ADVERTISEMENT

Learfield and Barta

What did the Ohio State Athletic Director say to their fans about their collective? Something like, “stop donating to the athletic department and start donating to the collective.”

What did the Ohio State Athletic Director say to their fans about their collective? Something like, “stop donating to the athletic department and start donating to the collective.”
I remember the press conference when Day specifically said they needed something like 13 million just to keep their players they already have. I wish Iowa was specifically asking people to donate to the swarm

He did not say "stop supporting the AD".

He asked for "additional support":

“We welcome your help in keeping Ohio State at the top of the college athletics landscape. Three ‘collective’ organizations that are helping our Buckeyes maximize NIL opportunities are in operation and seeking additional support.”

He did not say "stop supporting the AD".

He asked for "additional support":

“We welcome your help in keeping Ohio State at the top of the college athletics landscape. Three ‘collective’ organizations that are helping our Buckeyes maximize NIL opportunities are in operation and seeking additional support.”

Can you see our AD doing something like that?

I have a feeling that if Barta asked for "additional support" (aka even more money for Iowa football) for NIL, the fan base would lose their ****ing minds and scream at him that it is not their job to fund Iowa athletics.

Can’t read the article behind a paywall. Interesting though that UNC is noted as they were the ones that he cited as the most collaborative with their NIL collective. They actually supported their collective by providing the donor list and actually telling them to funnel their funds to the collective to keep their young star quarterback. And here our department is charging for advertising and partnering with a media partner that’s doing the same. In any business, there’s great partnerships that you want to Sponsor that align either loosely or closely with what you’re doing. How Learfield and Barta can’t see that is mind-boggling.
Open it in Firefox and hit F9 (Reader view) you should see it.

I am a long time season ticket holder and received a communication from the University of Iowa's Athletic Department about The Swarm and urging me to support it. Pretty sure that I also received an email containing a video of Kirk Ferentz urging me to support The Swarm. I don't have any sort of "special status."

I'll listen to the linked recording and keep an open mind but I'll admit to being a little skeptical of the "we're not getting any cooperation" claim.

After listening to the Heinrich’s interview, it’s hard to believe both Barta and Learfield are so shortsighted. How can they not see the end game for both of their best interests is to elevate the Swarm as much as possible? Trying to maximize their revenue doesn’t help Iowa athletics.
I listened to the recorded podcast. After listening to what Heinrichs actually said, I'm left with the impression that your post is misleading and/or overstates the "actual" level of supposed non-cooperation.

Can you see our AD doing something like that?
I really wish that Barta could simply come out with something like "thank you to Brad Heinrichs, the SWARM staff, and every Hawkeye fan who contributes to the effort - and so many important projects involving Iowa Athletics. I encourage you to go to www.iowaswarm.com and learn more about how you can support Hawkeye student-athletes."

Would it be so difficult to do that?

Reactions: Bishop1971
The athletic department should just give their entire email list to an outside entity?

When Heinrichs first went public (he jokingly suggested that he went "nuclear") on social media about a lack of cooperation and cited the fact that Barta wouldn't give him donor information, I used the Google machine and typed in "University of Iowa donations privacy policy" and read it.

Perhaps if Heinrichs and others had performed that relatively simple act, the outrage that ensued wouldn't have taken place.

When pushed, Heinrichs admits that he has some second hand information that some AD at Iowa before Barta's tenure was willing to give up that information.

Ummm . . . personal privacy issues have markedly escalated as technology has advanced. I'd bet good money that privacy policies at the UI have evolved many times even during Barta's tenure.

Still waiting for Heinrichs to name a single B1G institution that willingly gave up donor lists.

The email advertising the Storm was a video of Fran encouraging fans to be part of it.

Tell him to come to this message board and he will know everything about everything in a matter of a week.

He must never visit social media in any form?
he posts regularly on the new site and has great inside info…… he and Kakert both….. their main board is called the swarm lounge

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT