ADVERTISEMENT

Liam Robbins (basketball talk)

Now that it's official, let's wish Liam and his uncle well at Vanderbilt. You know what they say: Blood is thicker than what's best for you and your future.
The timeline is really odd. 6 days ago Liam enters the transfer portal. 5 days ago, news breaks that Ed Conroy "likely" getting an assistant job at Vandy. Today, Liam joins Vandy. How long until we hear the Conroy hire is official?

Fran's biggest recruiting failure is not hiring an assistant coach who had 5-star relatives.

legs-young-caucasian-father-jeans-260nw-1362374867.jpg

I wonder which NBA team is going to hire Uncle Ed in 2 years?

Doesn’t seem to make a whole lot of sense on the surface, but who knows what his reasons are. Vandy is a good school and Nashville is pretty fun.

It wouldn’t surprise me if he felt pressured to not go to a rival of the school he is transferring out of as well.

It does seem a little odd to follow your uncle around the country but I don’t know their relationship and it’s his life and his choice to do what’s best for him.

On to the next.

Rebraca is the only other big I’ve heard tied to IA. He seemed like he was solid contributor and played very well against Robbins. Looked pretty fluid in the highlights I’ve seen.

The Mulvey reclassification now looms big. He looks really good but of course will be just a freshman.

Reactions: AwkHawk
Speaking of "Head East" (the band), I had a chance to party with those guys after a concert in 1984. Really fun group.
Saw them play The Roof Garden at Arnold’s Park, Okoboji in the 70’s. Remember I sweated my rear off with no air conditioning and a over capacity crowd. Still had a great time!

Reactions: NI hawk and nu2u
Vandy also landed the 4-star 2022 Texas "package deal" duo - Lee Dort, C, and Noah Shelby, PG. Not sure, but Liam's uncle might have been involved in their recruiting (Minnesota had offered them too).

Snubbed Iowa twice. Can't say I can wish him a lot of success. Really dumb decision, and I don't think I am being a total homer in saying that.
lets see, Vanderbilt is a prestigious academic institution in a great town with a rising basketball program led by a former college all american and NBA all-star. Why in the world would a player choose Vanderbilt? Yeah, you're being a total homer.

lets see, Vanderbilt is a prestigious academic institution in a great town with a rising basketball program led by a former college all american and NBA all-star. Why in the world would a player choose Vanderbilt? Yeah, you're being a total homer.
The program hasn't risen yet, they're .351 in two years under Stackhouse. Plenty of great players turned out to be lousy coaches. Yes, Vandy is a fine school...but you conveniently left out the real reason. Uncle Ed.

The program hasn't risen yet, they're .351 in two years under Stackhouse. Plenty of great players turned out to be lousy coaches. Yes, Vandy is a fine school...but you conveniently left out the real reason. Uncle Ed.
I wasn't sure if his uncle had been hired or not so didn't include that intentionally...if he has, then even more reason for Liam to choose Vanderbilt. So again, yes redhawk was being a total homer suggesting this was a really dumb decision on Liam's part.

Snubbed Iowa twice. Can't say I can wish him a lot of success. Really dumb decision, and I don't think I am being a total homer in saying that.
Snubbed us twice? Please explain. We didn’t recruit him out of high school and don’t believe Fran went after him in the portal the 1st time as Minny was already a done deal. Is what it is.

HUGE air out of the ballon for me! Felt very sure we'd get him, just seemed right for his situation being close to family etc..... Wow, very deflating. Not much confidence in Fran nailing a BIG10 level starting C in the portal. Probably a guy who'd be a decent backup. Long year ahead.

Stackhouse better make hay with Robbins because he's finished dead last in the SEC for his two years there and I suspect they had hoped for more when they hired him. His current recruiting class is rated 12th in the SEC, although he has some studs coming in next season. Robbins must be very close to his uncle for him to hitch his wagon to a program that has gone .176 in conference play under this coach. My guess is that this will be a learning experience for Liam as he will learn to lose basketball games in a whole new array of arenas.

Last edited:
Reactions: HoustonREDHawk
On to the next.

Rebraca is the only other big I’ve heard tied to IA. He seemed like he was solid contributor and played very well against Robbins. Looked pretty fluid in the highlights I’ve seen.

The Mulvey reclassification now looms big. He looks really good but of course will be just a freshman.

Guess Mulvey must be THAT good... His reclassification scared off robbins ;)

You would hope that a coach that has proven he can compete in a tough, major conference, could win a few of these one on one battles. We always seem to be the bridesmaid.

It is kind of hard to believe two centers living within a short drive from Iowa City choose to go to schools who are conference cellar dwellars.

As others have said, Stackhouse is starting to recruit well, but so far he has been a failure, dead last for two years. I said in an earlier post that Vanderbuilt was a beautiful campus with great academics, but we had heard how important family was to Liam, and he now chose a school even further away than Minnesota was. His family could have been at all of the Hawkeye home games, and he could have been an hour away from home. It obviously is Liam's choice to make, but I still don't think I was being a total homer to say I think he made a dumb choice.

As others have said, Stackhouse is starting to recruit well, but so far he has been a failure, dead last for two years. I said in an earlier post that Vanderbuilt was a beautiful campus with great academics, but we had heard how important family was to Liam, and he now chose a school even further away than Minnesota was. His family could have been at all of the Hawkeye home games, and he could have been an hour away from home. It obviously is Liam's choice to make, but I still don't think I was being a total homer to say I think he made a dumb choice.
Vanderbilt is a rising BB program like Nebraska is a rising FB and BB program-NOT

Yep. Vandy has been 3-13 and 3-13 in the SEC in Stackhouse's first two years as head coach. Got to admit, there is only one direction to go from there (other than out the door).
One direction? I think our neighbors to the west showed there is indeed another direction....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT