Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Garza, ConMac, Wieskamp, CJF, Kriener, BK, JoeTO, Pemsl

Votes: 12 30.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

KcTo

HR All-American
Feb 6, 2020
Part A. Is ranking the players using the ‘eye’ test. Who do you think the best players are in terms of ranking them by say,

1. Conference results. As they provide a consistent competitive standard and this is for the most part post Jobo so the remaining 8 will have similar consistent minutes played.

2. Let’s look at non ‘counting numbers’ as Garza gets the most minutes and shots so he will win all, and so on, so we can look at contributions over 40m to normalize the comparisons.

the poll is pretty easy, select the configuration that best ranks the players using the eye test, do so quickly, go with your gut, and try to do so without ‘cheating’ by looking at advanced sites, as that defeats the purpose of trusting your ‘gut’ and ‘eyes’

please feel free to share your thoughts on the key point or 3 that guided your decision making

Last edited:
Iowa is having a terrific season. The reason they aren't having a GREAT season (not counting injuries), is that they really didn't have a 2nd best player. You could make a case for CMac, JoeW, Kreiner, possibly even CJ as their "next best" player (as your poll suggests), but no one stood out IMO.

Without Garza, this team would struggle to beat anyone.

Overall, I don't see the order that I would suggest: Luka, CMac, Weesy, CJ, Kriener, BE, JoeT, Pemsl. As mentioned, the #2 varies, which is mostly good. CMac is my #2 because he has been the most consistent performer, besides Luka. Connor has been the glue guy, who does what ever is needed, and is basically a coach on the floor. #3-#5 is very close, and depends on the competition and which part of the season you consider. CJ's injuries make it hard to call him #3. Weesy has been off the past few weeks, but was probably #2 for the first half of the B1G season. Kriener has been very solid most of the time. BE has been a life saver with JBo out. JoeT is very erratic, but will be very important over the next few years.

Reactions: KcTo
Overall, I don't see the order that I would suggest: Luka, CMac, Weesy, CJ, Kriener, BE, JoeT, Pemsl. As mentioned, the #2 varies, which is mostly good. CMac is my #2 because he has been the most consistent performer, besides Luka. Connor has been the glue guy, who does what ever is needed, and is basically a coach on the floor. #3-#5 is very close, and depends on the competition and which part of the season you consider. CJ's injuries make it hard to call him #3. Weesy has been off the past few weeks, but was probably #2 for the first half of the B1G season. Kriener has been very solid most of the time. BE has been a life saver with JBo out. JoeT is very erratic, but will be very important over the next few years.
Added that poll choice...

And your a ConMac fan...

Question: Do you think ConMac produces superior results than JoeTO? Thanks.

Added that poll choice...

And your a ConMac fan...

Question: Do you think ConMac produces superior results than JoeTO? Thanks.
Assist/TO ratio, ability to play multiple positions, court awareness, moving the ball (not just assists, but "hockey assists"), and making the "right plays" when needed, all make Connor much better at this point. JoeT is a better on-ball defender at PG, but that is about the only thing he does better, at least consistently. JoeT will keep getting better.

Reactions: HungryHawk
Assist/TO ratio, ability to play multiple positions, court awareness, moving the ball (not just assists, but "hockey assists"), and making the "right plays" when needed, all make Connor much better at this point. JoeT is a better on-ball defender at PG, but that is about the only thing he does better, at least consistently. JoeT will keep getting better.
I agree with most all of your analysis....

Do you think ConMac is superior to JoeTO at the PG position?
If so, by what degree?

I agree with most all of your analysis....

Do you think ConMac is superior to JoeTO at the PG position?
If so, by what degree?
Except for the ability to play on-ball defense against the opposing PG, yes. I like him playing as a point swing man, which allows him a lot of flexibility on both ends, and he excels at doing a lot of different things.

If the question is you have 10 seconds left and your down 1 point whose hands do you want the ball in? I'll go with Garza, Kreiner, CJF, Weezy, CMaC, JoeT, Bakari, CP.

Bright spots- Garza, C Mac, Kreiner, CJF
As Expected - Joe T, Bakari, JoBo
Underperforming- Weezy, Pemsl

both Joe W have had stealer games, just way too inconsistent

If ConMac is 100x better, why does JoeTO start at PG?

Connor still starts and is capable of playing 4 spots, which is partly why he is so valuable.

If Joe is such a good starting PG why is Bakari averaging more minutes per game

Reactions: iahawks10
If ConMac is 100x better, why does JoeTO start at PG?

He was, when they were healthy. I don’t know why this so difficult for you or maybe you’re just not aware, but Iowa has lost two starters to injuries.

With a healthy Nunge, Connor started PG. When Nunge went down, JBo entered the starting lineup. Bohannon remained there along side C McCaffery until he had to make his season ending decision. Toussaint doesn’t enter the starting lineup until game 12 (Cincinnati) where he played 4 minutes. Evelyn came in and pretty much saved the day.

Toussaint isn’t starting out of choice. I believe the plan is for him to be the starting PG some day, just not this early in his career. Just like Connor isn’t starting at the 4 out of choice.

I don’t quite understand your fascination with the lineup. You seem to believe that Iowa just has all these guys on the bench sitting to lesser talent. That or you think guys can play 40 minutes without fatigue, injuries, or fouls. I’m not sure which, but questioning Fran’s lineups and substitutions this season is not only unwarranted, it’s flat out ridiculous.

Reactions: CuttyDoesIt
Connor still starts and is capable of playing 4 spots, which is partly why he is so valuable.

If Joe is such a good starting PG why is Bakari averaging more minutes per game

What he’s getting at, is why doesn’t C McCaffery start PG so Kriener can play the four? He’s just found another way to rehash his stance for about the third time.

Garza, Kriener, Wieskamp, Fredrick, C McCaffery. That is arguably your best five and under different circumstances you’d probably see it. As it stands, it leaves Iowa with Pemsl and Till to spell Garza and Kriener if anything goes wrong (fouls injuries). It’s pretty clear to most and understandable that Fran doesn’t exactly trust that option.

OP is convinced that defense is the only way to win games. He’s wrong. And OP has no statistical proof that a strong defensive team is more apt to win than a strong offensive team. In fact, looking at efficiency numbers, name the last team to win the national championship that was better defensively than they were offensively.

This poll is a waste of time. It all depends in who is healthy and the matchup per the other team.

In any case, if Garza isnt on the floor the team is going to stink.

OP is convinced that defense is the only way to win games. He’s wrong. And OP has no statistical proof that a strong defensive team is more apt to win than a strong offensive team. In fact, looking at efficiency numbers, name the last team to win the national championship that was better defensively than they were offensively.

Virginia 2019
Texas Tech and Virginia in national championship game.
#2 vs #1 in KenPom defense

Wrong

Virginia finished #2 AdjO in 2019 #5 AdjD
Good find, I thought Virginia was #1in D. My bad

but definitely illustrates that strong defense is in indicator of success with both finalist being in FF #1 and #5

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT