ADVERTISEMENT

Learfield and Barta

Jul 14, 2022
After listening to the Heinrich’s interview, it’s hard to believe both Barta and Learfield are so shortsighted. How can they not see the end game for both of their best interests is to elevate the Swarm as much as possible? Trying to maximize their revenue doesn’t help Iowa athletics.

UNC is dealing with the same issue. It does do a deep dive into what the athletic departments are dealing with this. Without money flowing through the departments - you're looking at other sports getting axed.

Check out this NYT article:

UNC is dealing with the same issue. It does do a deep dive into what the athletic departments are dealing with this. Without money flowing through the departments - you're looking at other sports getting axed.

Check out this NYT article:

Can’t read the article behind a paywall. Interesting though that UNC is noted as they were the ones that he cited as the most collaborative with their NIL collective. They actually supported their collective by providing the donor list and actually telling them to funnel their funds to the collective to keep their young star quarterback. And here our department is charging for advertising and partnering with a media partner that’s doing the same. In any business, there’s great partnerships that you want to Sponsor that align either loosely or closely with what you’re doing. How Learfield and Barta can’t see that is mind-boggling.

Reactions: Stoopsbrother
After listening to the Heinrich’s interview, it’s hard to believe both Barta and Learfield are so shortsighted. How can they not see the end game for both of their best interests is to elevate the Swarm as much as possible? Trying to maximize their revenue doesn’t help Iowa athletics.
Aren't the NIL groups separate entities from the universities?

Yes, and legally they have to be but that doesn’t mean they can work together to promote the Swarm. The cooperation hasn’t been there. They see the swarm as a competitor.
To me being paid for N.I.L. is evolving into play for pay. Maybe the NCAA should hone their rules a bit. Money equals power. Who will control the athletic programs? I do not want non-university entities controlling the "college" sports programs.

To me being paid for N.I.L. is evolving into play for pay. Maybe the NCAA should hone their rules a bit. Money equals power. Who will control the athletic programs? I do not want non-university entities controlling the "college" sports programs.
I completely agree. Nil has nothing to do with what's going on. Alabamas qb did dr pepper commercials and got paid for that but when you hear about a freshman getting offered millions to come to a college there is absolutely no nil going on. It has become 99% pay for play.

Yes, and legally they have to be but that doesn’t mean they can work together to promote the Swarm. The cooperation hasn’t been there. They see the swarm as a competitor.

No cooperation?

Sure looks like the Swarm is hosting events inside Carver Hawkeye Arena before men's basketball home games.

What cooperation was Heinrichs claiming to be lacking and clamoring for in this interview?

Maybe the OP should link to this mysterious interview that the entire thread is about?

No cooperation?

Sure looks like the Swarm is hosting events inside Carver Hawkeye Arena before men's basketball home games.

What cooperation was Heinrichs claiming to be lacking and clamoring for in this interview?
It’s a good listen. Long but informative.

What should be the simplest ask is just to send out communication to the season-ticket holders. He doesn’t even ask for the email list specifically but if the University of Iowa could send out a communication informing the STHs about the swarm that’s all he’s asking. Seems like a very simple ask.

Like I said before the UNC A.D. went out of his way to tell donors to funnel their money through their collective to keep their quarterback and other players. He said the athletic department will just be fine, but that is the new way donors can help out.

Especially with the new money that’s going to be coming in under the new TV deal they should be operating under a budget that doesn’t require donor money.

In order to advertise on the scoreboard at Kinnick, for instance, you have to pay Learfield Sports. Instead of offering to give The Swarm free space, they charged them at the regular rate. That's some absolute bullshit!

What the OP is getting at is that the quality of the product on the field is directly related to NIL which is run by The Swarm and the revenue generated for Learfield and the University is directly related to the quality of the product on the field. You'd think they'd be smart enough to do what they can do help The Swarm. So far, that isn't the case at all.

Last edited:
In order to advertise on the scoreboard at Kinnick, for instance, you have to pay Learfield Sports. Instead of offering to give The Swarm free space, they charged them at the regular rate. That's some absolute bullshit!

What the OP is getting at is that the quality of the product on the field is directly related to NIL which is run by The Storm and the revenue generated for Learfield and the University is directly related to the quality of the product on the field. You'd think they'd be smart enough to do what they can do help The Swarm. So far, that isn't the case at all.
Not that cut and dried and transparent. We don't know what level of cooperation is there between coaching staffs and Swarm? Is kirk telling them who they are offering or does each kid go to Swarm when they get an offer and say hey what can you give me? How is that working and who prioritizes what? If the head of Swarm is trying to be a defacto GM, then I could see significant friction. We probably know about 50% of what is going on.

What should be the simplest ask is just to send out communication to the season-ticket holders. He doesn’t even ask for the email list specifically but if the University of Iowa could send out a communication informing the STHs about the swarm that’s all he’s asking. Seems like a very simple ask.

Like I said before the UNC A.D. went out of his way to tell donors to funnel their money through their collective to keep their quarterback and other players. He said the athletic department will just be fine, but that is the new way donors can help out.

Especially with the new money that’s going to be coming in under the new TV deal they should be operating under a budget that doesn’t require donor money.
I don't get spam mail broadcasts from athletics now and I would prefer never to.

And on what planet do people live that do not know about this already? Especially season ticket holders. We know.

Reactions: InsaneHawkJJP
I don't get spam mail broadcasts from athletics now and I would prefer never to.

And on what planet do people live that do not know about this already? Especially season ticket holders. We know.
Believe it or not, not everyone follows this as closely as you think. Even listening to this podcast, there were callers that were unaware of swarm. Just think if people are hearing about it on the podcast for the first time how many don’t have an awareness to it in the general public. Especially “ old money” season-ticket holders.

Not that cut and dried and transparent. We don't know what level of cooperation is there between coaching staffs and Swarm? Is kirk telling them who they are offering or does each kid go to Swarm when they get an offer and say hey what can you give me? How is that working and who prioritizes what? If the head of Swarm is trying to be a defacto GM, then I could see significant friction. We probably know about 50% of what is going on.
I’m just telling you that the leader of the swarm is being fairly vocal about the lack of cooperation. That should tell you everything you need to know. It sounds like the coaches are very in tuned and understand the importance of the collective where as the athletic department does not.

You can listen to the podcast and have your own takeaways, but that was mine. And it’s very alarming.

You should listen to the interview posted above. Kirk and Fran are absolutely on-board with the Swarm and have said it's their best and only way to succeed.

Additionally, your reply doesn't address my statement at all which was the Learfield is more interested in lining their pockets than helping the Swarm succeed. They should be offering all the free advertisement Swarm wants as it's in Learfield's best long term interest.

My solution would be for all the pro sports be allowed to hire athletes directly out of High School. The NFL could form its own minor leagues and not have college football be it. N.I.L. would be for an athlete to use their N.I.L for services to a business or other entity. Being paid to play would make them ineligible.

You should listen to the interview posted above. Kirk and Fran are absolutely on-board with the Swarm and have said it's their best and only way to succeed.

Additionally, your reply doesn't address my statement at all which was the Learfield is more interested in lining their pockets than helping the Swarm succeed. They should be offering all the free advertisement Swarm wants as it's in Learfield's best long term interest.
Doesn't Learfield cover numerous universities? We can't be unique with Learfield.

The athletic department should just give their entire email list to an outside entity? Are they even allowed to do that? I don't want them giving out my information to third parties.

The Swarm dude sure wants a lot of stuff for free (season ticket holder personal data, free in-stadium advertising), yet doesn't mind naming himself CEO. LOL. Why not CEO and President? Chairman of the Board?

Learfield has a GIANT university list. Just glancing, but it appears to cover most of the B10 and the SEC and other P5 conferences. Maybe you should find out of Alabama and Georgia collectives get free advertising space from Learfield.

The athletic department should just give their entire email list to an outside entity? Are they even allowed to do that? I don't want them giving out my information to third parties.

The Swarm dude sure wants a lot of stuff for free (season ticket holder personal data, free in-stadium advertising), yet doesn't mind naming himself CEO. LOL. Why not CEO and President? Chairman of the Board?

Learfield has a GIANT university list. Just glancing, but it appears to cover most of the B10 and the SEC and other P5 conferences. Maybe you should find out of Alabama and Georgia collectives get free advertising space from Learfield.

You're mad about his title? The guy takes $0 salary to run the Swarm which is ridiculously time consuming.

He asked them to add a leaflet/mention of the Swarm with the communications to the season ticket holders. That seems absolutely in the best interest of everyone involved. That's the hilarious thing about all this is that Barta's job hinges on winning and winning hinges on NIL money to bring in good players.

Interestingly, in that interview, he also mentioned several I Clubs were considering breaking free from the university so that they could instead fundraise for the Swarm. Most people, including Fran and Kirk understand how important the Swarm is to the success of Iowa Men's and Women's basketball and football.

I guarantee you not everybody knows about the swarm! My friend played for Iowa… Not football or basketball… And he wasn’t aware of the Swarm a week ago.
Tell him to come to this message board and he will know everything about everything in a matter of a week.

He must never visit social media in any form?

Reactions: hawkhockey

I am a long time season ticket holder and received a communication from the University of Iowa's Athletic Department about The Swarm and urging me to support it. Pretty sure that I also received an email containing a video of Kirk Ferentz urging me to support The Swarm. I don't have any sort of "special status."

I'll listen to the linked recording and keep an open mind but I'll admit to being a little skeptical of the "we're not getting any cooperation" claim.

He literally donated $100k of his own money. By all accounts, he’s done incredibly well for himself and is doing this for nothing but his passion for Iowa sports.
Besides that he stepped up and filled a need Iowa desperately needed filled. If he hadn't set up the swarm where would we be right now? Up a creek without a paddle no doubt. I for one am grateful that we have a big fan with the skills and ability to get this thing going.

I am a long time season ticket holder and received a communication from the University of Iowa's Athletic Department about The Swarm and urging me to support it. Pretty sure that I also received an email containing a video of Kirk Ferentz urging me to support The Swarm. I don't have any sort of "special status."

I'll listen to the linked recording and keep an open mind but I'll admit to being a little skeptical of the "we're not getting any cooperation" claim.
I too have received the same.

Thankfully, it appears that Barta realized how ridiculous he was being. I'm pretty sure it took urging from Fran and Kirk to make him see this. That's why you're now seeing this communication.

I really can't believe the level of ignorance displayed in this post. Are you a fan of Iowa athletics or a paid lobbyist for Learfield?

This. Understand how Learfield makes their money and you'll understand why they don't hand out free advertising.

This is being way overblown by The Swarm people.
I wonder how Tyler Barnes handles it with recruits. Does he give them Swarm contact info to see what bag of goodies they may have to offer? Can Tyler communicate directly with Swarm and say hey we need this guy bad make him as sweet of a deal as you can?

Reactions: Bishop1971
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT