ADVERTISEMENT

Lawn weed&feed in July?

I'd recommend downloading the Scott's My Lawn app on your phone . It will tell you when to fertilize and water.

Usually you wanna get the weeds when they are young so you may not get rid of very many of those.

^^^This^^^... But if you do decide to put it down make sure the grass is wet when you apply it,... so perhaps early morning when the dew is still present...

^^^This^^^,... but if you do decide to put it down make sure the grass is wet when you apply it, so perhaps take advantage of the early morning dew...

Also, with Weed & Feed, you don't want it to rain within the first 24 hours or so. After that, yes, you want to water it in, especially in July.

Reactions: SWIowahawks
As long as you do it before it is gonna rain for sure. Usually you wanna get the weeds when they are young so you may not get rid of very many of those.

damn. that was kind of my motive. weeds aren't aweful, but just looking to cut some of that ugly looking grass back.

so, if i save the weed/feed for the fall (or next spring), i'd assume all of the other HROT input applies for mid-july standard turf builder style fert.?

skip it. Pre emergent in the spring is the only herbicide i broadcast. Otherwise its Milorganite 4-5 times throughout the year, then spot spray weeds 3-4 times as they pop up. Its a hybrid organic plan. Aerate in the fall.

Sounds like my Friday afternoons. Set up a chair in the shade in my lawn, hit my hash vape pen, eat snacks. Lawn weed & feed.

Feeding now is a terrible idea for any cool season turf like fescue, can severely damage your lawn. All depends on your turf type.

This will take a week or two to kill tough weeds and crabgrass, but it will kill it. Works really well on pretty much everything that you don't want in your yard.

e9ab88ad-87ee-4ce6-b4f5-e9afb8e055b8_1.bb642bdf0cb1d7b81da3ef91bd523cb8.jpeg

Last edited:
This will take a week or two to kill tough weeds and crabgrass, but it will kill it. Works really well on pretty much everything that you don't want in your yard.

e9ab88ad-87ee-4ce6-b4f5-e9afb8e055b8_1.bb642bdf0cb1d7b81da3ef91bd523cb8.jpeg

Spot spray this on weeds throughout the year.

What I need is something that gets rid of annoying fescue clumps. Those clumps of grass that are thick bladed and grow taller than the regular grass. Have a few spots in the lawn. I've heard nothing short of nuking them, cutting them out, and reseeding works. You can also "paint" them with Roundup, but that's pretty labor intensive.

What I need is something that gets rid of annoying fescue clumps. Those clumps of grass that are thick bladed and grow taller than the regular grass. Have a few spots in the lawn. I've heard nothing short of nuking them, cutting them out, and reseeding works. You can also "paint" them with Roundup, but that's pretty labor intensive.
Sorry, that's the only option for tall fescue. Anything that DOES work is too hard on the stuff we want to keep.

Also, fertilizing now isn't ideal, but on an irrigated property it's fine. And sometimes a necessity since people need to get grub control out.

Use a sprayer with a heavy concentrate of roundup. Get the home depot knock off HDX brand. Same stuff at half the price. Just hit the middle of the clump, wait a week and then rehit what isnt turning brown. Rake or hoe spots when dead, throw a couple inches of topsoil on spots, then seed or resod the spots

This is as good a place as any to ask about moles. My mole trap doesn’t work. I’ve tried drowning out a section and it seemed to work for that section but they just moved to a different part of the yard. Does applying grub killer work best?

The Roundup & reseed approach takes too long for me,... I simply remove these fescue clumps with a flat spade and then repair with a piece of healthy sod that I cut from a remote part of the lawn,... Keep the newly placed sod well watered for a couple weeks and you're good to go,... Instant gratification...

Reactions: longliveCS40

I've got some patches of that in my backyard too but it isn't clumped as much as it is intermixed with my bluegrass. I've sprayed it with Roundup a couple times and reseeded without digging it up, because it is not practical. Some of it comes back. It's not as thick, but definitely still noticeable.

@Greenway4Prez is there anything more potent than Roundup to use that will kill it, and keep it killed, without digging it up? I wouldn't be concerned with killing the good grass.

Use a sprayer with a heavy concentrate of roundup. Get the home depot knock off HDX brand. Same stuff at half the price. Just hit the middle of the clump, wait a week and then rehit what isnt turning brown. Rake or hoe spots when dead, throw a couple inches of topsoil on spots, then seed or resod the spots
So I don't need to get broad coverage and spray the entire clump, just spray the middle/core of the clump (say a little bigger than silver dollar size) and that will kill the entire clump?

Roundup is absorbed through a plant's leaves, but you don't necessarily have to coat the entire plant with chemical to administer a lethal dose....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT