ADVERTISEMENT

LB Jack Campbell comparisons?

7b754a4c893f9da3606767dc9dbde64c.jpg

Ray Nitschke 6ft3, 235 lbs.

If Campbell has half the mean streak of Nitschke and isn't opposed to loosing a few teeth, Iowa has an All-American MLB candidate

I think Benson probably moves to fill Niemann's spot next year. Not sure though because Colbert is back in 2021 but I don't see how you keep Benson off the filed because he is very high FBIQ and is a tackling madman.

7b754a4c893f9da3606767dc9dbde64c.jpg

Ray Nitschke 6ft3, 235 lbs.

If Campbell has half the mean streak of Nitschke and isn't opposed to loosing a few teeth, Iowa has an All-American MLB candidate

I think Benson probably moves to fill Niemann's spot next year. Not sure though because Colbert is back in 2021 but I don't see how you keep Benson off the filed because he is very high FBIQ and is a tackling madman.
This is exactly what I was worried about for Colbert.

Unless one of them can shift over to LEO in our 4-3 set, We have 3 LBs for two spots, not to mention Jacobs and Higgins making waves, and whether or not one of Niemann or Wade comes back next fall.

He may have unintentionally opted out of a role in this defense, to no real fault of his own.

Unless one of them can shift over to LEO in our 4-3 set, We have 3 LBs for two spots, not to mention Jacobs and Higgins making waves, and whether or not one of Niemann or Wade comes back next fall.

He may have unintentionally opted out of a role in this defense, to no real fault of his own.
He's probably going to/could be graduating this year, right? RS in 2017, played 18 and 19. Unless he's not taking classes this and next semester I could see him grad transferring. Would be great to have him stick around.

Colbert's pretty good and I'm assuming Iowa will not go through next season with zero LB injuries. If he's available, he will play.

Reactions: David1979
I agree with the Greenway and Edds comparisons. He moves really well for his size. Benson has impressed as well. LB is a different position than five years ago. Probably not seeing a true 4-3 as a base defense anytime soon. Today's LBs need to be able to cover in space, especially crossing routes, and be big and strong enough to contend with linemen and RBs that are as big as they are. It requires a rare combination of size and athleticism. Campbell seems to have it. Looking forward to seeing him develop.

Why do you say no fault? Was it his shoulder injury?

Campbell's potential is all but limitless. you almost never see a kid 6'5" 243 with that kind of athleticism. He is going to be incredibly good. Wish he could have gotten a redshirt last year so we would have him a bit longer.

I think Colbert Campbell and Jacobs are the LBs next year. Campbell is going to be great by the tone he’s done

As mentioned Jack C has the size, speed to be really really good! Which I like a lot! With that said I absolutely love to watch Benson play! They both are only gonna get better and better!

Reactions: rainydayhawk
I think Colbert Campbell and Jacobs are the LBs next year. Campbell is going to be great by the tone he’s done
Benson led the team in tackles the two games he started and didn't split time at MLB. It wasn't a fluke. He will either start or get the majority of snaps at a LB position. You don't take your top tackler off the field. I agree with a previous poster who sees a version of Jewell out there.

Reactions: ZumaHawk
Benson led the team in tackles the two games he started and didn't split time at MLB. It wasn't a fluke. He will either start or get the majority of snaps at a LB position. You don't take your top tackler off the field. I agree with a previous poster who sees a version of Jewell out there.
Benson's nose for the ball ... and his shorter stature ... remind me a little more of a mix of Hodge and Angerer.
I think Benson will be hard to displace ... and he'll have earned his playing time!

Right now we have a pretty healthy rotation ... injuries helped to grow Wade's role in the D. Furthermore, Niemann will be graduating ... so that will open the door for Colbert's return.

I anticipate that we'll simply see a healthy rotation at LB in '21. With both Niemann and Wade graduating ... I think that opens the door for Jacobs and Colbert to weave themselves into the tapestry of our D. Also, as indicated before ... injuries occur ... so that will afford the opportunity for guys to see extended reps (without rotation) too.

Say what you will ... but Seth Wallace has been doing a pretty good job of trying to get his guys on the field. That's important because it helps to keep 'em hungry too.

Benson's nose for the ball ... and his shorter stature ... remind me a little more of a mix of Hodge and Angerer.
I think Benson will be hard to displace ... and he'll have earned his playing time!

Right now we have a pretty healthy rotation ... injuries helped to grow Wade's role in the D. Furthermore, Niemann will be graduating ... so that will open the door for Colbert's return.

I anticipate that we'll simply see a healthy rotation at LB in '21. With both Niemann and Wade graduating ... I think that opens the door for Jacobs and Colbert to weave themselves into the tapestry of our D. Also, as indicated before ... injuries occur ... so that will afford the opportunity for guys to see extended reps (without rotation) too.

Say what you will ... but Seth Wallace has been doing a pretty good job of trying to get his guys on the field. That's important because it helps to keep 'em hungry too.
Its a good problem, yes. Also, did you just get out of prison or something? Where have you been?

“Weave themselves into the tapestry of our D” ?

Are you a published author?

Campbell's potential is all but limitless. you almost never see a kid 6'5" 243 with that kind of athleticism. He is going to be incredibly good. Wish he could have gotten a redshirt last year so we would have him a bit longer.
Redshirt wouldn’t keep him at Iowa longer. If he is good as we expect, next year could be his last year at Iowa if NFL beckons

Reactions: Harbinger273
Redshirt wouldn’t keep him at Iowa longer. If he is good as we expect, next year could be his last year at Iowa if NFL beckons
Him and Belton are 2 that I expect to be gone after next year now. Both are looking really good. This defense is talented!

Reactions: Car-go
This will be an unpopular opinion but I don't think I Benson should play over Campbell. I really like Benson's tackling ability and his instincts seem to be pretty good.

I do not think he has the athleticism that Campbell has. I love this guy. It isn't a knock on Benson as much as I think Campbell is an all-star.

I fully understand how good Greenway, Jewell, and others were. I think Campbell will probably be better than any of them. That play where he said, f it and went after Martinez in the pocket to force the throw away was not his responsibility, but it was absolutely the right play, and that is not really something that can be taught. He has the appearance of a football savant with all of the physical tools.

You're like the guys still penciling in Craddieth at safety based on recruiting ranking. Benson is a better than Jacobs.

I fully understand how good Greenway, Jewell, and others were. I think Campbell will probably be better than any of them. That play where he said, f it and went after Martinez in the pocket to force the throw away was not his responsibility, but it was absolutely the right play, and that is not really something that can be taught. He has the appearance of a football savant with all of the physical tools.
Completely agree. He could very well leave IC as KF's best LB, by a lot.

He is solid but he is slower than the other LBs.

Reactions: Hawkfan_08
You're like the guys still penciling in Craddieth at safety based on recruiting ranking. Benson is a better than Jacobs.
Different positions and this is Jacobs first year playing. Just like Doyle over Campbell last year. It’s just a matter of time.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT