If your ok with mediocrity, then more power to you.

I continue to ask the same question because not one person has come up with a palpatable response. "Were heading in the right direction" or we "got lugo".

We are Iowa. We aren't UNI or ISU accepting mediocrity is not happening. Sure bang your drum you got a good heavyweight. Penn st got a great one. Ohio state has more studs, ASU has commits from 2 top 5 pfp in the country in 2019 class. Iowa hasn't done that! But I'm the worst kind of fan cus I question why not Iowa.

Your the reason we are where we are. Brands wasn't held accountable because your all too blind to see that he wasn't prepared to recruit against the others.....and spoiler alert we're falling further behind

I haven't bashed Iowa Wrestling once. I've simply relayed what I know has gone on and is going on.

Yes, I'm tickled about our recruits, and have posted as much. You just keep to regurgitating the same thing over and over again with zero insight. That's annoying and really redundant. Keep seeking out the "likes", keeping track of who's "liking" what and for God sakes put your money where your mouth is. I see you type up a storm, but never see you on any lists.

Every fan base needs the rah rah cheerleader. I'm so glad it's you. Thanks for all your wonderful insight, and I look forward to seeing what other negative things you have to say about posters on a message board haha. Oh, and you "opinuons" are always just spot on. Go Hawks!

? I was responding to Mike. Reread the quote chain before you go off.

Last edited:
Reactions: DirkTang1 and moug
But I'm the worst kind of fan cus I question why not Iowa.

I was saying the worst type of sports fan is the fan who only posts negativity and criticisms, and never posts comments of praise or recognition of any of the positive news (the signings/commitments of Lee, Warner, Cassioppi, Lugo, etc, etc.).

I agree with your general criticism that PSU is so far winning the 2018 recruiting class war. Just disagree with your sole focus of negativity on this forum.

Reactions: yerk40
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT