ADVERTISEMENT

Libs, what is your take on AOC’s comments Friday?

Its my prediction. I don’t want it to happen. Let me ask you. Trump wins. What happens in every major city the night or day after the election?
You think I have a crystal ball?
You seem to predict madness. Beware self fulfilling prophecy. You are stirring the pot and seem unaware of how others will run with your words.
Preach peace instead. Stop proposing madness. Just stop.
You obviously are reading crap from those promoting madness. Turn away from that shit. Grow up and think for yourself.

“We’re going to burn your shit. Pick peace or war this November.” That is your quote. I responded to those words. That’s your position. I didn’t realize you are that far gone. Just because I’m predicting it doesn’t mean I support it or want it to happen.
It’s not a position that I’m advocating. It’s my position that this is the choice we are faced with. And I believe you agree that violence and destruction is the likely future if Trump is elected. You owe me a like.

Deep down, I’m a Republican. I’ve never tried to hide that fact. I’ve changed over the years and have more views towards the middle. I’m not trying to disguise myself as a Democrat. Back when we had a thread on where you stand, ranked from 0-100. 0 being as far left as possible and 100 being as far right as possible. I’m a 60. What I have discovered on HROT is that if you say anything positive about the GOP or Trump, you are automatically a Trumpturd. It‘s all or nothing with some of you.

Reactions: Hammer93
It’s not a position that I’m advocating. It’s my position that this is the choice we are faced with. And I believe you agree that violence and destruction is the likely future if Trump is elected. You owe me a like.

War or peace? That’s our only choice? No likes for you.

You think I have a crystal ball?
You seem to predict madness. Beware self fulfilling prophecy. You are stirring the pot and seem unaware of how others will run with your words.
Preach peace instead. Stop proposing madness. Just stop.
You obviously are reading crap from those promoting madness. Turn away from that shit. Grow up and think for yourself.

Did you read @naturalmwa’s post? He’s on your team.

Did you read @naturalmwa’s post? He’s on your team.
Please tell me about the Seminoles. They are my team.
Stop trying to tell me who I am, as you are firing wildly and inaccurately.
You struggle defining yourself. That is OK, as you are at least tying to determine your own identity.
I mean you no ill will.

I’m curious what her comments mean to you?

"Let this moment radicalize you. Let this moment really put everything into stark focus because this election has always been about the fight of and for our lives. And if anything, tonight is making that more clear to more people than ever before.”

What does radicalize mean to you? What do you think it means to her?

"If Mitch McConnell is not going to honor RBG's final wish, we will,”

How, exactly?

“We need to focus on voting for Joe Biden. I don't care if you like him or not,”

Sounds like a ringing endorsement for Biden!

“I want to make one thing clear: we can, and must, fight.”

Now, put the shoe on the other foot. How would you feel if some of those words came from Trump? What if Trump said “Let this moment radicalize you”? Would you find Trump encouraging his base to “fight” threatening?

I said this in another thread, but the left is setting themselves up to riot and loot if Trump wins. Cities will burn.
Many people have posted in this thread telling you what they believe AOC meant with her statement. You didn't agree. I saw a post where you worried about what Antifa and BLM would take from the quote. Are you putting the 2 groups on the same level? How do you think they will interpret it?

You never answered my question in the other thread about other Presidents demonizing a whole segment of society like Trump and some of the current Republicans do the Democrats/left. Did you find any examples? Even AOC didn't go that far in her statement.

Please tell me about the Seminoles. They are my team.
Stop trying to tell me who I am, as you are firing wildly and inaccurately.
You struggle defining yourself. That is OK, as you are at least tying to determine your own identity.
I mean you no ill will.

My apologies for assuming you are a liberal.

Many people have posted in this thread telling you what they believe AOC meant with her statement. You didn't agree. I saw a post where you worried about what Antifa and BLM would take from the quote. Are you putting the 2 groups on the same level? How do you think they will interpret it?

You never answered my question in the other thread about other Presidents demonizing a whole segment of society like Trump and some of the current Republicans do the Democrats/left. Did you find any examples? Even AOC didn't go that far in her statement.

No, I don’t put the two groups on the same level. I actually think there are three groups. BLM who means we’ll and I support their peaceful protests. The 2nd group are using BLM as a cover and excuse to riot and loot. Then there is ANTIFA, which I think fuels the fire to riot and loot. The latter of the two groups, IMO, will interpret her statement as justification to burn it all down.

I must have missed your question in the other thread. Trump is a POS. He is making things worse. I want him gone. I’ll try to find your question in case this didn’t answer it.

"Let this moment radicalize you. Let this moment really put everything into stark focus because this election has always been about the fight of and for our lives. And if anything, tonight is making that more clear to more people than ever before.”

How, exactly?

“We need to focus on voting for Joe Biden. I don't care if you like him or not,”

Now, put the shoe on the other foot. How would you feel if some of those words came from Trump? What if Trump said “Let this moment radicalize you”? Would you find Trump encouraging his base to “fight” threatening?

I said this in another thread, but the left is setting themselves up to riot and loot if Trump wins. Cities will burn.
As a center left guy, I’m not a fan of any inflammatory language from elected officials. “Radicalize” is a poor choice of words. I guess I agree with her sentiment that Dems need to get fired up and vote in overwhelming numbers, but I’m not going be radical about it. I’m just gonna vote.

Reactions: HawkeyeShawn
I personally love how the right is already trying to smear AOC so badly. It gives me hope for the future.

If Trump wins, what do you think happens?
We continue to lose ground versus the rest of the world.

We continue to alienate allies and embrace countries that want to see us destroyed.

Human/civil rights continue to be violated.

Trump and his family/friends continue to profit.

Reactions: gohawks50

How, exactly?

Clearly it means if we don't get our way we are going to pick up our AK47s and AR15s and fight. These colors don't run!!

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that AOC has a history of promoting or encouraging physical destruction.

In this case, I think radicalization means becoming entrenched in and focused on defeating Trump.
She's talking to the younger progressives (her supporters basically) who are still disappointed about Bernie or Warren not being on top of the ticket. Some of them still need to be convinced this is not the time to be cynical about voting for a not as liberal Democrat. I take radicalization to mean voting. Getting off twitter and reddit and making sure you and your friends who are appalled actually vote even if the guy ain't FDR.

Reactions: OrlandNole
Hilarious how AOC saying that you should be radicalized by this moment is somehow worse than Trump saying we need to jail his political opponents for daring to oppose him.

He was calling for this when Hilary Clinton was president too. Wanted to put her in jail.

And lets not also forget that AOC just a house rep. Trump is the president.

Hilarious how AOC saying that you should be radicalized by this moment is somehow worse than Trump saying we need to jail his political opponents for daring to oppose him.

He was calling for this when Hilary Clinton was president too. Wanted to put her in jail.

And lets not also forget that AOC just a house rep. Trump is the president.

It‘s not worse. But others took the thread and made it about what a Trump said. That’s pretty typical with every thread. Anything a Dems says or does, Trump has done something worse. That doesn’t make it ok.

I got the answer I was looking for. The liberals here all interpreted her “radicalize” as get out and vote. My point is, maybe she should have just said that. Poor choice of words that can be misinterpreted, IMO.

I'm not one to buy into the apocalyptic predictions the GOP is belching out daily, I just don't see it.

I'd appreciate a link to any recent protests that have yielded any significant rioting and looting. If it's happening with such frequency, surely someone can post a trustworthy link to it.

It‘s not worse. But others took the thread and made it about what a Trump said. That’s pretty typical with every thread. Anything a Dems says or does, Trump has done something worse. That doesn’t make it ok.

I got the answer I was looking for. The liberals here all interpreted her “radicalize” as get out and vote. My point is, maybe she should have just said that. Poor choice of words that can be misinterpreted, IMO.

Fair enough and when the president stops talking about jailing his opponents by all means hold her feet to the fire on that.

I don't like her very much myself, I only like her slightly more than I like Trump. But I have trouble worrying about her at this particular moment because she's just a House rep. If she becomes the Dem nominee for president than I'll find her and what she says to be more concerning.

Probably more pleasant than a person that gets bitchy about benign comments made by a house rep from another state.

Reread my original post. All asked was what the liberals thought about her comment. Did I bitch or whine? I will give the left credit, you guys attack in groups, and usually resort to name calling. Only a few have engaged in meaningful discussion.

Reread my original post. All asked was what the liberals thought about her comment. Did I bitch or whine? I will give the left credit, you guys attack in groups, and usually resort to name calling. Only a few have engaged in meaningful discussion.
If you were to spend some time at https://www.reddit.com/r/SandersForPresident/ you would see more of who AOC was talking to. Most Sanders supporters are behind Joe this time because they agree Trump is a threat, but there are still a lot of progressives who plan to vote Green or not vote and don't care if Trump is elected because Biden isn't as progressive as they would like (just the most progressive platform since FDR but that's an argument to have with them and not you).

These are not anarchists or rioters she's talking to. They're liberal young people living in Brooklyn and the people like them in other parts of the country.

Fair enough and when the president stops talking about jailing his opponents by all means hold her feet to the fire on that.

I don't like her very much myself, I only like her slightly more than I like Trump. But I have trouble worrying about her at this particular moment because she's just a House rep. If she becomes the Dem nominee for president than I'll find her and what she says to be more concerning.

The left tends to downplay AOC. She‘s just a congresswoman from NY. Her fan base is growing, though. She gets more attention than any other freshman in Congress. Meanwhile, the right jumps on her every word and claims that’s what the Dems think and want. It’s likely somewhere in between. The progressive movement has been fueled under Trump. The more progressive the Dem party gets, the further I lean right.

The left tends to downplay AOC. She‘s just a congresswoman from NY. Her fan base is growing, though. She gets more attention than any other freshman in Congress. Meanwhile, the right jumps on her every word and claims that’s what the Dems think and want. It’s likely somewhere in between. The progressive movement has been fueled under Trump. The more progressive the Dem party gets, the further I lean right.

I'm not a big fan of AOC and consider myself a centrist Democrat. However, I saw this a couple weeks ago and it pretty much hits the nail on the head. These younger progressives aren't "true" democrats. They are a product of our FUBAR two-party system.

91342867_10115463317684253_6582297471454543872_n.jpg

Reactions: HawkeyeShawn

No sh*t. So a three page thread about her comment is probably overkill.

It was so fueled that in a head to head matchup with the progressive wing's leader the moderate wing dominated?

I agree with you that the progressive wing is a significant minority of the party and I would venture that AOC is essentially the future leader of that movement given Sander's and Warren's age.

I don't agree with you that they fully control the party. In head to head match-ups the moderate wing won the last two primary cycles.

Quite frankly I expect the moderate wing to continue to win because as of right now the progressive wing has a diversity problem. It hasn't attracted a lot of support of black voters.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2020/03/bernie-sanders-black-voters/607789/ said:
Sanders has admitted that his 2016 campaign was “too white.” Indeed, his inability to excite a large group of voters beyond his majority-white base led to a pummeling across the South. Older black voters knew Clinton; Sanders was the one rolling the boulder uphill. He lost the black vote by 90 percent in Arkansas, by 86 percent in South Carolina, and by 89 percent in Tennessee. In Missouri, where he lost by the slim margin of 0.2 percent, he lost the black vote by 67 percent.

For many voters, the 2016 election was their first introduction to the Vermont senator with the unkempt hair and radical ideas. He knew more people would know his name if he ran again in 2020, but he needed to do more: He needed to hire a more diverse staff, attend events at historically black colleges and universities, speak to black media and black people directly, and, perhaps more than anything, listen to black voices.
He did all that. But despite his efforts, the support never quite materialized. From the South Carolina primary through Super Tuesday, among black voters, Sanders was trounced by former Vice President Joe Biden. Sanders offered a revolution; voters rebuffed it. The black people who did support Sanders tended to be younger—and young people tend to vote at lower rates than older people do.
Tonight, exit polls showed that Sanders lost the black vote in Mississippi by 71 points—84 percent of black voters supported Biden, and just 13 percent supported Sanders. Sanders’s performance among black voters was just 2 percentage points better than it was in 2016. Cable networks called the race as soon as the polls closed: another decisive victory in the South for Biden.

84 to 13 among black voters isn't going to win you the election.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT