ADVERTISEMENT

Life is easy, or is hard which is it?

seer_hawk

HR Legend
Gold Member
Dec 21, 2001
I've spent most of my life seeing what is good, and believing in that. In my mid 50's to early 60's I'm living paycheck to paycheck. Did I give up too soon, or did I overlook reality? I do believe in God.

I've spent most of my life seeing what is good, and believing in that. In my mid 50's to early 60's I'm living paycheck to paycheck. Did I give up too soon, or did I overlook reality? I do believe in God.
You probably undersaved and overspent.

Reactions: CharYoteHawk
Life is hard. By asking if you've given up too soon, it implies that you've given up. If that's the case then, yes, it's too soon. You can still start a new career in your 50s.

i-cant-handle-life-meme.jpg

Reactions: QChawks
I you're mid 50's to early 60's and living pay check to pay check you're doing it wrong...

Or, you're doing it right and you had life experiences and pursued passions that mean more to you than economic security does.

Life is hard. A lot of people that you look at that are not living paycheck to paycheck are suffering in ways you have no idea of.

But its always been hard, real hard. It's certainly never been easier.

Or, you're doing it right and you had life experiences and pursued passions that mean more to you than economic security does. Life is hard. A lot of people that you look at that are not living paycheck to paycheck are suffering in ways you have no idea of.

On this topic I've always been a proponent of striking a middle ground...

Reactions: NDallasRuss
I have a cushy job that pays me more than I'm worth. I have a large savings with both my kids college pretty much paid for. I have a wife of 13 years that makes about as much as I do. I'm on pace for a comfortable retirement. I do not believe in god.

On this topic I've always been a proponent of striking a middle ground...

This is the right answer. Too many people I know saved every penny for that magical time of retirement and skipped on opportunities when they were younger - only to be taken by illness within a few months after they quit working. I have an uncle facing that right now unfortunately.

Plus, there are a lot of things most can’t do when you’re in your 60’s - from a purely physical standpoint.

Don’t blow it all, but don’t pass up that killer downhill mountain bike trip in the Alps that you’ve always wanted to go on if the opportunity arises. If you’re still around when you’re 65+, you’re knees and back aren’t going to allow for it anyway.

Living paycheck to paycheck and being poor aren't the same.

If you have a lot saved and you keep the spending limited to what your currently making, fine.

If your broke and living paycheck to paycheck, well then I guess the rest of us are about to be funding your existence in the coming years.

ADVERTISEMENT