ADVERTISEMENT

Leave the World Behind - New Netflix Movie ***Spoilers***

alaskanseminole

HR Legend
Oct 20, 2002
Anyone see it yet?

First off, the ending, while fitting, was one of those "Are you kidding me!? That's it!?" type endings. While it's billed as a physcological thriller, it's really commontary on two fronts

1. It's a cautionary tale about our reliance on technology; Ethan Hawke at one point literally admits he's nothing without it.

2. It's also a very relevant film about the historical fissures in modern American society that threaten to see the nation implode.--Racism, class inequality, intolerance, etc. It really made me think of HROT and how the members here would react and behave in a similar situation.

Leave the World Behind
R
2023 ‧ Thriller/Drama ‧ 2h 21m

Leave the World Behind is here and it's chilling. Starring Julia Roberts, Mahershala Ali, and Ethan Hawke, the apocalyptic thriller from Mr. Robot creator Sam Esmail tells the story of two families as they fight for survival amid an inexplicable blackout. Only one thing's for sure: There is no going back to normal.

It was alright. I thought the ending was appropriate. They all were heading to the house with the bunker and had it in their sites at one point. It was basically Bill Murray's house in Zombieland. I wish they explained the deer a little better.

Reactions: JupiterHawk
Anyone see it yet?

First off, the ending, while fitting, was one of those "Are you kidding me!? That's it!?" type endings. While it's billed as a physcological thriller, it's really commontary on two fronts

1. It's a cautionary tale about our reliance on technology; Ethan Hawke at one point literally admits he's nothing without it.

2. It's also a very relevant film about the historical fissures in modern American society that threaten to see the nation implode.--Racism, class inequality, intolerance, etc. It really made me think of HROT and how the members here would react and behave in a similar situation.

Leave the World Behind
R

Leave the World Behind is here and it's chilling. Starring Julia Roberts, Mahershala Ali, and Ethan Hawke, the apocalyptic thriller from Mr. Robot creator Sam Esmail tells the story of two families as they fight for survival amid an inexplicable blackout. Only one thing's for sure: There is no going back to normal.

I thought it was very interesting BUT.....if there isn't a sequel or a series spin off F them.

One of those leave you hanging endings that are pretty infuriating if that's it.

I thought it was very interesting BUT.....if there isn't a sequel or a series spin off F them.

One of those leave you hanging endings that are pretty infuriating if that's it.
It would/could be a great series; The Walking Dead without zombies. I found Julia Robert's commentary about why she's so angry to be pretty spot on. My God why are we ALL so damn angry...and easily manipulated?

Reactions: FAUlty Gator
Anyone see it yet?

Leave the World Behind
R

I was actually thinking about posting something about this movie as well.
I watched it over the weekend and have thought about it off and on since then.
It does make a person stop and think about what is going on in this world.
The girl in the movie is exactly what I feel like kids today would do if this was going on. All she cared about was her damn friends series that she was watching instead of what was really going on. I also wonder if she would have thought about going back at some point and getting her family.

It was an okay movie but the ending was horrible. It’s like they ran out of money and just ended it. Now if it had a follow-up movie I would understand but it won’t.

I thought it tried too hard. The symbolism was weird, the obvious racist tones added nothing to the story, and the far right is latching onto it “this is our warning!” Shit.

Everything about it was shit.

Ending is the same in the book apparently

Last edited:

It didn't leave you hanging. Watch the last 10 minutes again. Everyone had a line on the bunker house. The ending is simple. That's where they were all gonna meet up and be safe in the bunker. Daughter was in the house already. Mom and daughter were in the woods heading to the house. The three dudes were in the car leaving Kevin Bacon and heading there. That's it. What else was there to do?

It didn't leave you hanging. Watch the last 10 minutes again. Everyone had a line on the bunker house. The ending is simple. That's where they were all gonna meet up and be safe in the bunker. Daughter was in the house already. Mom and daughter were in the woods heading to the house. The three dudes were in the car leaving Kevin Bacon and heading there. That's it. What else was there to do?
Do they all make it to the bunker house?

Do julia Robert’s and GH have me up hooking up later in as they almost did during the movie?

Does Ethan hawk end up making a move on GH’s daughter because she says he wants her but won’t do anything because he’s a good guy?

Does the son survive and just have to gum all his food the rest of his life?

What does the daughter do once she’s done watching friends?

What happens to the rest of the world?

Do they have to fight off others?

Does Kevin Bacon end up trying to go to the bunker once he runs out of resources and they have to shoot him?

Want me to keep going?[/ISPOILER
]

Last edited:
Reactions: TennNole17
Do they all make it to the bunker house?

Do julia Robert’s and GH have me up hooking up later in as they almost did during the movie?

Does Ethan hawk end up making a move on GH’s daughter because she says he wants her but won’t do anything because he’s a good guy?

Does the son survive and just have to gum all his food the rest of his life?

What does the daughter do once she’s done watching friends?

What happens to the rest of the world?

Do they have to fight off others?

Does Kevin Bacon end up trying to go to the bunker once he runs out of resources and they have to shoot him?

Want me to keep going?
Oh...you wanted a 37 hour movie. Gotcha.

• Haha
Reactions: alaskanseminole
Loved it. What was the three pronged attack GH was referring to that his defense contractor (or was it investor?) friend was terrified of? Something like…

Step 1: Cripple all lines and forms of communication

Step 2: Disorient, confuse and spread misinformation

Step 3: Incite Civil War

Not exact wording, but if I recall from the movie, that was the gist of it.

Really makes you think what things would be like if something like this really happened. Specifically, if all forms of communication were knocked out. I don’t think anyone under 50 would be able to survive more than an hour or two, lol.

Or if there was an attempt to turn everyone against each other… see today’s politics and media.

And the Tesla scene was freaky.

Loved it. What was the three pronged attack GH was referring to that his defense contractor (or was it investor?) friend was terrified of? Something like…

Really makes you think what things would be like if something like this really happened. Specifically, if all forms of communication were knocked out. I don’t think anyone under 50 would be able to survive more than an hour or two, lol.

Or if there was an attempt to turn everyone against each other… see today’s politics and media.

Spot on.

The pacing is what made the movie "boring" to most--our brains aren't wired for commentary. We want non-stop action! I'd venture to say many who watched this film multi-tasked with their phones completely missing the irony of it all.

The deer and flamingo stuff was just weird. Like the one alpha deer ripped like a kangaroo?

The weird racism to romance bit.

Was all over the place- with what could have been a more fleshed out, realistic end of the world movie or series.

The deer and flamingo stuff was just weird. Like the one alpha deer ripped like a kangaroo?

The weird racism to romance bit.

Was all over the place- with what could have been a more fleshed out, realistic end of the world movie or series.
I agree, it could have been better. Rotten Tomatoes has it around 35% fan reviews. I'd put it around 60%.

I liked the symbolism with the generation gaps combined with the privilege symbols. Julia seemed to represent the Boomer perspective. Angry all the time and constantly on guard for danger. Ethan was GenX. Everything usually comes pretty easy for him. He's not threatened, nor does he pose any real threat, but he's almost useless in an emergency. The millennial was the owner's daughter, who could recognize the dangers and was angry about them, but lacked the skill or desire to really help. And the kids, especially the daughter, seemed to be GenY, with the knowledge and temperament to actually help, but too obsessed with technology to be able to do anything really helpful.

I don't know. Maybe I was reading too much into it.

I walked away from the movie thinking “I really want a kick ass bunker in my house”.

And then have caught myself thinking what DVDs I would really want to have on hand to get through the end-times.
I’d want all seasons of The Office, Family Guy, Married with Children, Mystery Science Theater 3000, Columbo, Trailer Park Boys, Breaking Bad, King of the Hill, Seinfeld, and South Park. These are all my “comfort” shows… shows that always cheer me up and help me forget about what’s going on in the real world.

Countless movies, too.

Does it make it more or less scary knowing that former president barack Obam a contributed to this movie?

Here is a quote from the director:
I am writing what I think is fiction, for the most part, I’m trying to keep it as true to life as possible, but I’m exaggerating and dramatizing. And to hear an ex-president say you’re off by a few details… I thought I was off by a lot! The fact that he said that scared the f— out of me,” Esmail said

It would/could be a great series; The Walking Dead without zombies. I found Julia Robert's commentary about why she's so angry to be pretty spot on. My God why are we ALL so damn angry...and easily manipulated?

8d51ef4378e10d97504b3c865df320dd.gif

• Love
Reactions: alaskanseminole
I thought it tried too hard. The symbolism was weird, the obvious racist tones added nothing to the story, and the far right is latching onto it “this is our warning!” Shit.

Everything about it was shit.

Ending is the same in the book apparently
The far right is latching on to a movie produced by Barak and Michelle?

That's end of times shit right there

This is currently being accomplished by foreign actors. We are right in the start of it.
Note that barrack and Michelle Obama were producers. I found the fact that Obama sees this as an issue the scariest thing about the movie.

Ex president giving notes on how to topple the United States. What a patriot. Also the movie was boring as all hell.

One has to wonder what prompted a president to agree to do a movie like this. Was he sending a message?
I think this board has the type of people that would shoot their neighbors.
Just think about how small of an investment it took to accelerate political vitriol in the USA. Trump like it or not, willing or not is a vessel for foreign interference.

Reactions: Hawk_82
I think this board has the type of people that would shoot their neighbors.
Just think about how small of an investment it took to accelerate political vitriol in the USA. Trump like it or not, willing or not is a vessel for foreign interference.
Because we don’t currently have neighbors shooting each other. Heck all it takes is someone wearing a different color of clothing in todays world.

That was the worst shit I’ve seen in years. They had a cast, lots of camera angles, tons of creepy music, lots of deep conversations about society… but about 20% of a plot. Most pretentious garbage I’ve seen in ages.

The wife and I enjoyed it. It is pretty clear the Obamas supported it at least partially, as a warning of what America could come to in a worst case scenario. It is also one of the former President's favorite books.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT