ADVERTISEMENT

Lazy Offensive Staff Hiring: Is Improving the Offense Even a Priority?

Phil Parker definitely deserves credit, he is great at what he does. Fortunately for Brian otherwise he'd be selling insurance.
He was a good position coach.

PP makes the clones oc look even worse though. QB TE and RB all drafted and still shut down!

Bf hasn't done shit vs ISU for 3 years bud.

You're thinking of pp...
Disagree bud, there were plenty of excellent offensive plays in all 3 of those games, enough to win all 3 of them. You do know we are 5-0 against the clones since Brian became the OC, right ?

Reactions: F5n5
Disagree bud, there were plenty of excellent offensive plays in all 3 of those games, enough to win all 3 of them. You do know we are 5-0 against the clones since Brian became the OC, right ?
Keep using Parker and special teams (the actual reason we win)to justify Brian's piss poor offense.

8 points a game from the offense the last 3 games and tools want to pat him on the back? Beyond laughable :)

Reactions: not_mantiteo
The 24 offensive points the past 3 games, that's why we won huh?
Derpity derp derp....
Lmfao!!!
Hey Einstein……the offense scored 51 offensive points the last 3 games against Iowa State (including extra points). There was one…..ONE….defensive score that had no effect on the outcome.

Field goals are considered offensive points. You can try to use semantics and say the field goal unit is special teams and thus field goals aren’t considered offensive points, but that is disingenuous. And it makes your ”24 points in the last 3 games” intentionally misleading.

Kinda makes you look rather foolish, don’t you think?

Last edited:
Hey Einstein……the offense scored 51 offensive points the last 3 games against Iowa State (including extra points). There was one…..ONE….defensive score that had no effect on the outcome.

He always looks foolish... It comes naturally for him.

Reactions: HawkOn15 and 83Hawk

Field goals are considered offensive points. You can try to use semantics and say the field goal unit is special teams and thus field goals aren’t considered offensive points, but that is disingenuous. And it makes your ”24 points in the last 3 games” intentionally misleading.

I see fg are offensive points! Good to know lmfao!! You think the offense gets the credit for driving less than half the field after good field position and having to settle for a fg??

I guess that's why you're satisfied with one of the worst red zone offenses we've ever had.

Go kick a 40 or 50yd fg and tell me how it easy it is ;)

Y ou know, I guess I am Einsteinesque compared to you buddy....no "offense" :)

I see fg are offensive points! Good to know lmfao!! You think the offense gets the credit for driving less than half the field after good field position and having to settle for a fg??

I guess that's why you're satisfied with one of the worst red zone offenses we've ever had.

Wow you’re dumb

Reactions: F5n5
Last year's cyhawk fg attempts.....

Iowa gets ball at ISU 41, gains a whopping 9 yards and shudak misses 50yd fg

Our moron fans...."damn you shudak bf and Co earned those points!!" "No defense you didn't do shit!"

Next fg
Iowa LOSES 8 yards before made FG
Our moron fan crew "way to go bf, you can bang my ugly wife!!"

Last fg
Offense owns ISU and racks up 18 yds before made FG
Idiots...." omfg bf we almost got 2 1st downs bro, I <3 you forever...please be our next hc!!"

I almost wish I could be so ignorant, I truly admire you guys xoxo

Last year's cyhawk fg attempts.....

Iowa gets ball at ISU 41, gains a whopping 9 yards and shudak misses 50yd fg

Our moron fans...."damn you shudak bf and Co earned those points!!" "No defense you didn't do shit!"

Next fg
Iowa LOSES 8 yards before made FG
Our moron fan crew "way to go bf, you can bang my ugly wife!!"

Last fg
Offense owns ISU and racks up 18 yds before made FG
Idiots...." omfg bf we almost got 2 1st downs bro, I <3 you forever...please be our next hc!!"

I almost wish I could be so ignorant, I truly admire you guys xoxo
Your meltdowns are so cute.

Reactions: 83Hawk and HawkOn15

You are sooooo triggered.

I guess you don’t realize how foolish you look, because you keep going.

If I were you, I’d take the loss and move on.

Reactions: F5n5 and HawkOn15
This is not a rhetorical question.

There's no doubt all coaches care about winning. But what about caring about the offense? Scoring points. Exciting playmaking. Innovation. That sort of thing. Is Kirk genuinely content winning 6-4 or 10-3 week in and week out against lesser Big 10 west opponents but routinely getting blown out against teams who can put up points against us? He's getting paid handsomely to do it, so maybe that is enough for him.

In 2021, the Hawks ranked 99th in scoring offense. That is a failing. By all standards, the head coach of the 99th ranked scoring offense would be forced to rethink the offense and retool his staff and his playbook. Right? Whether he's at the high school level or the NFL. So what staff changes did Kirk after the embarrassment against Michigan and getting thumped (yet again) by Purdue and Wisconsin?

Rather than being proactive and upgrading at any coaching position (or hitting the transfer portal hard), Kirk downgraded at virtually every offensive coaching position. He lazily assembled one of the most haphazard mishmash of available guys who committed to being thankful for just having jobs and a willingness to be "yes men."

Offensive Coordinator. Rather than firing the architect of Iowa's 117th ranked offense, Kirk doubled down in interviews questioning Brian's competence, acknowledged no inadequacies in playbook or play calling, and gave his son a six figure raise for good measure. Most power 5 head coaches would have fired a staff member whose unit ranked 117th and was the direct reason for several losses & an overall boring product on the field, Kirk rewarded the failures and gave him even more authority. I think most know that Brian put out feelers to other programs after 2021 knowing that fans had enough, but he received no bites in the job market.

OL Coach. Iowa's OL coach left to become an offensive coordinator. Kudos to him on the promotion, as he knew he couldn't move up at Iowa. He was replaced by a guy who was at his previous job for less than 4 months and who quickly got the attention of every tv analyst who broadcast Iowa games last year, being the butt of numerous comments on the atrociously outdated OLine play. He underperformed at "OLine U" despite being gifted the nation's top linemen at center. That is no easy accomplishment. Worse yet, expect the same state "zone blocking scheme" this year, but with worse players.

TE Coach. Brian left his role as TE coach to coach the QBs. So rather than bringing in an offensive minded coach with a TE or OL background, Kirk brought in a guy who has never coached or played offense at any level. I loved Hodge as a linebacker at Iowa, but if you're going to hire a TE coach purely based on nostalgia, why not go for a Dallas Clark type or any number of stud ex Hawk TEs who actually know the position?

RBs Coach. Derrick Foster left Iowa to become RB coach for the Chargers last year. The NFL saw potential in him. Kirk replaced him with...a guy who was coaching high school ball at this time last year. In his first season coaching college football, Betts seemed out of his league. He inherited a returning 1st team all Big 10 RB in Goodson and a run first offensive scheme. He coached Goodson to his most underachieving, disappointing season at Iowa, marked by a national lead in runs for a loss of yards (you can't say good coaching couldn't have improved this). It appears Betts can recruit. But whether he can coach remains to be seen. It would have been nice to give an RB coach with some college experience a shot. The Big 10 ain't high school ball.

QBs Coach. Iowa's seasoned QBs coach retired after a pretty solid career. Rather than replacing O'Keefe with a QBs coach who offered new blood, new ideas, or an expertise in throwing mechanics...Kirk handed the job to the above mentioned failed offensive coordinator. The one who led the nation's 99th ranked scoring offense. The one who has never coached a QB or thrown a pass before. Staff downgrade. Why not give someone like all-time Hawkeye QB great Drew Tate (a current QBs coach who recruits Texas) or David Raih (former Iowa QB who spent 5 years with the Packers and was the OC at Vandy) a shot?

So again I ask, does Kirk care about offense or are they just out there to fill time until the defense can go out there and dominate? It sure doesn't seem like any effort has been made to bring in a staff that can improve upon last year's extremely disappointing offense. They surely aren't going to get better by bringing players in from the portal.
Quite possibly your dumbest post ever.

BTW, do you know what Barry Alvarez was doing before Hayden hired him?

There's no doubt all coaches care about winning. But what about caring about the offense? Scoring points. Exciting playmaking. Innovation. That sort of thing. Is Kirk genuinely content winning 6-4 or 10-3 week in and week out against lesser Big 10 west opponents but routinely getting blown out against teams who can put up points against us? He's getting paid handsomely to do it, so maybe that is enough for him.

In 2021, the Hawks ranked 99th in scoring offense. That is a failing. By all standards, the head coach of the 99th ranked scoring offense would be forced to rethink the offense and retool his staff and his playbook. Right? Whether he's at the high school level or the NFL. So what staff changes did Kirk after the embarrassment against Michigan and getting thumped (yet again) by Purdue and Wisconsin?

Rather than being proactive and upgrading at any coaching position (or hitting the transfer portal hard), Kirk downgraded at virtually every offensive coaching position. He lazily assembled one of the most haphazard mishmash of available guys who committed to being thankful for just having jobs and a willingness to be "yes men."

Offensive Coordinator. Rather than firing the architect of Iowa's 117th ranked offense, Kirk doubled down in interviews questioning Brian's competence, acknowledged no inadequacies in playbook or play calling, and gave his son a six figure raise for good measure. Most power 5 head coaches would have fired a staff member whose unit ranked 117th and was the direct reason for several losses & an overall boring product on the field, Kirk rewarded the failures and gave him even more authority. I think most know that Brian put out feelers to other programs after 2021 knowing that fans had enough, but he received no bites in the job market.

OL Coach. Iowa's OL coach left to become an offensive coordinator. Kudos to him on the promotion, as he knew he couldn't move up at Iowa. He was replaced by a guy who was at his previous job for less than 4 months and who quickly got the attention of every tv analyst who broadcast Iowa games last year, being the butt of numerous comments on the atrociously outdated OLine play. He underperformed at "OLine U" despite being gifted the nation's top linemen at center. That is no easy accomplishment. Worse yet, expect the same state "zone blocking scheme" this year, but with worse players.

TE Coach. Brian left his role as TE coach to coach the QBs. So rather than bringing in an offensive minded coach with a TE or OL background, Kirk brought in a guy who has never coached or played offense at any level. I loved Hodge as a linebacker at Iowa, but if you're going to hire a TE coach purely based on nostalgia, why not go for a Dallas Clark type or any number of stud ex Hawk TEs who actually know the position?

RBs Coach. Derrick Foster left Iowa to become RB coach for the Chargers last year. The NFL saw potential in him. Kirk replaced him with...a guy who was coaching high school ball at this time last year. In his first season coaching college football, Betts seemed out of his league. He inherited a returning 1st team all Big 10 RB in Goodson and a run first offensive scheme. He coached Goodson to his most underachieving, disappointing season at Iowa, marked by a national lead in runs for a loss of yards (you can't say good coaching couldn't have improved this). It appears Betts can recruit. But whether he can coach remains to be seen. It would have been nice to give an RB coach with some college experience a shot. The Big 10 ain't high school ball.

QBs Coach. Iowa's seasoned QBs coach retired after a pretty solid career. Rather than replacing O'Keefe with a QBs coach who offered new blood, new ideas, or an expertise in throwing mechanics...Kirk handed the job to the above mentioned failed offensive coordinator. The one who led the nation's 99th ranked scoring offense. The one who has never coached a QB or thrown a pass before. Staff downgrade. Why not give someone like all-time Hawkeye QB great Drew Tate (a current QBs coach who recruits Texas) or David Raih (former Iowa QB who spent 5 years with the Packers and was the OC at Vandy) a shot?

So again I ask, does Kirk care about offense or are they just out there to fill time until the defense can go out there and dominate? It sure doesn't seem like any effort has been made to bring in a staff that can improve upon last year's extremely disappointing offense. They surely aren't going to get better by bringing players in from the portal.
Hard to argue with any of this. Well done! Brian should have never been hired in the first place and many of us said so at the time. He has done nothing but prove us right.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
You are sooooo triggered.

I guess you don’t realize how foolish you look, because you keep going.

If I were you, I’d take the loss and move on.
Because a few morons disagree? I have no problem calling out the idiots in here :)

Hell no! That's Brian's job! Do any of you BF fluffers ever crawl out of the nest and read what other say about our offense? Do the NCAA statistics lie when they show how pathetic our offense really is? What it it that makes you support a guy who is so poor at his job? If you ran a business and had a guy pulling down the rest of the team, do you give him more responsibilities and a raise?

OMG....so now there are people propping up Brian for a winning streak against ISU....does ANYONE realize just how low the bar is set right now??? We will NOT sniff a Big Ten Championship....much less a Final 4 birth....until KF, Brian, and Barta have NOTHING to do with Iowa athletics...and I mean NOTHING!!!

• Haha
OMG....so now there are people propping up Brian for a winning streak against ISU....does ANYONE realize just how low the bar is set right now??? We will NOT sniff a Big Ten Championship....much less a Final 4 birth....until KF, Brian, and Barta have NOTHING to do with Iowa athletics...and I mean NOTHING!!!
LMAO ! Wow, with your expertise why aren't you a Head Coach or AD at a Top 5 program ? Amazing !

Take a hike clone. Iowa is 43-18 since Brian became OC, I might add they are 5-0 vs. the clones. We are 28-17 in the Big Ten. Have beaten the Gophers and Huskers over those five years, keeping the trophies.

Not bad.
Do you realize how ridiculous that sounds to your average individual? Your comparison teams include arguably the least respected program historically in major conferences, another that's been lower tier for half a century, and one that is the textbook example of a program the modern era left behind.

They're technically trophy games but find one person outside of Iowa Nebraska or Minnesota that even knows that, or especially anyone that cares. You can argue the merits of the original post, but to proclaim success based on beating Iowa state Minnesota and Nebraska while generally getting pounded by Wisconsin and losing routinely to Purdue is kind of a losers mentality.

Excellent post per usual @IowasLaw

• Haha
Take a hike clone. Iowa is 43-18 since Brian became OC, I might add they are 5-0 vs. the clones. We are 28-17 in the Big Ten. Have beaten the Gophers and Huskers over those five years, keeping the trophies.

Not bad.
It's cute that you believe Brian was responsible for all those wins when many of us think they were achieved in spite of our brilliant OC.

It's cute that you believe Brian was responsible for all those wins when many of us think they were achieved in spite of our brilliant OC.
Some people here are really dumb lol
Our offense vs the clowns(and many others) the last 4 years has been trash!

ADVERTISEMENT