ADVERTISEMENT

Let's see if Brian F can build on the Laporta-Lachey combo routes

uihawk82

HR All-American
Nov 17, 2021
I am pretty sure Lachey's two nice catches came on very similar pass patterns where he was lined up near Laporta. Laporta seemed to go up the seam while Lachey broke his route to the outside.

I hope we see some other route combinations off of that or similar formations where Laporta or another receiver along with Lachey fake some previous routes and maybe Lachey goes up the seam.

It seemed like with Fant and Hockensen and some other tight ends Brian F would work them up the seam route a lot until the defense stopped it with a safety but then that opens up a wide receiver 20-30 yard sideline route.

I am pretty sure Lachey's two nice catches came on very similar pass patterns where he was lined up near Laporta. Laporta seemed to go up the seam while Lachey broke his route to the outside.

I hope we see some other route combinations off of that or similar formations where Laporta or another receiver along with Lachey fake some previous routes and maybe Lachey goes up the seam.

It seemed like with Fant and Hockensen and some other tight ends Brian F would work them up the seam route a lot until the defense stopped it with a safety but then that opens up a wide receiver 20-30 yard sideline route.

Worked well in '09 against UM with Moecki and Reisner.

Several "smash" like concepts into the boundary on Saturday that were successful. Whether that was taking advantage of a Rutgers coverage tendency or not I can't be sure (especially without re-watching), but it seemed to be somewhat thematic. Again, haven't rewatched yet, but didn't feel like there were a ton of full field reads on Saturday. And very few long throws...not necessary deep, but also opposite hash throws. Throws to the boundary, throws requiring Spencer to only read 1 defender, that sort of thing...if I got a chance to take another look I'd be interesting in diving deeper into that.

Moeaki seam route TDs vs Mich 2009 style!
The Rich Rod defense of that time period was pretty bad. That was -- if I remember -- pretty much a middle screen where Michigan just dropped the coverage. Completely different defense than what Michigan has out there on Saturday.

Not sure it is a Brian problem......
Yeah I would agree. That doesn't absolve BF or KF of blame, and I'm not even saying that BF shouldn't go after this year. Ultimately, everything on the offense is his responsibility. Iowa is limited at WR. The coaches are responsible for who is on the roster.

But I would guess that Michigan will make it much harder on Iowa to get the TE's so involved. Much, much better athletes on defense than Rutgers. Michigan will challenge Iowa's wideouts with man coverage and bracket the TE's. A running game would help a lot. But any points are going to be hard to get.

Reactions: briggshawk
Yeah I would agree. That doesn't absolve BF or KF of blame, and I'm not even saying that BF shouldn't go after this year. Ultimately, everything on the offense is his responsibility. Iowa is limited at WR. The coaches are responsible for who is on the roster.

But I would guess that Michigan will make it much harder on Iowa to get the TE's so involved. Much, much better athletes on defense than Rutgers. Michigan will challenge Iowa's wideouts with man coverage and bracket the TE's. A running game would help a lot. But any points are going to be hard to get.
Michigan will definitely be looking at the Rutgers tape of Iowa. Iowa will have to execute early and make adjustments to the Michigan D in order to find ways to get the TE's in space and open the run game. I don't see Iowa WR's getting much room against that secondary

Not having Keagan Johnson available (now confirmed) is a real kick in the nuts. Bruce was limited on Saturday due to an injury. Brecht has been the ultimate non-factor. Raganini wasn't a factor either. If I'm Michigan's D Coordinator, I go man-to-man on Iowa's receivers, load up the box and stymie the run. They will force Iowa to try moving the ball through Petras, LaPorta, Bruce, Ragaini and Lachey. No one else is a legitimate threat at this point.

So I know that there has been a fair amount of chatter regarding the lack of WR talent and possibly utilizing one of our talented DB's (CDJ or X) to fill in this year. Ostrenga looked great as a receiver when we saw him prior to the season starting. He has only played one offensive snap this year. It seems he played split out as a receiver in high school. I wonder why they haven't tried putting him out there.

This is off of his recruiting profile:

AllenTrieu

Allen TrieuNATIONAL RECRUITING ANALYST

PROJECTION​

Power-5 Starter

COMPARISON​

Daniel Helm OAKLAND RAIDERS

Played split out in high school and showed the ability to run routes and catch the ball like a receiver. Looked a little bit faster and more sudden as a senior. Showed run after the catch ability and acceleration and also got stronger, was showed up in his blocking. Will have to adjust to playing on the ball and we assume with his hand down more although he is going to be able to continue to split out and stand up in the slot if a school needs hi, to. Former baseball commit who shows athleticism, coordination and has good upside as a tight end prospect. Has some weight room work to do but ceiling is high.

Reactions: CookyMonster
How much longer is Vines going to be out? It’s been about 6 weeks since his wrist injury.

So I know that there has been a fair amount of chatter regarding the lack of WR talent and possibly utilizing one of our talented DB's (CDJ or X) to fill in this year. Ostrenga looked great as a receiver when we saw him prior to the season starting. He has only played one offensive snap this year. It seems he played split out as a receiver in high school. I wonder why they haven't tried putting him out there.

This is off of his recruiting profile:

AllenTrieu

Allen TrieuNATIONAL RECRUITING ANALYST

PROJECTION​

Power-5 Starter

COMPARISON​

Daniel Helm OAKLAND RAIDERS

Played split out in high school and showed the ability to run routes and catch the ball like a receiver. Looked a little bit faster and more sudden as a senior. Showed run after the catch ability and acceleration and also got stronger, was showed up in his blocking. Will have to adjust to playing on the ball and we assume with his hand down more although he is going to be able to continue to split out and stand up in the slot if a school needs hi, to. Former baseball commit who shows athleticism, coordination and has good upside as a tight end prospect. Has some weight room work to do but ceiling is high.
Probably because he's a good pass-catching option as a future TE but he's probably less of a threat than any of the current WR's on the roster at stretching the field. The issue really isn't quality TE's, Iowa has 2 of them who play a lot. Even the best TE's are going to be limited if you can't get the defense to back off. Teams just have no fear of anyone on Iowa running by them and catching a pass.

It's why ISM was such an asset for Iowa in his time here. His stats were good, not great. But teams at least had to know where he was and play at least 1 safety away from the LOS when he was in the game. He was that fast.

Ostrenga moves well. But putting him out there now and expecting him to be much of a pass-catching threat won't be successful.

Mchigan DC will notice that Petras locks on to LaPorta more than any Iowa receiver. They will scheme to glove LaPorta and see if Petras can adjust. I expect Petras to try to force bullet throws into tight coverage, Iowa cannot afford TOs this game but I'm not hopeful. There's a reason his INT to TD ratio is horrendous.

Probably because he's a good pass-catching option as a future TE but he's probably less of a threat than any of the current WR's on the roster at stretching the field. The issue really isn't quality TE's, Iowa has 2 of them who play a lot. Even the best TE's are going to be limited if you can't get the defense to back off. Teams just have no fear of anyone on Iowa running by them and catching a pass.

It's why ISM was such an asset for Iowa in his time here. His stats were good, not great. But teams at least had to know where he was and play at least 1 safety away from the LOS when he was in the game. He was that fast.

Ostrenga moves well. But putting him out there now and expecting him to be much of a pass-catching threat won't be successful.
It's hard to imagine that he could be less successful than 1 reception over 4 games.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT