ADVERTISEMENT

Lee vs Tomasello

I am a big wrestling fan but didn’t wrestle competitively at a high level. Can you help explain a typical hydration/nutrition routine and why this may have made Spencer looked gassed late in his Ok. State match?

Much appreciated.
Eat or drink too much OR not eat or drink the right things.

Happened to me my junior year at state(s). That mushroom omelette crushed me in the second period and I was done. I had never experienced that before and unfortunately it happened on the big stage.
Is this easy to turn around quickly and is it possible he looks like a completely different wrestler in the 3rd period against tOSU this week?

I have no clue but I would guess Lee's conditioning issue was more nervous energy considering he was walking out for the first time in front of 14,000 at Carver in a match against a good opponent. I can only imagine how psyched up he was. I'd think someone with Lee's experience knows how to eat before a one hour weigh in. The kid wrestled in hs and I believe under NHFS rules, everyone has one hour weigh ins.

Reactions: HKI
I have no clue but I would guess Lee's conditioning issue was more nervous energy considering he was walking out for the first time in front of 14,000 at Carver in a match against a good opponent. I can only imagine how psyched up he was. I'd think someone with Lee's experience knows how to eat before a one hour weigh in. The kid wrestled in hs and I believe under NHFS rules, everyone has one hour weigh ins.

Pretty sure Brands mentioned post meet that Spencer has to do a better job with his weight and the one hour weigh in.

Reactions: HKI and Dagboi
I'm going with Lee. I sensed the coaches - and Lee himself - will get a handle on the nutrition aspect. Lee seems very focused and driven and someone who learns quickly from his mistakes (i.e. nutrition). I'm just going with my gut on this one. I think Lee pulls off the big win. Tomasello is built like a tank ... Will be a fun match to watch ... Iowa needs this win to have a chance ... I like how Iowa is wrestling ...

Reactions: HKI and TarpHawk
NATO is a better match up for Lee then Bresser and Picc. Those two have a lot of speed, wrestle from space, low ankle, scrambling ability. NATO will move forward and bang. That's what Lee wants. I think this match will be decided on the mat.

Please tell me FLO that Spencer Lee doesn't have a chance against NATO---cuz you clowns can't pick a match to save your "bass". Spencer Lee will win this match up because of the guys in his corner. NATO has always struggled against the Hawkeyes in big matches and this will be no different. But honestly, I'd be very surprised if the match even materializes. It's Tom Ryan. If it does, I believe Spencer Lee wins 7-3.
FWIW, Nato is 3-3 vs Hawkeyes (1-2 vs Gilman, 1-0 vs Laux, and 1-1 vs Clark), it's just the LAST match between both Gilman and Clark he's lost. It's a what-have-you-done-for-me-lately situation...

https://www.wrestlestat.com/wrestler/14674/tomasello-nathan/profile

Reactions: moug and HKI
Never a wrestler here either, but do teams 'practice' weigh-ins? I would assume they would treat a wrestle off like a real meet (dual), but other than that? I know it varies for each person, but what type of spread is there on a wrestlers walking around weight on say a Monday or Tuesday in between Sunday-Sunday duals? Is it better to stay close to weight the whole time, or have a couple pounds to shed right before the meet?

Thanks in advance for the insight!

Tomato has lost twice? in the last 2 years. Both times to Hawks with huuuuuuuge lungs. If Spencer is fighting conditioning issues, that's not a good recipe against Tomato

Reactions: HKI and Gobblin
Personally, I think Lee is having a bit of trouble adjusting to going against the bigger, stronger 125 pounders he's seeing and that's part of why he's fading a bit in matches. He's Sadly, I think NATO takes this one.

It's gonna come down to whose tank is bigger. At this point, we haven't seen enough of either one to make a determination. Therefore, toss up. How's that for sittin' on the fence?
Tomasello has a big tank if memory serves me , my memory isn't always accurate though. Lol

NATO is a better match up for Lee then Bresser and Picc. Those two have a lot of speed, wrestle from space, low ankle, scrambling ability. NATO will move forward and bang. That's what Lee wants. I think this match will be decided on the mat.
Just noticed too that Bresser only lost 2-1 to both Fix and Surreano. Kid is no pushover. Lee will figure this out.

Lee will be fine. Little guy has never had too much muscle before. Maybe 2019 and beyond: 125 is JStick, 133 Spencer Lee.

Huh?

We need elite recruits if we are ever going to sniff a national championship again. If Spencer moves up, I’m hoping for at least a top 15- 20 pfp to replace him.

Don’t you see all the holes in this years line up? Look at the rankings coming out of hs for the guys currently manning those spots.

I gotta go with NaTo the way that Lee gassed this past match. If Lee can fix his weight/nutrition issue he has a good shot.

I'm glad you mentioned the part about being gassed. I wasn't sure if he was gassed or if Picc tore up his knee (he had it twisted pretty bad once), but either way, for some reason Lee just went with the flow the last 3 or 4 mins. I hope it's that he was gassed and not that it was his knee. When he came back out of the tunnel after the match it looked like he was favoring the knee a bit.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, however, sure Spencer doesnt think wrestling in Columbus is going to be different than any of the wrestling venues he has already been successful in. btw, Spencer’s gas tank will be just fine. His conditioning was not the issue on Sunday.

Brother: Thanks to KwoodHawk, I had a kick ass seat at the event, and from my seat in the third row, it was either his gas tank or his knee (Picc really torqued it pretty hard once). So if his conditioning was not the issue, what was the issue; he did nothing but defend for the last 3 minutes. I'm curious as to what you know that I didn't see first up close and in person. Thanks for giving me the scoop because I was curious myself. :)

I'm still really nervous about him being 100%. I will probably get killed for this here, but I would rather he get a little more seasoned, get fitter, get that knee stronger, and see Tomasello at B1Gs.

I was thinking the same thing after I saw Picc torque Lee's knee during the match on Sunday...scared the hell out of me. And after the knee torquing Lee did nothing offensive the rest of the match, which led me to believe his knee was giving him problems. Hope I'm wrong!! :(

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
Personally, I think Lee is having a bit of trouble adjusting to going against the bigger, stronger 125 pounders he's seeing and that's part of why he's fading a bit in matches. He's Sadly, I think NATO takes this one.

Please educate me because I don't see much other than what's available on Flo, B10, etc.. Who are the bigger, stronger, 125 pounders he's having having trouble adjusting to? His only loss is to Bresser and that was purely based on a great game plan on Bresser's part (avoid Lee for 6:00 and take a shot at the end).

Reactions: Dagboi
Never a wrestler here either, but do teams 'practice' weigh-ins? I would assume they would treat a wrestle off like a real meet (dual), but other than that? I know it varies for each person, but what type of spread is there on a wrestlers walking around weight on say a Monday or Tuesday in between Sunday-Sunday duals? Is it better to stay close to weight the whole time, or have a couple pounds to shed right before the meet?

Thanks in advance for the insight!

Back in 1930s when I wrestled high school (well....not THAT long ago! was 1970s), our coaches didn't closely monitor our weight during the week, though they had a general idea. Later, in the 90s when I volunteer coached, wrestlers had to weigh in on a regular basis after practice, and us coaches wrote it down - I'm sure that is common practice nowdays, especially at college level. Good wrestlers at hs and college level know what they're burn in a practice or overnight, so it's pretty calculated - some stay close to weight the whole time, others make hard cuts the day before/day of.

Reactions: just_somebody
Picc is not a small and for what I’m told is very strong for a 25lber by comparison if you take the first period only. I think Lee has what it takes to match NATO`S strength I hope he has the gas tank also. I think Picc/NATO would be a lot closer match then Lee/Picc.

Reactions: Dagboi
I was starting to think I was the only one to notice him favoring the knee after fighting the takedown in the second period. I think nerves got him too, and maybe nutrition/ bad eating habits, but I think he tweaked the knee a bit. Hopefully just a temporary twinge, not a reinjury. That said, I think he can take NATO if he's healthy, but if they are going to be close, and they split matches this year, I hope he wins the last one.

Although I'm not convinced we will win this tilt with tOSU, nor am I even convinced that we MUST win the meet, it would surely send a message if we did. But, to even think about beating this solid Buckeye team, we have to have Lee sting Nato, then Sorenson, Kemdog and the Bull hold serve and even get some bonus pts, and the unveiling of PDIII to take out a talented (but beatable, as Sammy Brooks demonstrated) Miles Martin. If we win these 5 matches, and somehow outscore the Bucks on bonus, I see a reasonable chance. Or...is that all just crazy talk?

If I was coaching Iowa, I would be going into this meet believing that we can win it. I'm sure Coach Brands is thinking the same thing. It is why they wrestle it.

Although I'm not convinced we will win this tilt with tOSU, nor am I even convinced that we MUST win the meet, it would surely send a message if we did. But, to even think about beating this solid Buckeye team, we have to have Lee sting Nato, then Sorenson, Kemdog and the Bull hold serve and even get some bonus pts, and the unveiling of PDIII to take out a talented (but beatable, as Sammy Brooks demonstrated) Miles Martin. If we win these 5 matches, and somehow outscore the Bucks on bonus, I see a reasonable chance. Or...is that all just crazy talk?
Thats generally how I feel about the dual as well. My gut reaction to how it plays out would be something like this, and I would be giving us 125 and 184 in this scenario and its perfectly reasonable for anybody to favor tOSU at these two weights.
Lee DEC Tomasello 3-0 Iowa
Pletcher DEC Laux/Glynn 3-3 TIE
McKenna DEC Turk/Happel 3-6 tOSU
Sorensen DEC Hayes 6-6 TIE
Kemerer DEC Jordan 9-6 Iowa
Marinelli DEC Campbell 12-6 Iowa
Jordan DEC Gunther 12-9 Iowa
PDIII DEC Martin 15-9 Iowa
Moore DEC Wilcke 15-12 Iowa
Snyder MDEC Stoll 15-16 tOSU

Our only chance for bonus is at 149/157/165. I could honestly see it happening in any of those matches, or if Downey gets a freak pin by launching Martin. But I'm sure they will be on point at home and give solid matches, but if Kem and Sorensen are on their A game, they can both put woopings on Hayes and Jordan. I want to say Stoll could hold it to a DEC, but Snyder is just so freakin good. If Derek White can get in on a shot on Stoll, you can bet your bottom dollar Snyder will be able to. His best chance is to work his upper body ties hard and try to catch him in a sprawl or front headlock to slow the match down and wear him out a bit with size and maybe keep it to a 5-7 pt dec. I love Stoll, but he's got a very tall task against the Olympic champ, and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little worried about the knee in this matchup.

So the keys to winning the dual are 125 and 184 for us. Plus holding serve at 149-165 (with bonus needed in at least 1 match). Plus the other 5 weights to all avoid getting bonused. Easy enough :) Go Hawks!

Reactions: andegre
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT