ADVERTISEMENT

Life as a G

frege5

Rookie
Aug 16, 2003
Watching the 1999 Iowa/Arkansas NCAA tournament game.

I don't think I actually watched this at the time, as I was hostage to the Gonzaga/Stanford game on the West Coast CBS feed...I def remember seeing the score turn from great to bad in the first half.

Fun game to watch if you are looking for memorable games -- Jaacks and Settles, Dean Oliver pushing through sickness, Bauer's constant scowl, a billion turnovers. Plus, this copy keeps the old 1999 commercials, with an absolutely awful Godfather's Pizza ad.

Question: Is this the year Settles -- due to seniority and back pain -- was able to check himself in and out of games without checking with the coaching staff? I vaguely remember that during at least one of his 10 years of eligibility...

I don't think I actually watched this at the time, as I was hostage to the Gonzaga/Stanford game on the West Coast CBS feed...I def remember seeing the score turn from great to bad in the first half.

Fun game to watch if you are looking for memorable games -- Jaacks and Settles, Dean Oliver pushing through sickness, Bauer's constant scowl, a billion turnovers. Plus, this copy keeps the old 1999 commercials, with an absolutely awful Godfather's Pizza ad.

Question: Is this the year Settles -- due to seniority and back pain -- was able to check himself in and out of games without checking with the coaching staff? I vaguely remember that during at least one of his 10 years of eligibility...

Lol.

Guy Rucker. Had completely forgotten about him.

My recollection is that Dr. Tom had the substitution policy that if a player checked himself out that he could check himself back in with the qualifier that Davis could override the substitution. I don’t think he overrode it much as it defeated the purpose of encouraging people to come out when they were tired.

if Davis took you out, then the player had to wait for Davis to put him back in. I don’t think that policy was unique to Settles final year to answer the question.

Last edited:
Oliver's no look, wrap-around , behind the back pass to Settles for the dunk might be one of my favorite assists of all time.

Wow, thanks OP for the link. That team was really fun to watch.
Dean-O and Jacob jaaccks was the man.

Believe I watched this while on a spring break, SKi trip to Breckenridge, back in the day.

Oliver's no look, wrap-around , behind the back pass to Settles for the dunk might be one of my favorite assists of all time.
Iowa got down by 13 early in the 2nd half; won by 10. Crazy 23 point swing.

It was an 11 year drought (1988-1999) between Sweet 16 appearances.

And now we are in a 21 year drought. 21 freakin' years. Hard to believe.

Here is a 90 second clip that shows that sweet Dean Oliver pass to Grandpa Settles.

Watch:

Last edited:
I believe he had a cup of coffee in the NBA. Think he works retail nowadays

without Kent the hawks get crushed.

old man Jess Settles lumbering around the court

Talked to an Iowa hoops fan a couple months ago in Charlotte. Seemed like a solid fan talking about Iowa's season and was around my age (46) until he made a Crack about Iowa upgrading from the "no talent days of Kent MacCausland".

Kent was physically limited to some extent, but talk about a dude who knew his game and played within it. He was an assassin when given anything close to an open look from 3.

Remind me...why did Iowa fire Davis?

Recruiting was steadily going down hill. We never lost on the 1st round of the NCAA, but we had just loss in the NIT first round and were increasingly getting to the NIT or not making post season at all.

To the extent he was "fired" (I don't care about the distinction of fired versus contract not renewed), it was at the end of the 97-98 season. Iowa was coming off a first round NIT loss, had failed to make the NCAA in 3 of 5 years and had not made a sweet 16 in 10 years. Additionally, the inability to land top in state recruits was signalling a change in the status of the program.

The fact that subsequent hires did not reverse these trends does not mean that the trend was not occurring during Dr. Tom's tenure.

By the way, I like Dr. Tom and think he was a good coach.

Seems like yesterday that I remember seeing/hearing all those names on the ole TV. I think a lot of ESPN+ at that time? Airing on the local fox stations

JR Koch!
McCausland
Settles
Dean Oliver.... Just awesome to watch

Reactions: BlackNGoldBleeder
I just want to note...Nolan Richardson's Arkansas teams were so much fun to watch. The 40 minutes of Hell era teams were some of my favorite non-Iowa teams.

Recruiting was steadily going down hill. We never lost on the 1st round of the NCAA, but we had just loss in the NIT first round and were increasingly getting to the NIT or not making post season at all.

To the extent he was "fired" (I don't care about the distinction of fired versus contract not renewed), it was at the end of the 97-98 season. Iowa was coming off a first round NIT loss, had failed to make the NCAA in 3 of 5 years and had not made a sweet 16 in 10 years. Additionally, the inability to land top in state recruits was signalling a change in the status of the program.

The fact that subsequent hires did not reverse these trends does not mean that the trend was not occurring during Dr. Tom's tenure.

By the way, I like Dr. Tom and think he was a good coach.

The above, and most of that was caused by poor coaching judgement on use of the press. It created TOs against weaker teams, but gave away points against good teams. And Davis never made the in-game adjustments. He showed Knight was correct by calling the press "fools gold".

Reactions: jimbob22
The above, and most of that was caused by poor coaching judgement on use of the press. It created TOs against weaker teams, but gave away points against good teams. And Davis never made the in-game adjustments. He showed Knight was correct by calling the press "fools gold".
The press, which was easily shredded by good teams, was painful to watch. That and the constant substitutions because of the press. I quit watching the Hawks during most of the Davis years.

Dear God…What did you do during the Lickliter years? Move into a biodome?

69ba3de170307eff3b7cfd9e9c5816a6e3092fced98280f342b0bf2c41de4e7b_1.gif

Reactions: nu2u
ADVERTISEMENT