ADVERTISEMENT

Lee vs Ayala

HawkMachine

HB Heisman
Jul 6, 2020
IOWA
So I was at the huge tournament at Benton Community on Saturday as my boy was wrestling.

We were talking about Ayala and he thought him and Lee would be a good match.

I told him that Lee would handle him easily. He thought I was crazy.

What say you Hawkeye fans?

Not for nothing, but I am pretty certain that right now. No one can give Lee a match! I believe his toughest competition would have come from the Ivy Leagues. With them out, he may very well Tech or pin his way through, and I am not certain he wouldn't have anyway.

Reactions: DirkTang1
Ok I like Ayala, he has some great skills a good motor and he seems to be stronger then the eye test. I also do believe he becomes a great Hawkeye. That said, there are about 3-4 maybe 5 guys in the US at 125/57kg that can give Spencer a “good match” currently and Ayala is not one of them yet. Check the last two tournaments SL wrestled in for details.

Lee is a once in a generation wrestler. Glad we have him for 2 more years. Maybe after a couple years in the room with SL Ayala will narrow the gap. But its not a gap now. Its a canyon

Motherf*ckin’ canyon so wide, Evil Knievel couldn’t jump it. This is not a slight on Ayala at all either but just speaks to how good Lee is.

Not for nothing, but I am pretty certain that right now. No one can give Lee a match! I believe his toughest competition would have come from the Ivy Leagues. With them out, he may very well Tech or pin his way through, and I am not certain he wouldn't have anyway.

If Fix or Suriano got down to 125, it would be a match. Spencer still wins, but it is a match.

It’s almost like saying yea that Sadulaev is pretty good but we got this guy named Bo Nickal coming in that’s a top prospect
F’in Nickal. Hes the 1 guy I was hoping that someone would of dropped him after a match. Would of loved to of seen it.
tenor.gif

F’in Nickal. Hes the 1 guy I was hoping that someone would of dropped him after a match. Would of loved to of seen it.
tenor.gif
Just tried to pick an upper weight not named Kyle Snyder that had NCAA success in recent memory. That’s who I came up with.

I was there also was a fun and day of some really good wrestling. While Ayala is on a different level than any Iowa high school wrestler he is Not Spencer or in his league yet. Do I think he has potential to be a Great Hawkeye, Yes I do!!! But Spencer is one of those kids that is a generational talent. That's not a slam on Ayala or anybody else its just a fact. Spencer could easily end up on a Mt. Rushmore of wrestling when his career is over can you say that about Ayala yet????? With that being said I do believe Ayala is the type of wrestler that can win 2 or 3 National titles just not like Spencer can and there is nothing wrong with that.

I might add his little brother impressed me as well he was the 8 seed at a tournament with 7 ranked wrestlers from all 3 classes and he came home 3rd. 106 lber what Waukee is someone to keep your eye on as well he won it from the 3 seed and took out #1 in 2A easily. Just don't know if he will get big enough for the next level.

Also how does West Del. have 29 JV kids on their team?????

I was there also was a fun and day of some really good wrestling. While Ayala is on a different level than any Iowa high school wrestler he is Not Spencer or in his league yet. Do I think he has potential to be a Great Hawkeye, Yes I do!!! But Spencer is one of those kids that is a generational talent. That's not a slam on Ayala or anybody else its just a fact. Spencer could easily end up on a Mt. Rushmore of wrestling when his career is over can you say that about Ayala yet????? With that being said I do believe Ayala is the type of wrestler that can win 2 or 3 National titles just not like Spencer can and there is nothing wrong with that.

I might add his little brother impressed me as well he was the 8 seed at a tournament with 7 ranked wrestlers from all 3 classes and he came home 3rd. 106 lber what Waukee is someone to keep your eye on as well he won it from the 3 seed and took out #1 in 2A easily. Just don't know if he will get big enough for the next level.

The Waukee kid a freshman? How would one know now that he won't be big enough in 4+ years?

29 JV means 44 on the roster. Doesn't seem crazy for a good sized school in a wrestling town. There are smaller schools out there with rosters just as big or bigger.

Last edited:
Isn't his little bro a freshman? How would one know now that he won't be big enough in 4+ years?

29 JV means 44 on the roster. Doesn't seem crazy for a good sized school in a wrestling town. There are smaller schools out there with rosters just as big or bigger.
He's not talking about his brother being too small.

If you're implying that Freeman will be too small you're dead wrong. I'm fairly certain he's coming down from 116-118 and he's 15 years old. I could easily see him go 106, 120, 132, 138 in HS. Having said that I think the lightest he'll be in college is a 141. And yes, he's head and shoulders above all the other freshman in Iowa this year. He'll pin or tech everyone with the exception of Kurtz from IC High and that's at least a major more than likely more than that.

Reactions: TJHall1
The Waukee kid a freshman? How would one know now that he won't be big enough in 4+ years?

Does this take into account female wrestlers? Lots of girls giving it a shot lately. Either way that is an impressive number for a school of that size. Good news for the sport.

To put things in perspective....

This would be similar to a match between Batman and Robin. They’re both good guys, but sheesh....

Reactions: TJHall1
I think Ayala could be a NCAA Champ at some point but even take his best of that year and Spencer still likely majors him. Spencer is good enough to pin or bonus other past NCAA champs and future 125 champs after him once they hit Freestyle.

But right now. I wouldn't wish that on any HS kid. I mean Ayala would have problems staying off his back or ever escaping Cory Clark..let alone Spencer.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT