ADVERTISEMENT

Lickliter just completed his 3rd year at Evansville.

TampaHawkfan

HR All-American
Jan 8, 2005
For whoever is curious, and since we often like to keep tabs on what our former coaches are up to these days, Todd Lickliter just completed his third year at Evansville:

Overall record of 15-53 (.221).

A quick Google search of news headlines turns up a lot of themes familiar to his time at Iowa: AD vote of confidence (and now a search for a new AD), historically bad season, program at a crossroads, state of the program articles, season ended fittingly with a blowout loss, etc. etc.

He is example number 1 as to why any talk of a coaching change in either men's b-ball or football should begin with an AD change first.
It is a critical part of the job hiring someone at this level to be able to see through the superficial resume highlights and get to some deeper insight into who he's bringing in. I have zero confidence in the current occupant of the AD position at Iowa in accomplishing that.

And yet the National Association of Basketball Coaches named that very same Todd Lickliter the best coach in the country back in 2007. Never forget that when you think someone wins an award who doesn't deserve it.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
Going into his fourth year Lick will have fully implemented his system and will have the players he wants. I would guess you are looking at a first place conference finish and a likely March to the sweet 16. He will show everyone he knows what he is doing! Lol. I will never understand how he was so bad…

He is example number 1 as to why any talk of a coaching change in either men's b-ball or football should begin with an AD change first.
It is a critical part of the job hiring someone at this level to be able to see through the superficial resume highlights and get to some deeper insight into who he's bringing in. I have zero confidence in the current occupant of the AD position at Iowa in accomplishing that.
How's that working for Nebraska?

😉

• Love
Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
Stevens' first two years as an assistant coach anywhere were the first two seasons Lick was the HC at Butler. Tough to claim that as a rookie assistant Stevens was immediately the mastermind for those two conference championships and a Sweet 16 run. Probably better to say that Thad Motta built the team and Lick was able to reap the benefits. Four years later when Butler finally got back to that level, then a strong case can be made for Stevens being a (if not THE) key factor.

Lick is a plodder. He could take over a system already in place and be successful, perpetuating what others had built. The "Butler Way" preceded and survived him. Lick's not a visionary nor very innovative. He's not good at building or implementing something new.

I'll never forget his first press conference after being hired, he looked petrified. You could tell immediately he was not going to work out.
Basically didn't he claim he took the job bc his son said 'Dad, its the B1G. You have to take it'. If I'm remembering correctly. If so that explains a lot.

Reactions: Ronman
22% success rate after three years is awful. How he gets a fourth is beyond me. NFL head coaches won’t sniff a second season with that kind of success rate.

Fun fact: Evansville’s most famous native is Don Mattingly. Even he could probably muster a better winning percentage than Lick. He was a pretty good HS hoopster himself.

Going into his fourth year Lick will have fully implemented his system and will have the players he wants. I would guess you are looking at a first place conference finish and a likely March to the sweet 16. He will show everyone he knows what he is doing! Lol. I will never understand how he was so bad…
Its too easy to poke fun at Lackluster....but why bother....we have our own problems with a joke of a coach.

Stevens' first two years as an assistant coach anywhere were the first two seasons Lick was the HC at Butler. Tough to claim that as a rookie assistant Stevens was immediately the mastermind for those two conference championships and a Sweet 16 run. Probably better to say that Thad Motta built the team and Lick was able to reap the benefits. Four years later when Butler finally got back to that level, then a strong case can be made for Stevens being a (if not THE) key factor.

Lick is a plodder. He could take over a system already in place and be successful, perpetuating what others had built. The "Butler Way" preceded and survived him. Lick's not a visionary nor very innovative. He's not good at building or implementing something new.
You give him way too much credit. He was sandwiched between two great coaches. Classic example if being in the right place at the right time.

I went to Hinkle earlier this season. Walked the corridor with painted murals/pics of players, nothing about Lick.
Somewhere in there I'd guess there's a small plaque honoring his NCOY award.

and the day after we hired him, Butler fans were telling us that on this site. How the F*** our AD couldn't find that out is beyond comprehension. I know...water under the bridge...but FFS
Well, Barta. Whattya gonna say? Can't find his ass with one hand, let alone both.

He should apply to be Kirk's Offensive Coordinator.

Reactions: littlez
and the day after we hired him, Butler fans were telling us that on this site. How the F*** our AD couldn't find that out is beyond comprehension. I know...water under the bridge...but FFS
True. I remember how happy they were to keep Brad Stevens.

I’m not some fan of our AD….but his hires are winning big this last year.

For whoever is curious, and since we often like to keep tabs on what our former coaches are up to these days, Todd Lickliter just completed his third year at Evansville:

A quick Google search of news headlines turns up a lot of themes familiar to his time at Iowa: AD vote of confidence (and now a search for a new AD), historically bad season, program at a crossroads, state of the program articles, season ended fittingly with a blowout loss, etc. etc.
Now to be fair, he said he needed seven years to turn it around at Iowa.

Now you know why Barta keeps Fran around. He's terrified of hiring a coach that bombs again. Better to ride an average coach than to put your neck on the line trying to find a great one...

22% success rate after three years is awful. How he gets a fourth is beyond me. NFL head coaches won’t sniff a second season with that kind of success rate.

Fun fact: Evansville’s most famous native is Don Mattingly. Even he could probably muster a better winning percentage than Lick. He was a pretty good HS hoopster himself.
Lick should get a break for his first season, which was as an interim to replace the previous interim who replaced Walter McCarty. Nobody was going to win any games in that sad situation. After that it’s all on him.

I went back and watched some of the Lick pressers at Iowa. I can't believe he was our head coach.
I watched some of his pressers at Butler which was why I was not too excited about his hire. I was hoping I would be wrong when many seemed so excited about hiring the NCOY. He was such a boring interview.

Reactions: GOHOX69
I watched some of his pressers at Butler which was why I was not too excited about his hire. I was hoping I would be wrong when many seemed so excited about hiring the NCOY. He was such a boring interview.
One time Todd Lickleiter darted in front of my car. I slammed the brakes. I could have minimally crippled him. Sorry Hawkeye nation ;)

Kirk and his daughter did that also but Kirk did the I'm sorry wave and jogged off. Todd looked perplexed hehe.

I actually wish Lickliter well.

I'll never forget his first press conference after being hired, he looked petrified. You could tell immediately he was not going to work out.
Agree 100. Soon after he was hired he came to a Polk County IClub golf outing and was asked to speak before golfers teed off… He was a deer in headlights.

One time Todd Lickleiter darted in front of my car. I slammed the brakes. I could have minimally crippled him. Sorry Hawkeye nation ;)

Kirk and his daughter did that also but Kirk did the I'm sorry wave and jogged off. Todd looked perplexed hehe.
Dude come on. Lick never "darted" anywhere. That guy lived in slow motion. The fact that this thread is even here TWELVE years after the guys been gone tells you all you need to know about how scarred the fans are by his time in Iowa City.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT