ADVERTISEMENT

Leistikow: "It's time to Quiet the 'Kris should be starting' takes."

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
Several "experts" on here, for most of the season, have been saying Kris should be starting over PMac and that Fran doesn't know what he's doing when it comes to minutes distribution.

Well, turns out, it is Fran who knows what he's doing and talking about and not the "experts" on here.

Weird (and shocking), I know.

Here's what Chad wrote and what Kris thinks on this topic:

And it's time to quiet the “Kris should be starting” takes. His role as Iowa’s sharpshooting, rebounding, defending sixth man gives the Hawkeyes scoring weapons in waves. And Kris enjoys the low-pressure role — similar to what his brother did last year while yielding to Garza and Joe Wieskamp. Most nights, he still gets starter-level minutes.

“I like it, just because it helps us keep the same intensity as the first group,” Kris Murray said. “And there’s no let-up at all from the first group to the second group.”

Get these Hawkeyes to the Big Dance the way they’re playing now, and they could do a lot of damage. Like they did in leading a traditional conference power by as many as 32 points in Tuesday's beatdown.

“We knew if there’s a wounded animal, keep the wounded animal down," Keegan Murray said. "That’s what we did in the second half."

The full column is here:

Several "experts" on here, for most of the season, have been saying Kris should be starting over PMac and that Fran doesn't know what he's doing when it comes to minutes distribution.

Well, turns out, it is Fran who knows what he's doing and talking about and not the "experts" on here.

And it's time to quiet the “Kris should be starting” takes. His role as Iowa’s sharpshooting, rebounding, defending sixth man gives the Hawkeyes scoring weapons in waves. And Kris enjoys the low-pressure role — similar to what his brother did last year while yielding to Garza and Joe Wieskamp. Most nights, he still gets starter-level minutes.

“I like it, just because it helps us keep the same intensity as the first group,” Kris Murray said. “And there’s no let-up at all from the first group to the second group.”

Get these Hawkeyes to the Big Dance the way they’re playing now, and they could do a lot of damage. Like they did in leading a traditional conference power by as many as 32 points in Tuesday's beatdown.

“We knew if there’s a wounded animal, keep the wounded animal down," Keegan Murray said. "That’s what we did in the second half."

The full column is here:

3 of the 5 wins are vs 3 lowest teams in standings!!

Who cares what that tool says? I assume another Iowa media member that goes through many pairs of knee pads.

I'm sure Kris enjoys 6th man vs starting lmao. So is he saying pat can't give us what Kris does and is starting cuz he's worse?

Would you expect Kris to say anything differently in public? I’m not saying he does or doesn’t feel that way, but I would take it with a grain of salt.
People are so ignorant when it comes to public speaking.

I'm sure cmac got in some shit for bad mouthing refs, imagine bad mouthing your coach and his kid lol

The full column is here:

I think you hit the nail on the head earlier when you pointed out the change has coincided with JBo returning to the point. Fran deserves a lot of credit for making that change. I have no idea why it’s working so well, as it’s not liking JBo is racking up the assists in the boxscore every night, but it’s definitely working. What I do know is JBo at the 2 wasn’t. And that’s where I thought Kris might be able to start at, to create a lot of matchup nightmares. But if Kris is more comfortable coming off the bench, cool. I sometimes wonder if Perkins would rather come off the bench too.

But, for now, to quote Charles Oakley, “If it ain’t broken, don’t break it.”

Doesn’t matter who the coach starts, the moment you lose a game, everyone becomes an expert. I remember people getting on George Raveling’s case for not starting Moe over Jones (I think)! When asked about it during a post game press conference, Raveling said, how do you guys know what Moe gives me coming off the bench vs starting? What do you know about the chemistry of the team in different rotations? What do you know about the strengths and weaknesses of each player? (I’m paraphrasing, of course). A lot of experts here wanted Perkins to start … it seems like he was more effective and flashy coming in as a sub because the opposing teams weren’t focusing on him as much. I love the kid, btw. He’s going to be great for us.

I think you hit the nail on the head earlier when you pointed out the change has coincided with JBo returning to the point. Fran deserves a lot of credit for making that change. I have no idea why it’s working so well, as it’s not liking JBo is racking up the assists in the boxscore every night, but it’s definitely working. What I do know is JBo at the 2 wasn’t. And that’s where I thought Kris might be able to start at, to create a lot of matchup nightmares. But if Kris is more comfortable coming off the bench, cool. I sometimes wonder if Perkins would rather come off the bench too.

But, for now, to quote Charles Oakley, “If it ain’t broken, don’t break it.”
Ill wait til we play il and mi to see if it's more than coincidence. Other than OSU we've best some bad teams and a pretty avg MSU team.

I'd agree with Perkins, not sure how he moved to starter after his play regressed...

Reactions: Chicagoherky71
Ill wait til we play il and mi to see if it's more than coincidence. Other than OSU we've best some bad teams and a pretty avg MSU team.

I'd agree with Perkins, not sure how he moved to starter after his play regressed...
I think five games is a decent sample size. Yeah, I wish we had the second coming of Lester or Armstrong or Woolridge or Oliver at the point, but it’s the best Fran has to work with. I personally think Joe T has been mismanaged a lot and given too short a leash, which has probably contributed to his erratic play at times, but the bottom line is this Iowa team is overachieving this year.

As many know on here, I’m not a big Fran supporter, but I’ll give credit where it’s due. This year might be his best coaching job since he arrived in Iowa City. Like you said, we’ll see how the rest of the season plays out, but this team has already exceeded expectations.

I think five games is a decent sample size. Yeah, I wish we had the second coming of Lester or Armstrong or Woolridge or Oliver at the point, but it’s the best Fran has to work with. I personally think Joe T has been mismanaged a lot and given too short a leash, which has probably contributed to his erratic play at times, but the bottom line is this Iowa team is overachieving this year.

As many know on here, I’m not a big Fran supporter, but I’ll give credit where it’s due. This year might be his best coaching job since he arrived in Iowa City. Like you said, we’ll see how the rest of the season plays out, but this team has already exceeded expectations.
I still think the refs screwed vs pu il and ru.

Fran might have a 20 year extension if not!! lol

I'd love to finish 3-1. Might start setting myself up for heart break though lol

Reactions: BlackNGoldBleeder
I don't know all these people get so wound up about starting and minutes. Instead of being so critical maybe everyone should be happy that Fran has a team with several options that he can pick from to get us in the right match ups when it counts. Obviously Keegan is the alpha and thr good thing is that it seems everyone knows that and of supportive of that, and that is huge. The game is like a chess match and what matters is who is playing in winning time. Keegan obviously. Love it or hate it (I love it) Jbo with is experience, knowledge of the offense, court stretching shooting and FT shooting are the 2 most unique players on the team. Kris as he has developed over the course of the season (he is not the same Kris from the beginning of the season) is certainly a unique piece with his shooting and length, and really PMac is too. Joe T and Perkins play with a lot of intensity and energy and sometimes that is huge when we need to go to the press (like Purdue first game). Throw Ulis in there too. CMac has a role, again from the part that he can run the point and defend 3-4 positions.

This is the most versatility we have seen in a Fran team and Fran is building riles around one of the best players, and maybe the best, that he has had. This team is peaking at the right time.

I will just end it with this then. If any of you think you know more than Fran you are a fool, because you don't.

The team has been on a roll and I credit Fran and the players for what I think was the best coached and played game of the year against OSU. This was followed by another stellar effort against MSU that included 40 minutes of really good defense and crisp offense. I thought the team would fold after the Michigan loss and that it may have cost them the tourney. Clearly I was wrong.

I think way too much is being made of the startinglineup change, but will give Fran a lot of credit for what appears to be a fundamental change in the half court offense. There is more focus on ball movement and dribble penetration and the trio of Joe T., Ulis and Perkins are junk yard dogs on defense. None of these guys can throw it in the ocean from 3, but that's ok because we have others who can. All 3 are solid FT shooters and give the team opportunities to score outside of Keegan.

Pmac and Kris are very similar players with Kris having an edge athletically. I don't care who starts and commend Fran for being willing to allocate PT based on who has the hot hand. My biggest disappointment up until a couple weeks ago was that I expected to see the improved athleticism have a bigger impact and it hadn't. The last 5-7 games Iowa has been the aggressor and posed match up problems for opponents. Help defense is much better as evidence by fewer instances of blown assignments with two guys looking at each other thinking it was the other's miss.

Leistikow is no "expert" either.
But he is around the team a lot and Kris himself said in the article how much he enjoys the sixth man role.

Except Kris is the one commenting…..

@hawkland14 and @TheTruthTheWholeTruth nailed it. @nu2u nails nothing on a regular basis, and all females in his orbit are just fine with this.

As hawkland14 mentioned, Leistikow is around the team and the coaches all season long. This access obviously allows him to get a feel for how the players are feeling. The "experts" on here have none of this type of access; they just sit their fat asses on their couch and sadly and pathetically bitch about everything.

We have just 4 players averaging double digit scoring.

Our 4 leading scorers:

ppg
23.5......Keegan....(31 min/game)
10.8.... PMac......(25 min/game)
10.7......JBo...........(26 min/game)
10.1.....Kris.........(18 min/game)

And our 5th leading scorer? Filip, at 6.2 ppg (and 22 min/game).

Would you expect Kris to say anything differently in public? I’m not saying he does or doesn’t feel that way, but I would take it with a grain of salt.

Well, your hatred of anything Fran is quite clear and you have been calling for Fran to be fired all season long so I think we should take your comments with a grain of salt as well.

Did you even read the article? The players have bought in and are happy. And you know why? Because things are clicking and they are winning.

And maybe their dad, @PHawkKenyon , can add to the discussion and tell you whether he is pleased or displeased in how Fran has brought his 2 sons along over last season and this season. He's too nice but quietly he probably is thinking where you can put your grain of salt.

the bottom line is this Iowa team is overachieving this year.

I agree with you in the "overachieving this year" statement. We were picked 9th or 10th in the B1G. We are now 6th in the B1G and #25 in the AP poll. And I would argue that the results we are seeing right now is because Fran is pushing the right buttons and is coaching quite well.

We have a real shot at 22-9, 12-8; no one preseason predicted that.

You aren't going to convince me that Kris Murray would prefer to be a substitute rather than a starter.

Wow. In the orig post, I quoted the words that came out of Kris' mouth. And you, one of the internet "experts," cannot accept what came out of Kris' mouth and imply that Kris was not telling the truth.

You should be embarrassed. I really do wish @PHawkKenyon would set posters like you straight.

3 of the 5 wins are vs 3 lowest teams in standings!!

Who cares what that tool says? I assume another Iowa media member that goes through many pairs of knee pads.

I'm sure Kris enjoys 6th man vs starting lmao. So is he saying pat can't give us what Kris does and is starting cuz he's worse?
you are a sad miserable person. Too bad about your head injury

Well, your hatred of anything Fran is quite clear and you have been calling for Fran to be fired all season long so I think we should take your comments with a grain of salt as well.

Did you even read the article? The players have bought in and are happy. And you know why? Because things are clicking and they are winning.

And maybe their dad, @PHawkKenyon , can add to the discussion and tell you whether he is pleased or displeased in how Fran has brought his 2 sons along over last season and this season. He's too nice but quietly he probably is thinking where you can put your grain of salt.
I have never stated I hate Fran or that he should be fired after this season. Do I think Fran mismanaged the roster last year and most of this year? Yes. Am I ready for new blood in the program? Yes. Do I believe it’s feasible to “fire Fran” after arguably his best coaching job this year? Duh.

You take yourself way too seriously and frankly are far worse than Chis. And no, Kenyon probably doesn’t want to white knight for you. You should stop tagging him.

Our 4 leading scorers:

ppg
23.5......Keegan....(31 min/game)
10.8.... PMac......(25 min/game)
10.7......JBo...........(26 min/game)
10.1.....Kris.........(18 min/game)

And our 5th leading scorer? Filip, at 6.2 ppg (and 22 min/game).
You've posted this as evidence that Kris shouldn't be starting? Personally, I think it does the opposite. It argues for him starting and playing 25 min/game barring foul issues.

He's our second best scorer on offense and the 2nd or 3rd best defender behind Keegan and maybe Joe.

I'd love to see this lineup against teams with big centers:
Rebraca
Keegan
Kris
PMac
Joe T or JBo

This lineup against smaller teams:
Keegan
Kris
PMac
Joe T
JBo

Kris and PMac have shown good enough ball handing skills to help bring the ball up the court and they both play well on the perimeter.

nailed it.
Izzo thinks Fran could be Big Ten coach of year. Think about it He has done an incredible job. Rebuilt a team and we can play with anyone.
My opinion to the coming year. PMac is special talent. Most coaches discuss him and many announcers too. Serious skills If he can get 5-7% jump in strength and weight he could be the second coming of Sir Jamalot. Kris needs a small jump in strength and if can develope a right hand baby hook or right hand finish then we have Keegan 2.0
We finally have inner city toughness guards with Joe , Perkins and Tullis. Tougher than MSU guards! Love them.

Let’s enjoy this ride with a very very fun team. Future very bright too.

Reactions: KcTo and jimbob22
I have never stated that he should be fired after this season.

Wow. Now you have simply been caught in a lie.

On Dec 9, 2021, you posted those EXACT WORDS: "Fran needs to be fired after this season."

Everyone can see for themselves; this is what you posted on Dec 9, 2021:

Dec 9, 2021: Fran needs to be fired after this season.

Dec 9, 2021: Fran should have been fired after 2017.

• Haha
Reactions: PIEPI and mstp1992
ADVERTISEMENT