ADVERTISEMENT

Let’s start the list

eric bieniemy
Very interesting choice. Not sure how he is closing the deal with recruiting but offensive recruits who want to play for a proven NFL level coach would listen hard about coming to Iowa.

He has to have learned a lot from A Reid and if you really look at the Chiefs offense and back with the Eagles, A Reid is not throwing the ball 80 times a game but still wants a good running game, strong OLine, but Eric B would add in a very smart passing game.

Eric B has been passed over for NFL top jobs so he might think a $5 a year deal in college sounds great.

Phil should probably be first choice he put the work in and is the only constant thing about our program. If he doesn't want it they should ask him who he thinks would be a good fit.
Phil we don't want to loose

The first mandatory, strong qualification a new coach and his staff will have to have is the ability to recruit. It certainly appears that Bielema will start to lock-up Illinois like Alvarez did Wisconsin. Iowa requires Illinois players to survive.

No doubt. Bret is a problem for Iowa

7 or more games 6 of his 10 years??? Where would we put the statue if he brought that to Iowa?

The blame he shares for the history is the history he participated in. I was kidding, but at some point he should be responsible for the image of the program

He would be a fine hire. I just think it’s bogus that he gets a pass because he went to a crappy program and his losses don’t count because the SEC is so freaking superior
Again, this is Kentucky football we are talking about. I don't understand the sarcasm. He would be part of the programs bad history if he contributed to it, but he's done nothing but build the program up since he's been there.

Of the 4 of 10 seasons under .500, 3 of them were his first 3 seasons in the program (2-10, 5-7, 5-7) which is similar to Kirk's start at Iowa. In the 7 seasons since he'll have had winning records in all but the 2020 Covid year where they played a 10 game all SEC schedule. That includes two 10 win seasons, an 8 win season, and 4 straight bowl wins. It looks like they're well on their way to another 8+ win season this year. Not going to hold 2020 against him, that was a fluky year for everyone and a tough schedule.

Who has a better resume that Iowa has a realistic shot at? He has to be right at the top of the list along with Beilema and Bobby. Bobby is too old imo though.

Again, this is Kentucky football we are talking about. I don't understand the sarcasm. He would be part of the programs bad history if he contributed to it, but he's done nothing but build the program up since he's been there.

Of the 4 of 10 seasons under .500, 3 of them were his first 3 seasons in the program (2-10, 5-7, 5-7) which is similar to Kirk's start at Iowa. In the 7 seasons since he'll have had winning records in all but the 2020 Covid year where they played a 10 game all SEC schedule. That includes two 10 win seasons, an 8 win season, and 4 straight bowl wins. It looks like they're well on their way to another 8+ win season this year. Not going to hold 2020 against him, that was a fluky year for everyone and a tough schedule.

Who has a better resume that Iowa has a realistic shot at? He has to be right at the top of the list along with Beilema and Bobby. Bobby is too old imo though.

I think having him at the top of the list is fair, but it’s hard to get pumped up about 8+ wins. It’s just boring - which is ok - Kirk was super boring and that worked out well. I’ve just never understood any excitement about Stoops. If his last name was Moops I don’t think he’d be on the list at all

And to your point - I don’t see any guys on the hypothetical list in this thread that would blow me away (with the exception of Eric Bieniemy…)

I would actually prefer someone I have never heard of if he can keep the defensive coaches intact. But what the hell do I know - I was over the moon about the Alford and Lickliter hires

I think having him at the top of the list is fair, but it’s hard to get pumped up about 8+ wins. It’s just boring - which is ok - Kirk was super boring and that worked out well. I’ve just never understood any excitement about Stoops. If his last name was Moops I don’t think he’d be on the list at all

And to your point - I don’t see any guys on the hypothetical list in this thread that would blow me away (with the exception of Eric Bieniemy…)

I would actually prefer someone I have never heard of if he can keep the defensive coaches intact. But what the hell do I know - I was over the moon about the Alford and Lickliter hires
I agree about wanting someone I've never heard of, someone that could inject some excitement into the program. I was mostly trying to look at realistic options. While Stoops is a known name, 8 wins at Kentucky and proving he can recruit at Kentucky does not equal the same thing as it does at other more established programs. That says to me that with the resources and fan support at Iowa he could achieve even better results here.

Reactions: Hawk and Awe
I agree about wanting someone I've never heard of, someone that could inject some excitement into the program. I was mostly trying to look at realistic options. While Stoops is a known name, 8 wins at Kentucky and proving he can recruit at Kentucky does not equal the same thing as it does at other more established programs. That says to me that with the resources and fan support at Iowa he could achieve even better results here.

Mark Stoops would be a great hire, but not the best.

1) L Leipold
2) M Stoops
3) LeVar Woods the probable one
4) B Bielema

Reactions: pocha444444
Prefer an offense guy over a defense guy.

I also prefer you cut the cord with the past and go outside the box.

ADVERTISEMENT