ADVERTISEMENT

Let's say the NCAA mandated single platoon football this fall...

ChipHilton

HB Legend
Sep 8, 2001
Geek squaders only. (OK, JFCers chime in if you must.) You out there @Digger1?

Everyone has to play both ways, except we'll make the quarterback ineligible for defense. Who's your best all-around Iowa Hawkeye 12, with one being an all-time defender? Where have I gone wrong?

The first choices were pretty easy.

Linderbaum- The OL anchor who can probably handle DT (or 5-2/3-4 nose) quite well.

Goodson- Gotta run the ball. Must hope he can handle corner.

Campbell- The defense part is easy. Offensively? Close your eyes and say "left guard".

Then it gets a little harder....

Richman- It would be better if he were a year older, but the guy was a really good high school DE, so he's my 4-3 DE/ 5-2 DT and offensive left tackle.

Moss- Tough call here vs Hankins as to who might be the better WR. I lean towards Moss based on some of his int returns, but who knows.

Tracy- Can he play free safety? Could Hankins be a better combo player? Merriweather? Xavior Williams? Terry Roberts was a dynamic HS receiver, IIRC. Right now I'll take Tracy's offense and will give him the chance on defense.

Ince- LG-RT and DT. DeJong and Britt challenging if the latter ever gets healthy.

VanValkenberg- Trusting the Hillsdale education and assuming he'll learn quickly at RT or RG. He's at DE, of course.

Benson- The former QB gets the first shot at fullback. Should have some ball skills left in the arsenal and maybe would touch the ball a bit more, like a Fry FB. Were Jacobs to clearly move past him at LB, JJ becomes more of an H-Back fullback.

LaPorta- This is actually kinda tough. We need/love our TE, but where would he go on defense? Seems like things would have to go 5-2/3-4 so he can play DE-OLB.

I thought of sticking Moss at Cash, getting Hankins, etc back at corner, but that means either no tight end or fullback. No fullback is fine by me, but without Benson/Jacobs there's only one inside LB. (The famous 5-1-5 defense?) This coaching thing is hard, no?

As for the designated defender role, I have Belton there- at SS- but Koerner and Merriweather would certainly disagree. Our second platoon certainly wouldn't lack in the back end.

Looking down the road, the incoming freshman team would appear to have some interesting two-way prospects, such as Messers DeJean, Johnson and Llewellyn.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News