HB Heisman
Jul 18, 2013
Cedar Valley
We lose this week, or at Indiana.

Then we lose Nebraska's super bowl.

Where would that put us?

Wisconsin would win the west?

Just thinking out loud.

Correct. That's why we needed the piece of crap state of Neb to beat Wis. I think the Badgers are done losing this year. We can only drop 1 game. That's why this week is so important.

Well, that sucks. Maybe the Hawks will only have 1 loss, but I would still put the odds against that.

Maybe Wisky will lose at Illinois or at Minny.

That's probably the best options but I doubt they do. I wish they would only count West division games for the conference winner and not the crossover games.

That's probably the best options but I doubt they do. I wish they would only count West division games for the conference winner and not the crossover games.
Why? Wisconsin has proven to be anything but the team they've been in the past. Zero running game. And while they may figure things out, it's not like the B1G West isn't very balanced this year. Ex. Purdue, everyone is competitive.

We lose this week, or at Indiana.

Then we lose Nebraska's super bowl.

Where would that put us?

Wisconsin would win the west?

Just thinking out loud.
Depends on Nate Sudfeld. I was worried about that game but I'm not sure how long he will be out. They aren't good offensively without him.

Why? Wisconsin has proven to be anything but the team they've been in the past. Zero running game. And while they may figure things out, it's not like the B1G West isn't very balanced this year. Ex. Purdue, everyone is competitive.
This, Wisconsin will lose again.

6-2 could easily still win the West for Iowa but there is still WAAAAY too much football to be played. Northwestern is going to lose AT LEAST once more, maybe twice. If we tie w/ Wisky @ 6-2 we have the tie breaker. We also have the tie breaker over Illinois. Just too early to tell.

Now we are Nebraska's Super Bowl too?
They're kinda running out of big games on their schedule and the losses are piling up.

If all they have left is to possibly spoil Iowa's season then it's gonna be like the opposite of the 2012 game in Iowa City. I just hope it's not nearly as cold or windy, and that the Hawks come out winners in this one. :cool:

They're kinda running out of big games on their schedule and the losses are piling up.

If all they have left is to possibly spoil Iowa's season then it's gonna be like the opposite of the 2012 game in Iowa City. I just hope it's not nearly as cold or windy, and that the Hawks come out winners in this one. :cool:
Already heard it from a couple Nebraska fans. Now they hope Iowa goes undefeated and they beat us on Black Friday.

I have a hard time seeing the Big Ten West winner having less than 2 losses. No one is just that much better than the other teams in the division. Someone will get hot against Wisconsin and catch them.

Don't you know? We're EVERYONE'S Super Bowl.
Well let's break it down:

- Iowa State (obvious....)
- Pittsburgh (lost to us last year, wanted to return the favor, new coach looking for a big road win against a "quality" opponent and said new coach has had history against Iowa)
- North Texas ("marquee" game on their schedule.....money-wise that is)
- Wisconsin (best rivalry in the west)
- Illinois (best chance for Illinois to have a shot at getting into the division race, not to mention we're old-school rivals from back in the day......)
- Northwestern (Pat Fitzgerald holds a grudge)
- Maryland (they beat us last year and are running out of opportunities for big wins)
- Indiana (also running out of opportunities for big wins and they get us at home. They usually tend to get up for us a bit more in Bloomington given our recent struggles there)
- Minnesota (apparently they hate Iowa.....)
- Purdue (certain Iowa fans thought we were damn lucky last year to escape with the victory because they only played Austin Appleby in the 2nd half and didn't know what they had until after the game.....so by that logic of those certain real-life Iowa fans, we should expect the f***ing New England Patriots to show up in Iowa City on Senior Day acting like they're getting ready to play the Manning-led Colts from the mid-2000s)
- Nebraska (they'll have nothing left by then, so just like Iowa State.....obvious)

And this is why our schedule is NOT the easiest in the country.

:cool:

Reactions: naturalmwa
How can we argue that Iowa doesn't have one of the easiest schedules in the country? We should ignore all of the computer rankings because Iowa is everyone's Super Bowl? And so I am clear, we are Pitt's Super Bowl because we beat them last year but we are Maryland's Super Bowl even though they beat us last year because they are running out of opportunities for big wins?

6-2 could easily still win the West for Iowa but there is still WAAAAY too much football to be played. Northwestern is going to lose AT LEAST once more, maybe twice. If we tie w/ Wisky @ 6-2 we have the tie breaker. We also have the tie breaker over Illinois. Just too early to tell.

You are correct. 6-2 could win it, but it would depend on who the losses are to and what else would happen. 7-1 would very likely give Iowa the title. And 7-1 would guarantee Iowa the B1G west if Iowa beats Northwestern.

Northwestern (in addition to the game with Iowa) has to play at Wisconsin, at Nebraska. With their weak offense, they likely aren't winning both (or either game). They also play Penn State at home. PSU is not impressive, but they do have a good defense.

Wisconsin is a real threat to run the table. They do play at Minnesota and at Illinois. But they will be a favorite in all of them. It would have helped Iowa for Nebraska to have defeated Wisconsin. It would have effectively put Iowa 3 games in front of Wisconsin as Iowa has the tiebreaker.

Nebraska is still not dead, believe it or not. A loss at Minnesota this week would be the end, but if (a big if) they manage to win that one they could put together a streak. They still have Northwestern, Michigan State and Iowa at home. Road games at Purdue and Rutgers.

Minnesota may have turned things around, but their schedule is just brutal. They still have to play Nebraska, Michigan, OSU, Iowa, Illinois and Wisconsin. No easy ones in there. Road games are Iowa and OSU. If Kill manages to go 4-4 with this schedule that is a good year.

Bottom line, Iowa becomes the clear favorite this weekend with a win. With wins over the other top contenders, Iowa would have an effective 2-game cushion over Wisconsin and 3 over Northwestern with 5 to play.

Already heard it from a couple Nebraska fans. Now they hope Iowa goes undefeated and they beat us on Black Friday.

You know what? Being undefeated going into Lincoln and then losing that game would be disappointing. No doubt about it.

However, in that exact scenario, Iowa would have already clinched a berth in the B1G championship game before stepping on the field. That would certainly take out some of the sting of losing to them.

How can we argue that Iowa doesn't have one of the easiest schedules in the country? We should ignore all of the computer rankings because Iowa is everyone's Super Bowl? And so I am clear, we are Pitt's Super Bowl because we beat them last year but we are Maryland's Super Bowl even though they beat us last year because they are running out of opportunities for big wins?
Yeah basically. Everything I said is true, and you should believe everything I say.

If people can't understand that Nebraska is terrible, then I don't know what else to tell you.

They have not looked good at any point this year, and will very likely not even make a bowl game.
Eh, I'm sure more level-headed posters could make the argument that Nebraska is not that bad, considering all the close losses to at least average to above average opponents.............................but I'm not gonna do it. :D

Everybody can admit Nebraska sucks, even their most die hard fans. But you can guarantee they'll be fired up for their Super Bowl.

If people can't understand that Nebraska is terrible, then I don't know what else to tell you.

They have not looked good at any point this year, and will very likely not even make a bowl game.

Nebraska was one first down away from beating Wisconsin.
Wisconsin was knocking on the door of a win against Iowa and fumbled the ball away inside Iowa's five yard line.
The margins between winners and losers in those two games were razor thin. I don't know how anyone who watched those games could reach the conclusion that Nebraska is horrible unless you simultaneously agree that Iowa and Wisconsin are only slightly better than horrible.

Nebraska may very well lose to Northwestern and Michigan State. That written, I expect that they will give Iowa a competitive ball game in November. Either team has a good chance of winning that game.

Reactions: hansenhawk
You know what? Being undefeated going into Lincoln and then losing that game would be disappointing. No doubt about it.

However, in that exact scenario, Iowa would have already clinched a berth in the B1G championship game before stepping on the field. That would certainly take out some of the sting of losing to them.

You are correct sir. If Iowa goes into the Nebraska game undefeated, the B1G West title will already be in hand. Tiebreaker over Wisconsin would be ensured. A loss in that scenario would still be bad, but not end of the world.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT