ADVERTISEMENT

Late Hawkeye turnover observation…

the24fan

HR Heisman
Jul 30, 2007
SIAP or discussed, and sorry if this is a bit long, however, I have admittedly been a harsh critic of CMAC most of the season and rightfully so IMo. Let’s face it he wasn’t contributing much. I’ve never been so happy to eat some major crow in the last 3 weeks or so. He’s made some big shots and I’m not sure where the hell this new shooting stroke came from but he has been fantastic.
The play I’m wanting to discuss is the late turnover with the Hawks up 2. So IU gets the turnover and was it Hennessy or Xavier Johnson who raced to the other end on a clear layup I can’t recall?
A lot of players chasing down that play as Connor was in that situation might aggressively try for the block to prevent the tie. If you watch the IU player he almost tries to initiate the contact to draw the and one! I’ve never doubted Connors basketball IQ and this play was a perfect example of someone who knew the game situation . If Connor chases him down and tries for the block maybe he fouls, the basket counts and IU now has a one point lead. Instead Connor doesn’t take the bait, concedes the layup and gives the Hawks a chance to win on the final possession, instead of possibly being in the pressure packed scenario of needing a basket to avoid the loss.I mean worst case there if Iowa misses on the subsequent possession is they go to overtime . I dunno that play just struck me as a brilliant basketball decision and one of the reasons we got to enjoy JBO knocking down that game winner. Great play Connor.

I think Connor should be the one getting the ball and bringing it up in those end of game pressure situations. I trust him the most to not turn it over and get the ball up court. Perkins is solid but obviously had the turnover today. Jbo can be dependable but also gets flustered by quick defenders with length.

Connor timeout yesterday, showed he's quick to react, and reacts quickly. Really could make a good coach in the future.
Agreed and f his passion is to go into coaching one day he has a leg up and it appears he absolutely has the aptitude for it. In my opinion anyway.

Another note on that turnover, I have no idea why Fran had Perkins in there bringing the ball up. Joe T should have had that ball in his hands.
I think Connor should be the one getting the ball and bringing it up in those end of game pressure situations. I trust him the most to not turn it over and get the ball up court. Perkins is solid but obviously had the turnover today. Jbo can be dependable but also gets flustered by quick defenders with length.
Connor is the most trusted passer with the in-bounds. Then he has the chance to get it right back if needed.

Reactions: Jprimus and Moral
SIAP or discussed, and sorry if this is a bit long, however, I have admittedly been a harsh critic of CMAC most of the season and rightfully so IMo. Let’s face it he wasn’t contributing much. I’ve never been so happy to eat some major crow in the last 3 weeks or so. He’s made some big shots and I’m not sure where the hell this new shooting stroke came from but he has been fantastic.
The play I’m wanting to discuss is the late turnover with the Hawks up 2. So IU gets the turnover and was it Hennessy or Xavier Johnson who raced to the other end on a clear layup I can’t recall?
A lot of players chasing down that play as Connor was in that situation might aggressively try for the block to prevent the tie. If you watch the IU player he almost tries to initiate the contact to draw the and one! I’ve never doubted Connors basketball IQ and this play was a perfect example of someone who knew the game situation . If Connor chases him down and tries for the block maybe he fouls, the basket counts and IU now has a one point lead. Instead Connor doesn’t take the bait, concedes the layup and gives the Hawks a chance to win on the final possession, instead of possibly being in the pressure packed scenario of needing a basket to avoid the loss.I mean worst case there if Iowa misses on the subsequent possession is they go to overtime . I dunno that play just struck me as a brilliant basketball decision and one of the reasons we got to enjoy JBO knocking down that game winner. Great play Connor.
Tb;Dr (too bold; didn't read)

This team is very well-rounded. The two areas where they're vulnerable... coming up against press defense and defending strong bigs down low.

Joe T should have had the ball, period. Indiana is too quick for anyone else.

Connor timeout yesterday, showed he's quick to react, and reacts quickly. Really could make a good coach in the future.
Against Rutgers, it looked like Iowa was playing a unique zone that kind of fluctuated between a 2-3 and 1-3-1. On occasion, PMAC was directing players to spots. Kind of a cliche term, but he really is a coach on the floor.

Geezuz, you guys think when Connor doesn't score he's no good. I don't care if he ever scores, he's the smartest player on the floor when he's out there, maybe the smartest ever. He makes shit happen. If you can't see what CM does when he's not scoring, you're really not smart enough to even watch a basketball game. I just marvel at him and the stuff he does.

Listening to CMAC speak his bb IQ is off the charts. He understands the game.
Guess it would stand to reason when you have a dad who is a D1 coach.
I like listening to him speak, very knowledgeable and poised.

Reactions: kceasthawk
Agreed - how 'bout Joey-T too though?

Oops - I should have read the rest of the thread...

This. Numerous times in the last several years he's made smart timeout calls when we were he or team mates were in trouble. He always knows time and score scenario, and makes winning decisions. Just things that don't show up for the folks that get too involved with the "metrics" or stats......

If he’s not fouled out there is no excuse to have anyone other than Lebracca bringing the ball up in that scenario.

Reactions: Pepperman
Geezuz, you guys think when Connor doesn't score he's no good. I don't care if he ever scores, he's the smartest player on the floor when he's out there, maybe the smartest ever. He makes shit happen. If you can't see what CM does when he's not scoring, you're really not smart enough to even watch a basketball game. I just marvel at him and the stuff he does.

you don't care, but opponents cared, because they didn't guard him and helped off him.

The Iowa run started with CMAC making his 3's, JBo making 3s, and Perkins making shots. Making shots always matters---you have to be enough of a threat to score so you make the opponent pay to leave you unguarded and go help on Keegan

CMAC is very good glue guy/defense that is true.

Great observation, a foul there could have been disastrous. But I have been a little frustrated (highlighting "a little" given our recent success!) with the late game turnovers. Against RUT we had the game in hand but man, we had like 3 Turnovers to close out the game, not a great look. And against IU, we should not have even needed the JBo heroics if we take care of the ball.

Why did Fran not put in more ball handlers, I still prefer Ulis and Joe T (who are both excellent FT shooters) to guys like PMac (really needs to work on his handles, but otherwise had a stellar game!).

Reactions: Rambler Hawk
A lot of players chasing down that play as Connor was in that situation might aggressively try for the block to prevent the tie. If you watch the IU player he almost tries to initiate the contact to draw the and one! I’ve never doubted Connors basketball IQ and this play was a perfect example of someone who knew the game situation . If Connor chases him down and tries for the block maybe he fouls, the basket counts and IU now has a one point lead. Instead Connor doesn’t take the bait, concedes the layup and gives the Hawks a chance to win on the final possession, instead of possibly being in the pressure packed scenario of needing a basket to avoid the loss.I mean worst case there if Iowa misses on the subsequent possession is they go to overtime . I dunno that play just struck me as a brilliantIt was basketball decision and one of the reasons we got to enjoy JBO knocking down that game winner. Great play Connor.
It was a coaching brainfart. We don't have a Ronnie Lester or anyone else who is totally reliable in that kind of pressure situation against one of the best defenders. Perkins is not a PG and has very little experience bringing the ball up the floor.

We should have brought it up with 2 guys so that defender could be avoided. I have never been a Fran fan but acknowledge he has done a great job this year. I'm not sure where that has come from. Maybe the most recent assistant. But it isn't enough yet to give me confidence that he won't blow the next game. Waiting until it was 15-3 to call a timeout almost cost us the game. And how, after seeing this guy tear us up for years, can he not figure out how to prevent a parade of layups and dunks?

My thought is live action was Perkins "why the behind the back dribble in open court with a screener" just take your time and angle to the left or do a reverse pivot dribble to the right hand.

Perkins will learn from this and I think if he can improve the ballhandling even more he can be used a lot at the point and perhaps one of our few pt guards under Fran who can actually dribble to the rim.

Yes, Connor is in the game late because of his smarts, experience, really good passing, and he has not been a shooting liability lately.

It was a coaching brainfart. We don't have a Ronnie Lester or anyone else who is totally reliable in that kind of pressure situation against one of the best defenders. Perkins is not a PG and has very little experience bringing the ball up the floor.

We should have brought it up with 2 guys so that defender could be avoided. I have never been a Fran fan but acknowledge he has done a great job this year. I'm not sure where that has come from. Maybe the most recent assistant. But it isn't enough yet to give me confidence that he won't blow the next game. Waiting until it was 15-3 to call a timeout almost cost us the game. And how, after seeing this guy tear us up for years, can he not figure out how to prevent a parade of layups and dunks?
Are you a fan of any of Iowa’s coaches? You do nothing but criticize the football coaches as well.

I wasn’t concerned with the coaching call at the time. Never even crossed my mind . I was just impressed with Connors basketball IQ in that situation. That IU player held up expecting to get fouled from behind. It’s obvious he was looking for the and one call. Connor wouldn’t bite. Very saavy play there by Connor ..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT