ADVERTISEMENT

LeBron James says Black People are terrified of cops

Black people have good reason to fear cops. I’m sure they can tell you plenty of stories that they, friends and family have personally experienced.

Reactions: Jackie Treehorn
So can I.

I guess I’m just lucky I’ve never been “terrified” enough of cops to ignore what they told me to do.

No, I’m sure they don’t approach and talk to you the same way.

Black people have been terrified of cops for a long time. This is not some recent phenomenon. While every case needs to be examined on its own merits, there is a long history of police brutality against blacks. Some of you who want to paint this as a made-up dystopian fantasy are just as dumb and ignorant as the woke folk.

This conversation is also bigger than blacks killed by police. Most of the time death isn't the end result. But there have been plenty of examples of police harassment and mistreatment of blacks that are ridiculous and completely unjustified.

Most cops are decent people who do their job honorably and with integrity. That shouldn't be lost in the conversation. But some of the rhetoric from the right is getting pretty stupid and anal retentive. And whether you like it or not, or choose not to believe it because you are as moronic as you are conceited, you are basing your opinions on your feelings and no one with a functioning brain gives a shit. How about instead of all this absurd indignation you just STFU and let black celebrities speak as they see fit? It's pretty simple.

We get it. Some of you don't watch the NBA because you are too culturally refined for it. And yet, you dumb, insecure f***s just can't stop talking about it. Get the f*** over it. We get it. How dare these uppity n***** do anything but shut up and dribble? Got it. Thank you for your worthless contribution to this board. Now STFU, eat shit, and go live out the rest of your meaningless existence in Ohio or wherever the f*** you're from where people are actually impressed with how much of a whiny little bitch you are.

Seriously, this obsession with the NBA and its players has surpassed abject stupidity. GTF over it. Move on, pilgrim.

Didn't seem to be an issue during 8 years of Obama, we just shut up & worked.

No, I’m sure they don’t approach and talk to you the same way.

I’ve been pulled over at 4 o’clock in the afternoon with no explanation, 20 minutes later, the cop reapproached my car and said do you know why I pulled you over, and I said I have no idea at all. He then proceeded to tell me that one of my headlights were out...
You see, it was barely drizzling outside, and in order to obey the law I cut my headlights on, apparently one of my headlights had gone out between the night before and the time of my stop. My ticket was over $200, and the person I was working for at the time threatened to fire me if I didn’t fight it in court.

another time I was driving down through a bad section of town when multiple cop cars, at least four or five with headlights flashing, passed me at high speed on both my left and right side as I swerved to get out of their way. Another cop car put on its light and pulled me and wanted to know why I was swerving all over the road. He then asked me if I had any weapons in my possession... I told him I had a handgun in my trunk.... By now I have four or five cops around me late at night in a bad section of town. I was cooperative I allowed them to open my trunk, where they examined the weapon and allowed me to leave.

Another time, I was looking at cars in a used car lot after it was closed...when multiple police cars pulled up with guns drawn and demanded I hold my hands in the air and questioned me on what was I doing...Again I kept my cool, Made no sudden movements, and did everything they asked me to do.

It isn’t rocket science, when you’re put in a bad situation, you don’t make it worse with even more poor judgment.

Yeah, because one instance of defiance means every other black person is automatically unfazed and not fearful. Outliers do not negate decades of police brutality and I suggest you research the historical relationship between police and blacks, particularly in the south, that has contributed to the African American community’s natural distrust and fear of law enforcement.

I’m not in fear for my life, but I’ve always been a little different.

My wife is African-American. Successful, educated, medical field. Her family are all successful. No one ever in trouble with the law. All attended 'white' schools growing up.

We were discussing this deal recently and she said most cops are bad cops. I was like 'what?'. Her and her brother basically felt most cops had chips on their shoulders and were punks in high school that liked to throw their weight around. I disagreed. I find it hard to believe most cops are bad people. Granted, my interactions with police have been different.

This is one of those situations where we could really use more dialogue between blacks and whites. I see a tremendous number of people on social media taking very hard stances on this while they meanwhile have no connections or friendships with black people. How can you understand issues within a community if you don't have any direct dialogue with people? A lot of miscommunication going on here on a very complex issue.

My wife is African-American. Successful, educated, medical field. Her family are all successful. No one ever in trouble with the law. All attended 'white' schools growing up.

We were discussing this deal recently and she said most cops are bad cops. I was like 'what?'. Her and her brother basically felt most cops had chips on their shoulders and were punks in high school that liked to throw their weight around. I disagreed. I find it hard to believe most cops are bad people. Granted, my interactions with police have been different.

This is one of those situations where we could really use more dialogue between blacks and whites. I see a tremendous number of people on social media taking very hard stances on this while they meanwhile have no connections or friendships with black people. How can you understand issues within a community if you don't have any direct dialogue with people? A lot of miscommunication going on here on a very complex issue.

This part won’t be complex...

would she agree that cooperating when detained...

instead of being combative...

would prevent a large percentage of the actually very small number of Black and White people being shot by cops every year?

I do agree with your wife that way too many cops have chips on their shoulders...all the more reason to not be combative...

Reactions: Greenway4Prez
How can you understand issues within a community if you don't have any direct dialogue with people? A lot of miscommunication going on here on a very complex issue.
This is spot on.

There is so much misunderstanding, fueled by the decisive rhetoric of talking heads who have an agenda. Too many people get their “information” and talking points from Facebook memes, politicians and the like. They think they understand the problem, but the reality is most of us don’t (Including me - I wish I could have a deeper understanding of the root issues).

We could all use a heavy dose of societal empathy, spending time talking and learning from those who come from different backgrounds. Unfortunately, right now the pervasive language is that of division.

Does it matter? Did he look terrified to you?

It absolutely matters. If black people are saying they are afraid of cops, then I, as a white person, believe them. Why wouldn’t I?
It’s also funny that those throwing the biggest fit about wearing a mask are the same people telling black people to just listen and do whatever a cop tells them to do.

It absolutely matters. If black people are saying they are afraid of cops, then I, as a white person, believe them. Why wouldn’t I?
It’s also funny that those throwing the biggest fit about wearing a mask are the same people telling black people to just listen and do whatever a cop tells them to do.

If you were "terrified", of a cop pointing a gun at you and telling you not to move...would you ignore him and walk from one side of a car to the other, and then reach into the car for whatever, as the cops try to pull you back by your shirt, after already having tried to subdue and taze you with no effect?

I await your answer.

Reactions: Mattski
If you were "terrified", of a cop pointing a gun at you and telling you not to move...would you ignore him and walk from one side of a car to the other, and then reach into the car for whatever, as the cops try to pull you back by your shirt, after already having tried to subdue and taze you with no effect?

I await your answer.

I wasn’t there and I wasn’t in his shoes, so I can’t answer what I would do. You can’t either.

Apparently too many people are not scared of resisting arrest.

bad choices often lead to bad outcomes.

if you don’t want to trust a cop with an itchy trigger finger don’t give him a reason.

Reactions: Mattski and lr1007
Whenever I want to amuse myself during times like these I come to threads like this and see what a vast majority of white people who grew up around a vast majority of white people feel about race relations. Kinda sad but also very entertaining how totally and completely clueless many of you are. Few places are home to so many completely clueless people who think they are experts as Iowa. Enjoy your bubble, rubes

You are right. It’s sad that a domestic disturbance with a white guy from Iowa is going to be different than a black guy, but that’s the country we live in.

How about if that white person in Iowa is at a residence a court has told him to stay away from and has an arrest warrant for raping a minor?

Oh snap. Nevermind...

You think you can't answer questions.

Last edited:
Whenever I want to amuse myself during times like these I come to threads like this and see what a vast majority of white people who grew up around a vast majority of white people feel about race relations. Kinda sad but also very entertaining how totally and completely clueless many of you are. Few places are home to so many completely clueless people who think they are experts as Iowa. Enjoy your bubble, rubes
I also find it funny when people seem to think resisting arrest is a good idea.

I wonder if every time I got pulled over for speeding if I grabbed a knife and wrestled with the cop if I would still be alive.

I don’t think this situation is all that “deep”.

I suspect a vast majority of black people also feel it's stupid to resist arrest.

Do you feel I'm wrong on this?

How bought if that white person in Iowa is at a residence a court has told him to stay away from and has an arrest warrant for raping a minor?

Oh snap. Nevermind...

You think you can't answer questions.

JHC. My apologies, didn’t know I was communicating with someone who suffers from a mental illness. I’ll be more empathetic in the future.

JHC. My apologies, didn’t know I was communicating with someone who suffers from a mental illness. I’ll be more empathetic in the future.

Thanks.

You can start by not hiding behind an absurd position that you're incapable of answering what you would do if a cop told you not to resist arrest.

I think there is some real truth to black people being mistreated to some degree by police. You also have to take into account the crime rates and what population is committing crimes- that is going to cause a bias no matter how hard you try to curb it.

The issue I have is everyone things that you can not comply and do whatever you want and then be outraged that they took action against you. In this case in Kenosha those police already knew he had a giant rap sheet and a warrant. You go into that with your senses heightened to a degree. When he was argumentative, resisting arrest, resisted the taser, walked around to his car door, reached under the seat it is hard to blame the police for what happened in my view.

One doesn’t need to have multiple perspectives and an advanced world view to know that you listen and comply with the police (or ANY authority figure for that matter).

Repect your parents. Your teachers. Coaches. Supervisors. Police.

Yes, I absolutely believe blacks have good reason to be leery. That is all the more reason to comply, AND I also think police need to be cognizant of this to try their best to calm and diffuse tensions.

Reactions: Bro D and Run&Blade
I'm white and they scare me a bit. I've been attempted to be searched 4 times now and probably pulled over a dozen.

Of course I often wear a bandana and have a bit of a drug-dealer aesthetic going on.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
America! Freedom!
...but, you'd better not cross a cop, and had better do exactly what they say or else you may be shot...
USA! USA!

Reactions: Jackie Treehorn
America! Freedom!
...but, you'd better not cross a cop, and had better do exactly what they say or else you may be shot...
USA! USA!

350 million people. Millions of police encounters every year.

350 million people. Millions of police encounters every year.

Just think how bad the problem really is with those numbers. Death is an extreme case.
But, questionable tickets, illegal searches, civil asset forfeiture and many other types of activities are occurring far too often as well.

Just think how bad the problem really is with those numbers. Death is an extreme case.
But, questionable tickets, illegal searches, civil asset forfeiture and many other types of activities are occurring far too often as well.

You alluded to being shot. That's what I was responding to.

You alluded to being shot. That's what I was responding to.

Fair enough. Yes, there are those that would say if you do now follow an officer's orders explicitly, then you risk being shot.

This is a valid point. A buddy of mine (black dude) grew up in Waterloo, came to CR for college, and now lives back in Waterloo. He owns his own business, and is a very successful guy. After the George Floyd incident, he made a post on social media. The post broke down every single time he's been pulled over by the cops in Waterloo/CR since he turned 16 (got his license). He's 33 years old and at that point had been pulled over 21 times by police, solely when he was driving. He didn't include any of the times he was a passenger. He broke down each one into a little bit of detail ( I don't remember much of those details, but a handful of them were "fitting a description" or "suspicious vehicle" and just generic type stuff, most were not speeding, light out, or anything like that).
Anyways, of the 21 times, he only received 2 tickets and those were both for speeding. But almost every single time they asked him if they could search his vehicle. He's a smart dude and knew his rights, so he never let them. His point of the post was that essentially black guys are targeted more often than white folks, and will have more interactions with cops than your average Caucasian Joe. I found it pretty interesting.

In 2015, Lebron signed a lifetime endorsement deal with Nike, likely to pay him over $1 billion by the time he's 64.
Wonder how sweatshop workers feel about Lebron James.

Keep taking that shoe money while neglected people and children in 3rd world countries churn out your product. But yes. Please preach to us more about social justice.

You are right. It’s sad that a domestic disturbance with a white guy from Iowa is going to be different than a black guy, but that’s the country we live in.
You mean like the guy in Nevada, IA walking around with a sword. He didn’t even make it to being shot by a real gun, the taser killed him first.

In related news that you can't make up

Los Angeles Lakers forward LeBron James has reportedly taken steps to secure his Southern California home following news it was targeted by burglars.

According to TMZ Sports, James hired "at least 10 armed security personnel," some of which are off-duty police officers, to patrol his house.
Nothing? I'm shocked nobody commented on the hypocrisy of LeBron saying something like this while having cops guard his 23 million dollar mansion. Shocked!

Nothing? I'm shocked nobody commented on the hypocrisy of LeBron saying something like this while having cops guard his 23 million dollar mansion. Shocked!
Lol I mean, I get where you're coming from here but what's he supposed to do? Hire gangsters?

Taking your point of view, the players should also be terrified of the cops working security at their games.

There's a difference between hiring cops as security, and getting pulled over in the city by a cop. Once again, I get what you're saying, but it's quite a stretch.

Lol I mean, I get where you're coming from here but what's he supposed to do? Hire gangsters?

Taking your point of view, the players should also be terrified of the cops working security at their games.

There's a difference between hiring cops as security, and getting pulled over in the city by a cop. Once again, I get what you're saying, but it's quite a stretch.
I'm just rabble rousin.. slow day at work

Reactions: McLovin32
Personally, I’m glad LeBron didn’t play during the 80’s those guys would have made him have a nervous breakdown from the razzing.

I couldn’t imagine Jordan saying something like that.

kobesoftgif

Reactions: anon_89hvcc2uyzmki
Someones gotta pay the billionaires taxes!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT