ADVERTISEMENT

Liam Robbins (basketball talk)

Projections seem like worst-case scenario, with CJ hurt, none of the freshman stepping up, Weesy leaving, and Fran coming up empty in transfers. I wonder how the reclass of the 2022 center recruit, Riley Mulvey, to 2021 would impact projections. I don't know what other teams, other than Purdon't and UM will have back, most seem like dumpster fires, but I like Iowa's chances to be in the top half of the B1G, especially if Robbins is a Hawkeye.

Seems

seems about right. We Dubuque’rs play a lot Euchre and and hit the sauce as often as we can. It’s the only way we can forget we live this close to Wisconsin.
Well when I was a youngster...we used to close the bars in Dubuque then head east to close them in Illinois. I don't think Mulgrew's is still open...

“We goin’ East?”

*like it was an actual question

“We goin’ East?”

*like it was an actual question
Yup, Head East, like the band. Then regret it the next morning. 🙂

I am old enough to have been legal in Iowa and Wisconsin at 18 and legal in Illinois at 19. When I graduated from HS, I would often head east after the IA bars closed. Before I went back to college, I worked 2nd shift at a local factory. Thursday night we'd cash our checks at Paul's, each burgers and drink beers and sometimes shots, then head East for more entertainment after that. Somehow I survived and came to Iowa City for school. Never left.

Well when I was a youngster...we used to close the bars in Dubuque then head east to close them in Illinois. I don't think Mulgrew's is still open...
The old Land of Mint and Honey. Too bad about that fire. When bars closed in East Dubuque at 4 am, I once thought it would be an easy walk across the bridge to the Hotel by the Five Flags Center. It took me like 2 hours.

I am old enough to have been legal in Iowa and Wisconsin at 18 and legal in Illinois at 19. When I graduated from HS, I would often head east after the IA bars closed. Before I went back to college, I worked 2nd shift at a local factory. Thursday night we'd cash our checks at Paul's, each burgers and drink beers and sometimes shots, then head East for more entertainment after that. Somehow I survived and came to Iowa City for school. Never left.
Paul’s!!!!! Used to serve us in high school. Though we were the shit!!!

All of the stories resonate with me. Had a burger in Paul’s Tavern about 3 weeks ago. Used to go to East Dubuque... a lot... regrettably so, the next morning! 3:30 AM Bar Closings, dance clubs, live music, Happy Joes, Mulgrews, oh yeah and the dancing lady clubs! It was a special time, great times, for those of us that lived here. Miss those days, but I think I mostly miss being young. Love life now, but will never forget what a unique and awesome party scene we had for many decades here in the Dubuque / Tri-State area.

Oh yeah, I hope we land Liam Neeson. That would kick ass! In all honesty, I can’t remember there ever being more of a difference maker as a transfer, as Liam Robbins would be for the Iowa Basketball program next year! I love that Fran has sent Luka on the case and I know current players have called him to give the recruiting pitch as well. Fingers crossed 🤞

All of the stories resonate with me. Had a burger in Paul’s Tavern about 3 weeks ago. Used to go to East Dubuque... a lot... regrettably so, the next morning! 3:30 AM Bar Closings, dance clubs, live music, Happy Joes, Mulgrews, oh yeah and the dancing lady clubs! It was a special time, great times, for those of us that lived here. Miss those days, but I think I mostly miss being young. Love life now, but will never forget what a unique and awesome party scene we had for many decades here in the Dubuque / Tri-State area.

Oh yeah, I hope we land Liam Neeson. That would kick ass! In all honesty, I can’t remember there ever being more of a difference maker as a transfer, as Liam Robbins would be for the Iowa Basketball program next year! I love that Fran has sent Luka on the case and I know current players have called him to give the recruiting pitch as well. Fingers crossed 🤞

Ive always found the Illinois river towns very interesting. East Dub, Gulfport, Rock Island (lol). Fun times in each.

Speaking of "Head East" (the band), I had a chance to party with those guys after a concert in 1984. Really fun group.

I was wondering if anyone would bring up Gulfport lol. It was before my time but I’ve heard stories from several family members. It sounds like B-town was a good time back in the day
Oh my!

I’m 35 and from Burlington. Gulfport was CRAZY before it completed flooded. Iowa bars close and Gulfport bars opened at midnight till 6am. It was truly a Wild West of bars & strip clubs (no police presence.) Basically ran by those establishments and their bouncers. Just a few trips was enough for me in my younger years....

Reactions: HawkIDrummer
Speaking of "Head East" (the band), I had a chance to party with those guys after a concert in 1984. Really fun group.
I wandered into one of their concerts in CR somewhere near the downtown bridges back in the '80's Loudest concert I ever attended. My head literally buzzed for days. Probably the reason for my tinnitus today.

Reactions: mstp1992
Oh my!

I’m 35 and from Burlington. Gulfport was CRAZY before it completed flooded. Iowa bars close and Gulfport bars opened at midnight till 6am. It was truly a Wild West of bars & strip clubs (no police presence.) Basically ran by those establishments and their bouncers. Just a few trips was enough for me in my younger years....

Oh man...I've been to Gulfport a few times. The stories...

David Eickholt just put in a crystal ball prediction for Liam for Vandy with a 7 confidence meter... so there’s that
He's gone.

Too bad Fran didn't have an open assistant spot so we could've just hired Liam's Uncle for the sole purpose of recruiting Liam. I'm sure things like that never happen in college basketball though.

That recruit is class of 2022. So he'd compete with Robbins in 2022-23, just like Mulvey would at IOWA...except he's a much higher rated recruit. Vandy also has 2 other 6'10" guys currently on the roster.

Vandy seems like an odd choice. If it goes that way, we'll all know why

What an outstanding uncle Liam has! Seriously why would he not tell him to go to Iowa? Makes too much sense. Pathetic actually. His uncle is gonna be out of a job next year too as Stackhouse is a shitty coach. Oh well! Next man up!

ADVERTISEMENT