ADVERTISEMENT

Lee

Thinking the "proper strategy" for Lee when he is wrestling the best competition who are very good on top, like Glory or Mueller would be for Lee to choose top at the start of the 2nd period. Don't choose down and give them a chance at riding him for 2 minutes or give up a cradle for a potential "accident". Choose top and keep getting tilts on them until he TF's them. Wear them out from top.

4 points for NF is much easier for him than a 1 point escape and 2 TD against the top guys.

Of course this "strategy" only works if Lee hasn't already TF them before the end of the 1st period...........but you already knew that............
images

Thinking the "proper strategy" for Lee when he is wrestling the best competition who are very good on top, like Glory or Mueller would be for Lee to choose top at the start of the 2nd period. Don't choose down and give them a chance at riding him for 2 minutes or give up a cradle for a potential "accident". Choose top and keep getting tilts on them until he TF's them. Wear them out from top.

4 points for NF is much easier for him than a 1 point escape and 2 TD against the top guys.

Of course this "strategy" only works if Lee hasn't already TF them before the end of the 1st period...........but you already knew that............
images

Agree 100% with this strategy.

Lee stuck Nato in the semis at nationals. Not worried at all about his ability to get a fall.

I think during the regular season,against top competitors, he chooses down to see if he can have success before the tournaments, if needed down the road. I dont remember him choosing top but does do neutral sometimes when leading in year end tournaments. Depends on opponent, he had 4 point lead on NATO at Nattys and chose down, because he knew NATO was going to release him for an extra point as NATO was best from neutral, not top.

That announcer with Gadsen at ISU was a hoot. Talking up Mackall how he is not wrestling afraid, well no you fool, he just got teched 17-2 so he isn't wrestling at all.

Reactions: Kwoodhawk
I think during the regular season,against top competitors, he chooses down to see if he can have success before the tournaments, if needed down the road. I dont remember him choosing top but does do neutral sometimes when leading in year end tournaments. Depends on opponent, he had 4 point lead on NATO at Nattys and chose down, because he knew NATO was going to release him for an extra point as NATO was best from neutral, not top.

He had a nice lead against Mueller and two minutes of riding time, chose bottom, and got cradled and lost all his RT. It all worked out, but I think if he had picked neutral it would have been easier. Picking bottom was the only way he could have lost.

Honestly, leg riders have such a huge advantage, and the officials call stalling so freely on the bottom man, I wound never put any wrestler underneath a leg rider.

images
I think there is a lot of poor strategy in wrestling in terms of scoring. So many times it seems like people are reluctant to give up the opportunity to escape. Escaping is generally the easiest point to score, however it's only worth one point. I don't think a lot of wrestlers or coaches think about opportunity cost. If you're good from your feet or on top you are losing some amount of time to score when you take bottom. Also this works the other way by Lee taking top against a guy good in neutral or top his opponent is losing an opportunity to score.
Another situation I often see is a guy trailing and behind on riding time in the top position will ride a guy to get the riding time under a minute. I understand that you want to eliminate riding time but you are going to need to score more points anyways. So you don't really need to take the riding time all the way under a minute. And the longer time you spend working on eliminating riding time the less time you have to score take downs. In general I think guys should their best position more. Obviously there are opponents and situations where you may have to adjust.

ADVERTISEMENT