ADVERTISEMENT

Lawsuit aims to stop Biden’s student loan forgiveness plan

That’s a lot of $$$

Reactions: Ree4 and ericram
A house is on fire.

Most people: let's use that bucket of water to help while we wait for the fire department

Notlonago: better wait to everyone arrives before we do ANYTHING
Replace "bucket of water" with "eye dropper" and then "to help while we wait for" with "instead of" and youll have a truthful statement and you'll also see why it's a flawed position you have.

So, you don’t really have an answer. You just love when your pals get those sweet checks from the government. Good talk, bro.
You are the dumbest MFr on this topic on this board. That’s saying something.

Congrats on your Masters, I sure know it wasn’t in economics.

Good talk, bro.

trailer-park-boys-blinds.gif

You don’t understand the purpose and economics of why subsidies exist, yet you think I want out of your ignorant bitch-fest? I’ll stick around for the entertainment.

You should have stayed on the farm Mitch. It’s an easy gig with zero financial risk, it’s a very safe job, fantastic pay, great benefits, sweet 401k, the government hands out piles of cash for absolutely no reason. And best of all, your non-farming friends will be super envious of all the new pickups you get every 2 years.

Why did you ever leave?
Lots of farmers just maintaining the gravy train after being handed 360 acres from grandpa.

Go to ISU for a few years, return to the farm, grab those subsidies, and complain that college graduates might get a partial loan forgiveness.

Sweet gig if you fall into the lucky circumstance.

Think about what it would do to the economy with all of those people having disposable cash......it would be a helluva lot better than any tax cuts to the rich
Well...Joe's plan was going to cost $400B+.....how much would relieving all student loan debt cost?

Either way...congress needs to pass legislation to spend huge amounts of $$$ like this...not by executive order using the "covid emergency" as justification.

Reactions: fsu1jreed
Think about what it would do to the economy with all of those people having disposable cash......it would be a helluva lot better than any tax cuts to the rich
That’s basically what’s happening now with student loans in forbearance. When that forbearance is lifted in a few months (unless extended again), you’re going to see some serious shit hit the fan.

And yes, I understand a lot of people are still choosing to pay on them, but many are not and have not for years.

Personally, I'm fired up by the Delaware v. PA and WI case (which, BTW, was Justice Jackson's first majority opinion, and consistent with tradition, was more or less unanimous). Those ****ers in Delaware practically LIVE off of their escheat law.

Last edited:
Interesting argument to this point. Clearly some discomfort with the substantive policy under major questions. As always, General Prelogar was a pro. The MO guy is actually not bad either, or at least better than a lot of state SGs, fielding a pretty tough barrage of questions on standing.

Reactions: Finance85
Not a fan of Justice Jackson in this argument. She's not asking questions; she advocating for the government. IMO, she crossed the line.

Lol at CNN. The data shows the vast majority of the people that will benefit from this are white, wealthy, graduates who did not go into their field of study.

Lol at CNN. The data shows the vast majority of the people that will benefit from this are white, wealthy, graduates who did not go into their field of study.

My favorite item in their live stream was the piece interviewing the PA protestor from Morgan State U (MD) with the headline to the effect that the forgiveness program will enable her to start her life with financial security. Call me crazy, but it seems to me that taking out loans for out of state tuition to attend Morgan State is sort of willfully setting oneself up for financial insecurity in the first instance. I'm only sad that they didn't list her major.

There's a line. It's the difference in asking leading questions and flat out making an argument that appears a decision is already made.
Again, a decision has been made prior to oral argument 99% of the time for an individual justice. It is truly rare for oral argument to cause a change or resolve an ambiguity. That's why Justice Thomas didn't ask a lot of questions historically.

And also again, to be fair, Justice Alito is not exactly Mr. Neutrality when it comes to how he asks his questions. (Also, Soto is much worse that KJ, but I've sort of been immunized to that.)

Last edited:
What about the freshman students that will graduate in 4-5 years with $80k in debt, they have to pay it but all of these others didn't? Do you think the government should still be providing student loans if they're wanting to forgive them?

ADVERTISEMENT