ADVERTISEMENT

Let’s start the list

Lumas Etima

HR MVP
Apr 1, 2003
Kirk Ferentz may not be leaving Iowa anytime soon, but every good AD ought to have a short list of targets in mind in the event of a coaching vacancy. With that in mind, I wanted to start a discussion of some of the potential candidates for the Iowa job, should it come open after this season.

(To be clear, I am not advocating for or against a change … I just think this could be an interesting discussion.)

The things I would want to see in a new head coach is someone with proven experience at the highest levels of college football, a strong coaching pedigree, and someone who would be a good cultural fit with the University of Iowa.

I’ll start the list off with a few of the folks I would want to talk to. Feel free to add others to the list.

Mark Stoops, Kentucky head coach. Age 55. Great track record at a school where it’s been difficult to win. Strong Iowa ties.

Bob Stoops, former Oklahoma coach. I don’t think this one is feasible, but it’s worth a conversation. His qualifications are obvious, but his hunger to take on a new program is in doubt. Also, at 62, he’s a bit older than the ideal candidate. (I would want to get at least 10 years out of our new hire.)

Bret Bielema, Illinois head coach. Age 52. Proven track record two different B1G schools. (And a disappointing few years at Arkansas.) Strong Iowa ties, with the tattoo to prove it. How would we feel about hiring from within the B1G?

Phil Parker, current Hawkeye DC. Parker would be the obvious inside hire, but the speculation has been that he has no interest in being a head coach. Also, at age 59, he’s older than the ideal candidate.

Lavar Woods, current Hawkeye special teams coordinator. Age 44. I’m not sure Woods’ current role makes him qualified for a Power 5 head coaching job, but if you are going to hire from within, he might be the most logical choice. His special teams have been outstanding.

Jim Leonhard, current Wisconsin interim head coach. Age 39. He’s probably on the inside track for the Wisconsin job, but you never know …

Lance Leipold, current Kansas head coach. He’s quickly turned Kansas around, after having previously been successful at Buffalo. He could also be a candidate at Wisconsin or Nebraska. (Wisconsin native). Age 58 — a little older than the ideal.

Jay Norvell, current Colorado State head coach. A little rocky in his first year at CSU, but he did well previously at Nevada. The former Hawkeye player has obvious Iowa ties. At age 59, he’s also older than the ideal candidate.

These are just a few names off the top of my head. Who else should be on the list?

Reactions: dean_oliver222
Kirk Ferentz may not be leaving Iowa anytime soon, but every good AD ought to have a short list of targets in mind in the event of a coaching vacancy. With that in mind, I wanted to start a discussion of some of the potential candidates for the Iowa job, should it come open after this season.

(To be clear, I am not advocating for or against a change … I just think this could be an interesting discussion.)

The things I would want to see in a new head coach is someone with proven experience at the highest levels of college football, a strong coaching pedigree, and someone who would be a good cultural fit with the University of Iowa.

I’ll start the list off with a few of the folks I would want to talk to. Feel free to add others to the list.

Mark Stoops, Kentucky head coach. Age 55. Great track record at a school where it’s been difficult to win. Strong Iowa ties.

Bob Stoops, former Oklahoma coach. I don’t think this one is feasible, but it’s worth a conversation. His qualifications are obvious, but his hunger to take on a new program is in doubt. Also, at 62, he’s a bit older than the ideal candidate. (I would want to get at least 10 years out of our new hire.)

Bret Bielema, Illinois head coach. Age 52. Proven track record two different B1G schools. (And a disappointing few years at Arkansas.) Strong Iowa ties, with the tattoo to prove it. How would we feel about hiring from within the B1G?

Phil Parker, current Hawkeye DC. Parker would be the obvious inside hire, but the speculation has been that he has no interest in being a head coach. Also, at age 59, he’s older than the ideal candidate.

Lavar Woods, current Hawkeye special teams coordinator. Age 44. I’m not sure Woods’ current role makes him qualified for a Power 5 head coaching job, but if you are going to hire from within, he might be the most logical choice. His special teams have been outstanding.

Jim Leonhard, current Wisconsin interim head coach. Age 39. He’s probably on the inside track for the Wisconsin job, but you never know …

Lance Leipold, current Kansas head coach. He’s quickly turned Kansas around, after having previously been successful at Buffalo. He could also be a candidate at Wisconsin or Nebraska. (Wisconsin native). Age 58 — a little older than the ideal.

Jay Norvell, current Colorado State head coach. A little rocky in his first year at CSU, but he did well previously at Nevada. The former Hawkeye player has obvious Iowa ties. At age 59, he’s also older than the ideal candidate.

These are just a few names off the top of my head. Who else should be on the list?
I get your point on Woods not having the resume that would show he is ready for a HC job but he is my choice. Does a tremendous job with whatever duties he is given. Very good recruiter. From what I hear the players love him and he is respected by every other teams coaches. It would be a gamble but he is who I would ask.

I get your point on Woods not having the resume that would show he is ready for a HC job but he is my choice. Does a tremendous job with whatever duties he is given. Very good recruiter. From what I hear the players love him and he is respected by every other teams coaches. It would be a gamble but he is who I would ask.
I would agree with your thoughts with addition of maybe asking B Stoops to tutor him for a couple of years (if possible). In-house transition would be less disruptive.

Another argument in favor of Woods would be that he would be the head coach most likely to keep Phil Parker on for a few more years. (If that is something we would want.)

The first mandatory, strong qualification a new coach and his staff will have to have is the ability to recruit. It certainly appears that Bielema will start to lock-up Illinois like Alvarez did Wisconsin. Iowa requires Illinois players to survive.

Give Matt Rhule a call. Extremely successful at the college level but having some difficulty in the NFL. I'm almost certain that he'll be returning to college someday - might as well be us. Even if he is around only long enough to win a conference championship and/or NY6 bowl game and/or playoff game or two before moving on to a blue blood, I'd be happy to be his stepping stone.

Matt Entz.

Is he the guy? It's hard to say, but he needs to be on the list. A lot of people worry about the jump from FCS to FBS. Ten years ago, people were talking about this "Lance guy" who was winning DIII championships at Wisconsin-Whitewater, and everyone was predicting he could be the next great college coach, but no one would take a chance on him until lowly Buffalo did in 2015, mainly because he was coaching DIII ball.

Yep, been pimping Woods all year. He gets it and has an edge.

Reactions: HAWKS4LIFE

I don't think Iowa would pay Mark Stoops more than KF. He signed a contract that tops out at $8M.
He also has automatic contract extensions. 7 wins adds 1 year. 10 wins adds another.

Don't over think it, you do this once every 20 years. Pay off the KF Contract, write whatever number it takes to get Mark Stoops and the staff he wants to bring, do it again in 10+ years.
He is probably looking at 8-4 this year at best. Vols probably gonna truck them this weekend and they have Georgia yet. And remember they were in the exact same bowl we were last season and it went down to the wire against a pathetic Iowa team. I don't f-ing get it sometimes.

Deuce come back with him?

Reactions: jo12208
If we hire Mark Stoops this board should pin a thread with everyone’s name who supports it.

I would bet he will be considered a Stoopid hire after a couple years

Reactions: jo12208
He is probably looking at 8-4 this year at best. Vols probably gonna truck them this weekend and they have Georgia yet. And remember they were in the exact same bowl we were last season and it went down to the wire against a pathetic Iowa team. I don't f-ing get it sometimes.

And? Look at who he plays in conference and that record and look at who we play. Do you happen to remember how many guys sat out from that KY team for our bowl?

As has been said many times, HC of a P5 team is a CEO position. Leadership and decision making skills are the most important aspects of the job. Being able to build a team of coaches that gets the job done. Knowing when changes need to be made and having courage to make them.

How many HC's have we seen in the past that were successful at one place and then not-so-much at the next place? Chip Kelly wildly successful at Oregon and has been bouncing around since. Not sure yet about Brian Kelly. BB was great at Wisky, then not good at Arkansas, now building at Illinois. Nebraska coaches. USC coaches. Texas coaches. Florida coaches. FSU coaches.

In other words, it's very difficult.

In my opinion, the Iowa Football program is still strong. It doesn't need to be overhauled. Change the leadership and build from there.

LeVar Woods.

If we hire Mark Stoops this board should pin a thread with everyone’s name who supports it.

I would bet he will be considered a Stoopid hire after a couple years

What makes you think that?

A few reasons

1. Many people are just never satisfied
  2. It’s such an obvious nickname
  3. He reopens the door for people to bitch we didn’t get Bob Stoops 20 years ago
  4. It would be a fine hire… but that’s it. He has done nothing to make it a slam dunk and overconfidence breeds contempt
All these reasons are why I plan to be pissed when anyone is hired and pissed throughout their tenure. I’m really looking forward to actually executing on a plan for once

• Haha
Reactions: jo12208 and DewHawk
Garrett Riley, would be good storyline for usc’s first season in B1G… plus he seems to know offense…

And you're aware of Kentucky's football history?

The awful Big Ten West is going away.

USC and UCLA are offensive machines.

3 yards and a cloud of dust beating up on the garbage in the West is soon to be ancient history.

offense and a passing attack will be more important than ever.
The B1G West, other than wisky, has definitely been a gift for Kirk. With that almost surely going away and adding a resurgent usc and improved UCLA to the mix it will likely mean a couple more difficult conference games each year.
Also agree that the antiquated offense will continue to get left behind.

He has been their 10 years… at some point he has to share blame for that history
What blame does he share for their history as a terrible program? He's won 10 games twice and he'll have won 7 or more games 6 of his 10 years after this season. Kentucky is a perennial bottom feeder, they are basically the same level of program as Kansas and have to compete in the SEC. Extremely difficult to win there. For reference, the last time Kentucky won 10 games before Stoops did it twice was in 1977.

He had a rough first year (2-10) but it's hard to hold that against him. He's had the program on the rise since then. They were outside of the top 50-60 in annual recruiting rankings when he arrived and he immediately had them getting top 25 classes. His 2022 class was ranked #14 per Rivals.

1. Bob Stoops
2. Mark Stoops
3. Brett Beleima
4. David Shaw
5. Paul Chryst
6. Lavar Woods
7. Bo Pelini
8. Chris Peterson
9. Brian Ferentz
10. Mickey Joseph
Bo Pelini. He’s too much like Kirk. You know….reserved, never wanting to answer questions, respectful to the media….lol
Bo would probably not wave to the kids.

What blame does he share for their history as a terrible program? He's won 10 games twice and he'll have won 7 or more games 6 of his 10 years after this season. Kentucky is a perennial bottom feeder, they are basically the same level of program as Kansas and have to compete in the SEC. Extremely difficult to win there. For reference, the last time Kentucky won 10 games before Stoops did it twice was in 1977.

He had a rough first year (2-10) but it's hard to hold that against him. He's had the program on the rise since then. They were outside of the top 50-60 in annual recruiting rankings when he arrived and he immediately had them getting top 25 classes. His 2022 class was ranked #14 per Rivals.
7 or more games 6 of his 10 years??? Where would we put the statue if he brought that to Iowa?

The blame he shares for the history is the history he participated in. I was kidding, but at some point he should be responsible for the image of the program

He would be a fine hire. I just think it’s bogus that he gets a pass because he went to a crappy program and his losses don’t count because the SEC is so freaking superior

Color me more than a little surprised that nobody's listed Urban Meyer, even as a joke, yet.

Or Nick Saban.

Or UGA's coach, or Swinney at Clemson.

Reactions: HAWKS4LIFE
The old married Arkansas coach who had his girlfriend on the back of his motorcycle. Can't remember his name though....

You cant compare a body of work by a coach with how his team played against Iowa in a bowl last year. I am not promoting Mark Stoops but remember Kentucky had a few really top starters sitting out that game.

The old married Arkansas coach who had his girlfriend on the back of his motorcycle. Can't remember his name though....
Bobby Petrino? Yeah that was a weird affair as I think she was married maybe and worked in the Ath Dept. Crash and burned for awhile.

ADVERTISEMENT