ADVERTISEMENT

Liking the new AP poll!

Very nice entry into the polls for a squad with new found success. Keep taking a tough minded approach on the defensive end and things should fall into place nicely this season.
The polls are irrelevant right now, but it’s funny seeing Oregon ranked two spots ahead of Iowa
I mean they have Bol Bol, of course they are better than Iowa.

That’s what I meant, and I appreciate you posting them. Didn’t want to come across as worked up about Iowa’s spot, just making an observation.

Disagree. The polls are always relevant. Would you rather the Hawks be unranked right now and getting no national pub or national media attention? I personally would rather see Iowa always have a little number next to them, always on Sportscenter, and generally talked about. It's great for the program, and great for recruiting.

Disagree. The polls are always relevant. Would you rather the Hawks be unranked right now and getting no national pub or national media attention? I personally would rather see Iowa always have a little number next to them, always on Sportscenter, and generally talked about. It's great for the program, and great for recruiting.
Absolutely. As myteam better put it, I meant that, this early in the year, polls are irrelevant as they pertain to what things will look like at the end of the year...

...which is a totally captain obvious statement, but one I only made to qualify that I wasn’t actually worked up about Iowa’s position in the polls.

Sorry for the confusion

images

Tennessee @ 5
Nevada @ 6

Guess I haven't been paying attention to basketball much. Seems strange for those teams to be ranked that high, especially Nevada.

Fun to see the Hawks ranked again!

While I really don't care about polls this time of year, I recognize the branding and marketing relevance. Particularly to the less involved fans or those that don't follow the B1G teams closely. More so for recruits.

While I really don't care about polls this time of year, I recognize the branding and marketing relevance. Particularly to the less involved fans or those that don't follow the B1G teams closely. More so for recruits.

Every little bit helps. Being ranked means your highlights get shown on SportsCenter and your scores are featured on the first page of ESPN men's hoops homepage. Iowa could actually stay in through December with a good month. Were Iowa to win all of its home games, win the Des Moines game against UNI and lose at Michigan State, Hawks would head into the game at Purdue on Jan. 3 in the Top 15 for sure.

Reactions: rondy
With the teams that played in the 2k Classic, and the way it shaked out with Iowa being so dominant, we should be ranked. Probably even higher, considering there were two teams in the top 16.

But what really matters is keeping our newly found ranking. We will if we Keep up that defensive intensity. Love it!

We need to be 8-1 or 7-2 in these next 9 games. That'll keep us ranked into January. When we face Purdue for the remainder of the B1G season... That's a lot of positive pub for the Hawks. Great for 2020 recruiting and beyond. The momentum could really start to roll!

Reactions: ZumaHawk
Here is a perfect example of the politics of the coaches polls. There is no way Oregon should be ahead of Iowa when we just beat them on a neutral court and by a wide margin. Polls should not be about potential, but about results. Here is an example of coaches looking at recruiting rankings, Iowa's recent history, and not the results of the most recent games. Especially after beating Oregon, then a 19 point victory over UConn. This is why I trust the AP poll before I trust the coaches poll.

Here is a perfect example of the politics of the coaches polls. There is no way Oregon should be ahead of Iowa when we just beat them on a neutral court and by a wide margin. Polls should not be about potential, but about results. Here is an example of coaches looking at recruiting rankings, Iowa's recent history, and not the results of the most recent games. Especially after beating Oregon, then a 19 point victory over UConn. This is why I trust the AP poll before I trust the coaches poll.

The AP does that too. 2-2 Villanova is "ranked" (they are in the others receiving votes section) ahead of 5-0 Furman, who just beat Villanova.

Not bad for a team that has been "playing just like last year" and has a coach that has "never coached defense before".

Reactions: nu2u
We know Michigan is good, but Villanova getting beat by Ferman University on Villanova's home court takes a little of the luster off of Michigan's win.
Not criticizing Michigan as they deserve where they're ranked. They're good!

Very nice entry into the polls for a squad with new found success. Keep taking a tough minded approach on the defensive end and things should fall into place nicely this season.

I mean they have Bol Bol, of course they are better than Iowa.

Wow, were those Bozos on ESPN trying to hype this kid, or what.
He needs to get in BB shape first

The polls are always important. Go to ESPN or Fox website. Top 25 teams are the first scores you see. The internet and TV media highlight the Top 25 teams....that's millions of more eyes learning these words "No. 20 University of Iowa Hawkeyes ..." Its great for PR which is great for TV which is great for recruiting which is how you stay in the Top 25.

Now the boys have to stay in the Top 25 for another 30 or so games.

Reactions: ZumaHawk
Not bad for a team that has been "playing just like last year" and has a coach that has "never coached defense before".
boy you really do nothing about Fran. from 2013 thru 16 the adj defensive ranking 33rd at best and 75th at its worst. please crawl back into whatever hole you crawled out of.

The Hawkeyes have 3 challenges coming up starting
Nov. 30, Dec, 3, and Dec. 6. They will play Wisconsin,
Michigan St. and Iowa St. in 3 consecutive games. It is
possible we will then know whether Iowa is a serious
contender to stay ranked in the AP Top 20.

Reactions: HawkandTackle
I’m usually all about ‘one game at a time’ and ‘wait till March’ but I’m choosing to celebrate now, to puff out my chest and predict a sweet 16 run. Past basketball seasons have taught me that it can and probably will go south in a hurry later so dang it I’m having fun with it now while I can.

Reactions: iabcuda
ADVERTISEMENT