ADVERTISEMENT

Leg Pass a problem in Folkstyle?

akaoni

HR All-State
Jan 10, 2013
Iowa City, IA
Over the past few years I feel like we've seen a proliferation of knee injuries and I wonder if leg-pass scrambles aren't in part responsible. You see people's knees get wrenched around in all sorts of nasty ways, and while it's a small sample size, the number of knee injuries amongst our Hawkeye wrestlers has been disturbing.

It's one of the things which has made me appreciate Freestyle more and more in recent years. A lot of these scrambles just can't happen because they would result in exposure. Thoughts?

Over the past few years I feel like we've seen a proliferation of knee injuries and I wonder if leg-pass scrambles aren't in part responsible. You see people's knees get wrenched around in all sorts of nasty ways, and while it's a small sample size, the number of knee injuries amongst our Hawkeye wrestlers has been disturbing.

It's one of the things which has made me appreciate Freestyle more and more in recent years. A lot of these scrambles just can't happen because they would result in exposure. Thoughts?
Without giving it too much thought, I think I wish there were some kind of scoring for exposures but without the transition into par terre.

The injuries seem so secretive - hard to tell what caused the knee injuries - what positions that is.

Yes.

Reactions: burk11

Maybe.

Perhaps.

when delgado started this crap, i said it was going to hurt guys knees and ankles, so i say yes.

YES, and they need to address it with a new rule. The defensive wrestler who initiates the scramble gets hit for a stall call if it goes to a stalemate and no one scores. This way you can still scramble, but you better be doing it to create action and score points, not to just play defense!

Reactions: DirkTang1
Apparently breathing was a major cause of injury in the Iowa room this year.

What’s the difference between leg pass and sprawling? They’re both defenses to a shot; should we start singing a guy with a stall call if he sprawls and it goes to a stalemate? I’m not a huge fan of leg passes but it’s a legit defense to a shot and I think we go down a slippery slope when we want to change the rules just cause we don’t like it. Guys doing these moves know the risk of the injury and if they think the risk is worth it then I’m ok with it.

Reactions: el dub
What’s the difference between leg pass and sprawling? They’re both defenses to a shot; should we start singing a guy with a stall call if he sprawls and it goes to a stalemate? I’m not a huge fan of leg passes but it’s a legit defense to a shot and I think we go down a slippery slope when we want to change the rules just cause we don’t like it. Guys doing these moves know the risk of the injury and if they think the risk is worth it then I’m ok with it.
Then potentially dangerous needs to be called a lot quicker. If a guy is consistently sprawling or leg passing he's not doing too much shooting, so he wouldn't be on the offense and should be called for stalling.

Could be part of me just getting older, but I had never had knee problems in my life and have had significant knee injuries twice in the last 4 years (different knees) while coaching our HS team. One was a torn MCL and other was a severely torn meniscus. Both definitely happened when trying to defend a leg pass. Needless to say I let them take my ankle wherever the hell they want now and don't defend it. So to answer the OP's question IMO, yes, it'll lead to more knee injuries.

i do not believe you are thinking this through. Sprawling on a shot rarely leads to a stalemate. Maybe DeSanto against RBY, but few other cases. The diving on an ankle seems to lead to more stalemates then points scored. Wrestlers are suppose to look to create action and score. If a defensive wrestler believes it is his best option to create a scramble, so be it. He just needs to turn it into a scoring opportunity and not just hold on to stop action.

Reactions: T8KUDWN
ADVERTISEMENT