ADVERTISEMENT

Lawn & Garden season is around the corner

Habitat improvement is a major hobby of mine. Love this thread every year and best if luck with your project. Post photos if you can. My current list of landscaping and habitat projects:

We have a guy coming to give us an estimate on rebuilding a retaining wall and stair case today at noon. The wall is roughly 12 feet at its highest and encases a LP tank which is why I won't touch it. That will have flower beds as part of it.

Last year I put in a 40x30 garden, this year I will be making it a raised garden using pavers. I have 5 tons of dirt on its way and 200 papers in my driveway. If math is correct i need another 60.

I frost seeded clover into about 1.5-2 acres of food plot the week before last.

I need to kill off and 24d a half acre plot, I will then seed sunflowers into it. It was in brassicas last year.

Till and seed wildflowers into the meadow (roughly a .5 acre portion)

Take large river rock I have collected from around the property and "dam" the front creek in hopes of getting cat tails to grow.

Seed a large strip in the back of my property into big blue stem switchgrass.

I'm going to start pompas grass in 50 gallon barrels with hopes of transferring the plugs spring of next year.

I put in a pathway through the woods that leads to the neighbors last year, this year we will line it with hostas as it doesn't get a ton of light.

Grass/lawn maintenance.

*I will also be stacking pallets on my property to create small game havens.

Last edited:
My mower died today (ran perfectly to get the back done, then died after I started the front). I asked the neighbor if I could borrow his mower so I could finish. He said he needed to mow his place and would come over and let me know when he was done so I could mow.

We were eating lunch, and I could hear his mower, but assumed he was just doing his place. Went outside after eating and nope, he mowed my front lawn too. At about 1.5”. His heart was in the right place, the grass will grow back, but Jesus, what a mess.

My mower died today (ran perfectly to get the back done, then died after I started the front). I asked the neighbor if I could borrow his mower so I could finish. He said he needed to mow his place and would come over and let me know when he was done so I could mow.

We were eating lunch, and I could hear his mower, but assumed he was just doing his place. Went outside after eating and nope, he mowed my front lawn too. At about 1.5”. His heart was in the right place, the grass will grow back, but Jesus, what a mess.
You don't like your lawn scalped?

I do not understand how people think they are doing others a favor by mowing their lawn.

Reactions: Greenway4Prez
I’m just hoping for some rain so the turf isn’t shocked too much. Forecast looks cooler than it was this past week, so that will help.

Also, are anyone else’s lilacs blooming white this year?
f76FSsP.jpg

Mine are pinkish white. I need to trim them back a little.

f76FSsP.jpg

Mine are pinkish white. I need to trim them back a little.
I read something in an online forum that after a mild winter lilacs will sometimes lose their color. Mine are full on cracker. A few flowers here and there have a slight hint of pink/lavender.

ADVERTISEMENT