ADVERTISEMENT

Lee Corso, 81, signs contract to stay on ESPN’s ‘College GameDay’ team

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
ESPN has agreed to a multiyear contract extension with Lee Corso, the 81-year-old star of “College GameDay.”

Corso joined ESPN in 1987 and has been part of the popular college football Saturday pregame show ever since. His head-gear game predictions, off-the-cuff analysis and signature line — “Not so fast, my friend” — have endeared him to generations of college football fans.

The head-gear picks started in 1996 when Corso donned the head of Ohio State’s Brutus Buckeye before a game in Columbus with Penn State. He is on target to make his 300th head-gear pick during week six of the upcoming season.

In the spring of 2009, Corso suffered a stroke at his home in Florida, but returned to be part of the first “College GameDay” that season.

http://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/...ntract-to-stay-on-espns-college-gameday-team/

ESPN has agreed to a multiyear contract extension with Lee Corso, the 81-year-old star of “College GameDay.”

Corso joined ESPN in 1987 and has been part of the popular college football Saturday pregame show ever since. His head-gear game predictions, off-the-cuff analysis and signature line — “Not so fast, my friend” — have endeared him to generations of college football fans.

The head-gear picks started in 1996 when Corso donned the head of Ohio State’s Brutus Buckeye before a game in Columbus with Penn State. He is on target to make his 300th head-gear pick during week six of the upcoming season.

In the spring of 2009, Corso suffered a stroke at his home in Florida, but returned to be part of the first “College GameDay” that season.

http://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/...ntract-to-stay-on-espns-college-gameday-team/
Dave-Chappelle-Dammit.gif

Lee Corso came to Florida State from Miami in 1953 as one of the most highly recruited players in Florida history. Four years later, he graduated leaving a record for versatility rarely matched in collegiate sports. He starred on both offense and defense on the football field leading the Seminoles in interceptions in 1954, rushing in 1955, and passing in 1956, He was the FSU career interception leader with 14 until Deion Sanders tied him in the late 1980's. He was honorable mention All-America (Associated Press) as a senior in 1956 and was selected to play in the Blue-Gray All-Star game. Corso was also a fine outfielder on the Seminole baseball team. After graduation, Lee became an assistant football coach at Florida State, Maryland and Navy before becoming head coach at Louisville and Indiana. He became a household name as an ESPN analyst on the College Football Gameday television show.

Few people probably remember that Corso coached at Indiana University back in the 70's. Here is a classic story from a game he had against Woody Hayes and the Buckeyes.

Funny Lee Corso Story
Bloomington,IN Ohio St @ Indiana 1976
In the 2qtr with 14:55 to go Lee Corso head coach of Indiana called time out.

Here is the funny part, after taking a 7-6 lead over Ohio St he then had his team pose for a picture in front of the scoreboard. He then used the picture for a 1977 recruiting brochure. Ohio St won that game 47-7.

So why would he do something like this? To figure out, we must hear the entire story. Here it is.

The whole idea started in 1951 when Indiana beat Ohio St. Woody Hayes said
"that football team will never beat me again- ever"

before the kickoff of the 1976 game Corso ask Woody how he was doing and Woody just growls at him. Corso's response "What the hell are you mad at me for?I was 10 years old when those guys beat you" Woody throws his hat and laughs at Corso.

Ohio st gets a a pick 6 and misses the extra point and then Indiana drives down and scores to take the 7-6 lead.After the extra point Corso walks across the field
and tells the official " we quit" official says "what" ,Corso "we quit. We ain't playing no more" Official says " You can't do that" Corso ask "Why"? the official says "your going to get beat" Corso "We are going to get beat anyhow. I quit.We're not going to play anymore" the official says " You can't do that" Corso "OK Time Out"

Corso then had the team and the photographer hurry up run under the scoreboard and took a picture. The crowd mostly Ohio St fans are going crazy,
Woody throws hit hat at Corso and is yelling. The ref says to Corso "what the hell are you doing"? Corso says"You know what mister it's been 25 years since Indiana has been ahead of that S.O.B. , and I want a picture to prove I'm ahead of him"

After the game the photographer has the nerve to ask Coro " Lee do you want another picture"?

Corso is crazy, LOL!
google.gif

http://www.operationsports.com/forums/college-football/233063-funny-lee-corso-story.html

great guy and has made me laugh numerous times. hope he continues until he can't ..here"s to your health coach..may God give you the strength and wisdom to carry on

Reactions: Gonolz
Lee Corso came to Florida State from Miami in 1953
as one of the most highly recruited players in
Florida history. Four years later, he graduated
leaving a record for versatility rarely matched
in collegiate sports. He starred on both offense and defense
on the football field leading the Seminoles in interceptions
in 1954, rushing in 1955, and passing in 1956, He was the FSU
career interception leader with 14 until Deion Sanders tied him in the late 1980's. He was honorable mention All-America (Associated Press) as a
senior in 1956 and was selected to play in the Blue-Gray All-Star
game. Corso was also a fine outfielder on the Seminole baseball
team.

After graduation, Lee became an assistant football coach at
Florida State, Maryland and
Navy before becoming head coach at Louisville
and Indiana. He became a household name as an
ESPN analyst on the College Football Gameday television show.

FTFY Lute

Reactions: mthawkeyes
Few people probably remember that Corso coached at Indiana University back in the 70's. Here is a classic story from a game he had against Woody Hayes and the Buckeyes.

Funny Lee Corso Story
Bloomington,IN Ohio St @ Indiana 1976
In the 2qtr with 14:55 to go Lee Corso head coach of Indiana called time out.

Here is the funny part, after taking a 7-6 lead over Ohio St he then had his team pose for a picture in front of the scoreboard. He then used the picture for a 1977 recruiting brochure. Ohio St won that game 47-7.

So why would he do something like this? To figure out, we must hear the entire story. Here it is.

The whole idea started in 1951 when Indiana beat Ohio St. Woody Hayes said
"that football team will never beat me again- ever"

before the kickoff of the 1976 game Corso ask Woody how he was doing and Woody just growls at him. Corso's response "What the hell are you mad at me for?I was 10 years old when those guys beat you" Woody throws his hat and laughs at Corso.

Ohio st gets a a pick 6 and misses the extra point and then Indiana drives down and scores to take the 7-6 lead.After the extra point Corso walks across the field
and tells the official " we quit" official says "what" ,Corso "we quit. We ain't playing no more" Official says " You can't do that" Corso ask "Why"? the official says "your going to get beat" Corso "We are going to get beat anyhow. I quit.We're not going to play anymore" the official says " You can't do that" Corso "OK Time Out"

Corso then had the team and the photographer hurry up run under the scoreboard and took a picture. The crowd mostly Ohio St fans are going crazy,
Woody throws hit hat at Corso and is yelling. The ref says to Corso "what the hell are you doing"? Corso says"You know what mister it's been 25 years since Indiana has been ahead of that S.O.B. , and I want a picture to prove I'm ahead of him"

After the game the photographer has the nerve to ask Coro " Lee do you want another picture"?

Corso is crazy, LOL!
google.gif

http://www.operationsports.com/forums/college-football/233063-funny-lee-corso-story.html
I heard Corso tell a story on the old Fabulous Sports Babe show on ESPN radio, about recruiting.

After every season he would meet Woody Hayes at Woody's favorite diner. Hayes would give Corso a list of high school players Corso should recruit for Indiana. The players weren't Ohio State good, but they were good football players...good enough for Indiana. Those are the guys Corso recruited. I thought that was nuts when I heard him tell it.

He’s struggling horribly. The rest of the panel see it and tries to pull him along but it’s tougher to watch. Especially because I like Corso. Hard to watch him go right in front of us like that.

He’s struggling horribly. The rest of the panel see it and tries to pull him along but it’s tougher to watch. Especially because I like Corso. Hard to watch him go right in front of us like that.
They need to just bring him in for the picks/headgear if anything. I'll always think of him and Herbie when I wake up on Saturday mornings, but he's getting very hard to watch. It's becoming cringe material.

I would have guessed he’s in his mid 80s. Wiki says he’s 84 now, which makes sense to me. I was just a kid when he was at Indiana and I was still a teenager when he retired from coaching. Dude’s been around a long time.

I love him, but it's terrible watching him struggle like that. Gameday won't be the same without him, but I think it's time.

I love him, but it's terrible watching him struggle like that. Gameday won't be the same without him, but I think it's time.

For the most part, he is still entertaining. Nevertheless, I cringe at times when he has his senior moments, but his colleagues do a pretty good job of carrying him when it happens.

I thought McConaughey was going to injure him taking the tiger head off of him today.

At the age of 84, Lee Corso has a niche was his head
gear game pick. ESPN simply will employee him as
long as he lives. It is called ratings and Corso delivers
them.

That's cool and I did not know that and I used to live in Maryland Haha.
I don’t recall the player’s name. But I saw him on a documentary. His best friend was the only Jewish player on the Maryland team. As the story went, they were in a Department store and went to the lunch counter. The black player was extremely concerned and did not want to be there.

The man behind the counter came up to them and said, “We don’t serve colored people here.”

The Jewish player said, “Well that’s OK because we don’t eat ‘em.”

All hell broke loose after that.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
I don’t recall the player’s name. But I saw him on a documentary. His best friend was the only Jewish player on the Maryland team. As the story went, they were in a Department store and went to the lunch counter. The black player was extremely concerned and did not want to be there

The man behind the counter came up to them and said, “We don’t serve colored people here.”

The Jewish player said, “Well that’s OK because we don’t eat ‘em.”

All hell broke loose after that.

This is why I like Hayden Fry also. He integrated teams too.

Reactions: Herkmeister
This is why I like Hayden Fry also. He integrated teams too.
Agreed. We’ll have to share some stories when we meet.

I saw a documentary with Jerry LeVias. I was saddened to learn his experiences at SMU had scared him. I hold him in high esteem as I hold Hayden.

Reactions: GOHOX69
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT