ADVERTISEMENT

Lettuce Shortage

noleclone2

HR Legend
May 4, 2015
I was not aware but apparently this is a thing now as I am seeing signs at local eateries about extra costs and availability at grocery stores. Thankfully, no shortage in the Devil’s Lettuce these days. And I suppose if you had to pick something to be out of, this is not a bad one!

Reactions: Twoooooooo
giphy.gif

I did not know this, thanks for the thread. I have noticed, head lettuce quality (size and density) seems a bit down lately, and often they don't have all that much on display. Even been shut out a few times recently too (I grocery shop twice per week).

This will indeed affect me. I eat salads of some sort for dinner 4 to 5 days per week.

This explains why I have been buying some bizarre greens being marketed as lettuce at farmers markets for the last few weeks. One tasted like straight black pepper

Reactions: noleclone2
I eat a big salad for lunch everyday. I have notice the quality of the heads being poor. Spinach or Kale is fine or any other green for that matter.

I would ok adding more bell peppers/onions/carrots to offset the volume.

Pregnant wife (no pics) had a craving for Taco Johns last weekend. "No lettuce due to supply chain issues" was posted and I just assumed it was a crappy fast food supply issue.

Now it sounds like we're close to this:

K%C3%A9pkocka_a_Mad_Max_2_c%C3%ADm%C5%B1_filmb%C5%91l.jpg
If the world goes Road Warrior style over lettuce it would be the absolute best thing ever. Not water, not gas, not land being overrun by floods or people migrating out of high heat areas. Lettuce took down the humans.

• Haha
Reactions: NDallasRuss
Meh, I buy locally produced lettuce year round thanks to the wonders of hydroponics. I haven't seen any shortages.

spinach is too soft and gritty.
Disagree again. I was always a romaine lettuce guy up until about a year ago when I finally tried replacing it w/ spinach. And I haven't turned back. Spinach just works better for wraps, sandwiches, omelettes, everything I try to make when I'm eating healthy.

lettuce is usually covered in animal shit anyway. 12 pounds in 3 weeks eating salad? Try the lettuce with salmonella, you can lose 20 lbs in 48 hours

Meh, I buy locally produced lettuce year round thanks to the wonders of hydroponics. I haven't seen any shortages.

Lettuce seeds are cheap, easy to grow, and quick to harvest. You can even do it indoors. Getting a big iceberg head is tricky, but leaf lettuce is super easy.

ADVERTISEMENT