ADVERTISEMENT

Laws restricting lessons on racism are making it hard for teachers to discuss the massacre in Buffalo

Morrison71

HR Legend
Nov 10, 2006
Two days after a white gunman opened fire and killed 10 Black people at a Buffalo, New York, grocery store, teacher Elizabeth Close began her high school ethnic studies class in Austin, Texas, by reminding her students about a new state law that requires her to provide balanced perspectives on "widely debated and currently controversial issues."

Close told her students that under the law, one of several recently implemented across the country that limit the ways teachers can discuss racism and current events, she was obligated to inform them that there's more than one way to view Saturday's mass shooting.

On one hand, she explained that authorities are investigating the killings as a racially motivated hate crime carried out by an 18-year-old who reportedly wrote of his belief in a conspiracy theory that white Americans are being "replaced" by people of color through immigration, interracial marriage and integration.

"But I'm also supposed to tell you that that's just one perspective," Close recalled telling her students. "Another perspective is that this young man was out defending the world — or his kind — from being taken over."
Click to shrink...
Close waited for her comment to fully register with her students, then added: "If you guys want to know why I'm thinking about quitting at the end of the year, it's because of these types of policies — the fact that I have to have this conversation with you."

Close said she was being intentionally provocative, trying to shock students into thinking critically about the Buffalo shooting as well as the Texas law. But she was also venting a frustration shared by many social studies teachers nationwide.

"I think we're all just tired," she said.

There is no racism in this country. Trump ended it. Just like he ended Covid, which didn’t exist anyway.
“unlike the African American community, with notable exceptions, the Latino community is an incredibly diverse community with incredibly different attitudes about different things.”

-Donald Trump

You can actually get fired for doing a shitty job at work. Cancel culture is when people get you fired for things they don't like about you as a person among other things. You being a complete douche on this website shouldn't get you fired from your job.
Lol look at this rationalizing lol. Fool. White fragility endlessly sad but it’s amusing.

I think a clever teacher could easily host discussions of all sorts of now unlawful subjects by employing a Socratic approach or allowing open debate between the students in the classroom led by the students themselves. I know I would be pushing to the very margins and beyond on these uncomfortable subjects that these ridiculous laws have now forbidden. I’d find a lot of ways to piss off these snowflakes and never technically break their stupid laws at all.

Reactions: lucas80
It's amazing the lengths whites will go to deny collective responsibility for the state of this country instead of just getting over themselves and trying to help everyone make this country into something worth actually being proud of.

Every job has more restrictions and regulations than it did 20 years ago. I don't think anyone particularly likes this change.

I see this law as ridiculous is some ways and see some merit in some ways. It really depends on the event.

Omar's response sitting in the back of the classroom......."somebody did something".

I have no problem with a teacher addressing the Buffalo murders and the statements made by the accused. Does the same teacher address the Waukesha murders and the statements made by the accused?

It's just like the media. It's not only what they report and how they report it, but what they choose not to report.

Reactions: ICHerky
It's amazing the lengths whites will go to deny collective responsibility for the state of this country instead of just getting over themselves and trying to help everyone make this country into something worth actually being proud of.
All whites? Including you?

I have no problem with a teacher addressing the Buffalo murders and the statements made by the accused. Does the same teacher address the Waukesha murders and the statements made by the accused?

It's just like the media. It's not only what they report and how they report it, but what they choose not to report.

Maybe it's my years in academia, but true education is best when thoughts can be expressed without reprecussions....even if sometimes biased, shocking, unnecessary, etc. It's something you can never stop (we are human after all), but it in no way goes on like those portay it to be.

I've seen it 2 times, politics was brought up in classes where it had no bearing...a philosophy class and an American Lit class. It lasted no longer than a minute and was never brought up again.

Last edited:
When YOU stop being divisive with your posts everyone will follow.

So, never.

This is the greatest country to ever exist on this planet and whether your stupid Marxist ass chooses to believe it or not doesn't matter at all. White people made it possible for a black man to be president. They willingly moved aside over time to the point that a minority could hold the highest office. Even voted him into office. Black people go to college at a higher rate than white people. I guess that is also systemic racism right? That they go to college at a higher rate? You people have your head so far up your ass you think our world stinks. It's just you that stinks. Which European countries that are predominantly white have had a black president? You think china will ever have a black president? The truth is white people in America are the least racist people on the planet. So **** off

ADVERTISEMENT