ADVERTISEMENT

LaVar Ball on Trump's role in getting UCLA players released in China: 'Who?'

THE_DEVIL

HR King
Aug 16, 2005
Hell, Michigan
www.livecoinwatch.com
LaVar Ball, whose son was one of the three UCLA basketball players detained in China for shoplifting last week, said “who?” when asked about President Trump’s role in getting the players released.

"Who?" Ball told ESPN when asked about Trump's role. "What was he over there for? Don't tell me nothing. Everybody wants to make it seem like he helped me out."

Ball, the CEO of the sports apparel company Big Baller Brand, downplayed Trump’s role in securing his son LiAngelo’s release.

His son, along with two other players, was arrested and accused of shoplifting from a Louis Vuitton in China during his team’s weeklong trip to the country.

"As long as my boy's back here, I'm fine," Ball told ESPN. "I'm happy with how things were handled. A lot of people like to say a lot of things that they thought happened over there. Like I told him, 'They try to make a big deal out of nothing sometimes.' I'm from L.A. I've seen a lot worse things happen than a guy taking some glasses.”

"Everybody gets stuck on the negativity of some things and they get stuck on them too long. That's not me. I handle what's going on and then we go from there."

Trump took credit for the players’ release in a tweet on Wednesday and asked if the players would thank him because they could have spent "10 years in jail."

"Do you think the three UCLA Basketball Players will say thank you President Trump?" Trump tweeted. "They were headed for 10 years in jail!"http://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-kno...umps-role-in-getting-ucla-players-released-in

Great fatherly advice, “son, there are a lot worse things than stealing”. Ball seems like a perfect vp candidate for trumps second term.

Reactions: Huey Grey
I'm not a huge fan of this guy. I see nothing wrong with what he said though.

It's amazing how much easier it is for me to accept a lieing prick when he's not the president of the United States.

It's amazing how much easier it is for me to accept a lieing prick when he's not the president of the United States.
That says a lot.

Lavar should have just said "fake news" and left it at that. Give Traitor Boy a taste of his own feces.

That aside, Lavar Ball is an idiot and it won't be long before one of his entitled son's is in prison, for something serious. It's a guarantee.

Reactions: BelemNole

Is that really how you think lying is spelled? Lieing???

I'm far from a grammatical or spelling cop... But there has to be some irony in there somewhere...

First Dems snuggled up to HW and W, then they snuggled up to John McCain, and now they're snuggling up to LaVar Ball. Who's next? Mitch McConnell?

Very disrespectful of LaVar. I don't care for Trump as president but if the president helped, however much or little, my son after being arrested in a foreign country, I would at least appreciate the effort.

Very disrespectful of LaVar. I don't care for Trump as president but if the president helped, however much or little, my son after being arrested in a foreign country, I would at least appreciate the effort.
It could be disrespectful if it was likely that Trump is telling the truth. Since 90% of everything he says is a confirmed lie...it's hard to blame anyone for dismissing what he says.

I'd say the dumb bastard ought to be thanking somebody. Other Americans arrested in China have not fared so well.

https://nypost.com/2017/11/16/the-other-sports-star-stuck-in-china-jail-without-trumps-help/

http://www.newsweek.com/2016/08/19/mark-swidan-american-jailed-china-488457.html (This guy has been in "detention" for almost 4 years awaiting a verdict in his trial.)

What the US Embassy can(not) do:

https://china.usembassy-china.org.cn/u-s-citizen-services/arrest-of-a-u-s-citizen/

Pretty sure LaVar doesn't read a whole lot so this would all be lost on him. I have no idea how much Trump did but it's pretty clear the State Department wouldn't have been able to do anything so something happened. There was clear proof of their crime and yet they got home in a couple of weeks. Maybe Alford really does have a lot of influence.

I'd say the dumb bastard ought to be thanking somebody. Other Americans arrested in China have not fared so well.

https://nypost.com/2017/11/16/the-other-sports-star-stuck-in-china-jail-without-trumps-help/

http://www.newsweek.com/2016/08/19/mark-swidan-american-jailed-china-488457.html (This guy has been in "detention" for almost 4 years awaiting a verdict in his trial.)

What the US Embassy can(not) do:

https://china.usembassy-china.org.cn/u-s-citizen-services/arrest-of-a-u-s-citizen/

Pretty sure LaVar doesn't read a whole lot so this would all be lost on him. I have no idea how much Trump did but it's pretty clear the State Department wouldn't have been able to do anything so something happened. There was clear proof of their crime and yet they got home in a couple of weeks. Maybe Alford really does have a lot of influence.
IF Trump actually is telling the truth and he intervened. Is that even something that can be confirmed? Much more likely he's lying through his teeth.....again....and again.....and again.....and again.

IF Trump actually is telling the truth and he intervened. Is that even something that can be confirmed? Much more likely he's lying through his teeth.....again....and again.....and again.....and again.
I'm sure there is no way to confirm one way or another. I'm not sure you read all my links but if you did, I think you would have a strong impression that something unusual happened in the case of these 3 ball players. Was it Trump's influence? I have no idea, BUT something unusual happened. Otherwise these 3 boys would still be sitting in a bare concrete cell assembling Christmas lights for the foreseeable future.

I'm sure there is no way to confirm one way or another. I'm not sure you read all my links but if you did, I think you would have a strong impression that something unusual happened in the case of these 3 ball players. Was it Trump's influence? I have no idea, BUT something unusual happened. Otherwise these 3 boys would still be sitting in a bare concrete cell assembling Christmas lights for the foreseeable future.
I'm sure the U.S Embassy or someone got involved, no doubt. But that's not the same thing as Trump picking up a phone and getting it done. Maybe the sweat shop owner for Big Baller Brand manufacturing is related to the Chinese President? Or sends him fat stacks of kick back cash?

I'm sure the U.S Embassy or someone got involved, no doubt. But that's not the same thing as Trump picking up a phone and getting it done. Maybe the sweat shop owner for Big Baller Brand manufacturing is related to the Chinese President? Or sends him fat stacks of kick back cash?
Yeah OK, you didn't read my links. If you did you would know that the US Embassy can't do a goddam thing. The sweat shop owner actually makes a lot of sense - they might actually be able to influence something. But read the links - the Embassy is powerless to help US citizens imprisoned in China. Or any other country, for that matter. Read 'em.

Reactions: ScoutRefugee
Is that really what you think irony is????
Maybe irony is the wrong word... but you having the intelligence to distinguish the lying from a punk ass blowhard from the perceived (real or not) lying done by the President all the while not knowing how to spell lying, is irony to me.

Mea culpa if I'm wrong. Still less egregious than your butchering of the English language.

Last edited:
I'm sure it was a combination of several factors that got these guys released.

I'm sure Joe Tsai the co-founder of the Tech/Retailer Alibaba who sponsored the China Game had some influence as well as the President.

But there are innocent people in China being held in prison and Trump being in the region had some effect.

Maybe irony is the wrong word... but you having the intelligence to distinguish the lying from a punk ass blowhard from the perceived (real or not) lying done by the President all the while not knowing how to spell lying, is irony to me.

Mea culpa if I'm wrong. Still less egregious than your butchering of the English language.

Really? Perceived lying?

Look man - sorry my laziness offended you. Keep fighting the good fight.

It could be disrespectful if it was likely that Trump is telling the truth. Since 90% of everything he says is a confirmed lie...it's hard to blame anyone for dismissing what he says.

That is idiotic. President Trump did his son a big favor and it isn't hard to figure that out. The shop lifter wouldn't have done the ten year sentence, but he could very well have spent months in China before being allowed to go home.

That is idiotic. President Trump did his son a big favor and it isn't hard to figure that out. The shop lifter wouldn't have done the ten year sentence, but he could very well have spent months in China before being allowed to go home.
We don't know if he did or not. That's why the POTUS shouldn't lie 6.5 times a day! If everything out of your fat mouth is a lie....why would anyone we dumb enough to believe you? If the Chinese govt comes forward and says they acted at the behest of Trump, I'll buy it. And that's all you need to know when you consider what the POTUS's word is worth to American citizens. Zilch.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT