ADVERTISEMENT

LB Jack Campbell comparisons?

I rewatched the PSU and Nebby games last night. The thing that stuck out to me was his closing speed! He plays fast. I can’t help wonder if he could play one of the outside LB positions and Benson be the MLB. It sure seems like having them both on the field would be good. The thing about Edds and Greenway that was so impressive was how well they covered receivers in the passing game, as well as their run-stopping ability. I don’t know if Campbell is at that level in coverage or even if he is better at that than Jacobs.

I am sure they will continue to platoon this year, but LB sure looks set for awhile.
With Campbell's ability to move ... I think that he likely excels working in space. Thus, the WILL spot is a great spot for him in our D.

However, with that said ... I bet that he'll know our LEO spot too ... that way, against teams like Wiscy ... he could play there too (when we play with 3 LBs).

The thing about BOTH Campbell and Jacobs is that they're both long, lean, and athletic guys. A good problem to have ...

With Campbell's ability to move ... I think that he likely excels working in space. Thus, the WILL spot is a great spot for him in our D.

However, with that said ... I bet that he'll know our LEO spot too ... that way, against teams like Wiscy ... he could play there too (when we play with 3 LBs).

The thing about BOTH Campbell and Jacobs is that they're both long, lean, and athletic guys. A good problem to have ...
Yup! Campbell reminds me of the tormenting Wisky LB's they usually get in that 3-4 alignments. Campbell's HS tape was 'vicious'...kid was fearless.

Reactions: David1979
He was trash in the 1 Baylor game I watched. Slow and couldn’t shed blocks, just like last year vs Wisconsin. Nepotism could’ve caused us to never see Campbell’s bright future.

Interesting that you would mention that. I was fearful of him being installed this year as "LB for life" and after seeing him last year, felt that would be a disaster. Felt sorry about his situation, but was actually relieved when he left. I also watched him closely in a Baylor game and saw just what I expected-another IA/WI performance.

Yup! Campbell reminds me of the tormenting Wisky LB's they usually get in that 3-4 alignments. Campbell's HS tape was 'vicious'...kid was fearless.

most impressive high school tape I’ve seen in a long time. He just melted people

I bet we see Jestin move to Leo next year when they want to go big. Belton struggled a bit in the flats and I wonder if Jacob’s will be a counter when teams are working the flats like Nebraska did, similar to a Ben Niemann.

I think you have to keep Campbell at MLB looks to be a blitz threat and can see over the lineman, it will be interesting to see who wins the Will spot between Benson and Colbert, either way you have 4 guys for usually two spots with guys like Higgins and Sullivan cooking.

I think Twedt could be a very interesting cash or will linebacker, a lot of speed for a guy who is 6’3”

You're like the guys still penciling in Craddieth at safety based on recruiting ranking. Benson is a better than Jacobs.
Benson is a player but Jacobs is intelligent and has incredible talent. What a great problem to have as long as all the linebackers are happy with their spot in our program.

This conversation makes me wonder if Parker is toying with a 3 - 4 scheme for the future.

I bet we see Jestin move to Leo next year when they want to go big. Belton struggled a bit in the flats and I wonder if Jacob’s will be a counter when teams are working the flats like Nebraska did, similar to a Ben Niemann.

I think you have to keep Campbell at MLB looks to be a blitz threat and can see over the lineman, it will be interesting to see who wins the Will spot between Benson and Colbert, either way you have 4 guys for usually two spots with guys like Higgins and Sullivan cooking.

I think Twedt could be a very interesting cash or will linebacker, a lot of speed for a guy who is 6’3”
Don't forget Sullivan, he's a 4 star.

This conversation makes me wonder if Parker is toying with a 3 - 4 scheme for the future.

The Raider package Parker uses in passing downs, they already do pretty good job of disguising who
is rushing and who is dropping back. Campbell seems like good fit for that package.

Norm used to use the 3-4 in long passing downs, but it was more of a rush 3 and drop 4 in coverage and little to no blitzing and was not particularly effective. I think Phil Parker is a better defensive coordinator than Norm for today's game, because he has adapted to the game along the way with the Raider package, Cash linebacker/safety hybrid, and he has had knack for finding DB recruits that play better than their recruiting rank.

The fact that we don't run a 3-4 like Wisconsin probably impacts recruiting sometimes. A prospect like Campbell seems like good fit for Linebacker in a 3-4.

Twedt is an interesting prospect. When he was healthy ... he put up absolutely absurd tackling numbers. Should he develop favorably ... he could end up a mighty fine LB for us.

On the 4th and goal, he almost sells out to the run, then sprints back into coverage to get the pick. Dude is a killer!!!
Both mentally and physically, his play is exceptional. If his development continues, he'll be our next consensus All-American.

This will be an unpopular opinion but I don't think I Benson should play over Campbell. I really like Benson's tackling ability and his instincts seem to be pretty good.

I do not think he has the athleticism that Campbell has. I love this guy. It isn't a knock on Benson as much as I think Campbell is an all-star.
I think you are spot on

Reactions: Hawkfan_08
I will toss out Andy Katzenmoyer. For a MLB, he was a superb pass rusher.

I like this comparison and it was my first thought as well when i saw this thread. Campbell I think is a bit more athletic while Katzenmoyer was perhaps a little bigger/stronger at the same stage. Freakish athleticism for their size at the MLB position. If Campbell isn't starting and playing every defensive snap next year something is wrong, the kid simply has too much talent. Jacobs has flashed at times too, quite the LB crew we have returning for next year. Will be interesting to see how things shake out next year with Colbert potentially returning, seems like he has been passed up by others at this point.

With the lack of DB's maybe we return to a traditional 3 4 next year. Just wondering out loud.

With the lack of DB's maybe we return to a traditional 3 4 next year. Just wondering out loud.
We return a starting CB ... we return our starting safeties ... and we return a starting CASH. In addition to that Bracy, a freshman, played a lot this season ... and he's a guy who projects nicely at safety/CASH.

The only starting spot that is open is the spot being vacated by Hankins. However, even then, we have 2 CB candidates vying for the open spot (Harris and Roberts) ... both of whom are guys that Phil likes.

Iowa still uses the 4-3 ... it's now just a package in our defense rather than being our "base" D. We used our 4-3 plenty ... with Barrington Wade seeing a good number of reps there. Besides that, we rotated our personnel at LB quite a bit ... with 4 guys seeing a lot of reps (Niemann, Benson, Campbell, and Wade).

In order to run a 3-4, your NT is pretty crucial and in KF’s words “Needs to be as wide as a doorway.” Do we have that guy? Nixon is the clear choice, but will be playing on Sunday’s. Maybe Heflin could be that guy, if he stays.

At LB, I would be pretty tempted to put Higgins in there at one of the MLB spots, Benson at the other, with Campbell and Jacob’s outside. When you crowd the LOS in a 3-4 itlooks a lot like a 5-2, and I like what Campbell and Jacob’s would bring as far as speed from those OLB or DE spots.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT