Glosser, Jerren Gold Divsion (Open)149
Lugo, Patricio Gold Divsion (Open)149
Shaw, John Keegan Gold Divsion (Open)149
McDonald, Tristan Gold Divsion (Open)157
McQuillen, Logan Gold Divsion (Open)165
Moody, Jeremiah Gold Divsion (Open)165
Brownlee, Cade Gold Divsion (Open)197
Warner, Jacob Gold Divsion (Open)197
I believe this confirms that Stickley's shirt is pulled and will be wrestling in the duals...

I can see Costello still being in the Black as Luther was not that tough in the 275 class. I'd like to see Murin going gold though just to see where he is but we can get an idea I guess by how Happel does. This is a very tough open.

Last edited:
Reactions: WDuck5217
Looks like Missouri, Oklahoma, Northern Illinois and West Virginia are sending their A teams to this. Illinois, Purdue and Wisky with some guys as well plus always a number of tough kids from the lower divisions in that area. Michigan sending one of their top 125 prospects.

Reactions: andegre
I hate the Murin thing just because of what the perception already is about Iowa. If you're an elite wrestler, not only will you not wrestle your true freshman year, you will wrestle the equivalent of a JV tournament instead of facing tough competition. I get it for some guys, but not Murin. You can debate his eliteness but he is a great recruit that shouldn't be babied through the process nor wants to I would bet.

Unfortunately I think this was the open last year that streamed on Flo while running the tournament on track but didn't use the dashboard. Gonna frustrate a lot of folks if they do it again.

99% chance Murin is going to redshirt and 100% chance Happel is not. Maybe they want to see Happel against people other than his own teammates and don't want them to meet in the second or third round. They also know how good Murin is and are ok letting him go massacre a bunch of guys his own age since he has been grinding it out in the room for the last couple months against a bunch of studs. This tactic did not seem to slow Kemmerer down.

isu sending a bunch as well..

iawrestle

Allison, Jakob Black Divsion (Fresh/Soph) 125 Iowa State University
Marmolejo, Jonathan Gold Divsion (Open) 125 Iowa State University
Parker, Ian Gold Divsion (Open) 133 Iowa State University
Simmons, Markus Gold Divsion (Open) 133 Iowa State University
Storr, Kanen Gold Divsion (Open) 141 Iowa State University
Vazquez, Kristian Gold Divsion (Open) 141 Iowa State University
Degen, Jarrett Gold Divsion (Open) 149 Iowa State University
DeWitt, Gavin Gold Divsion (Open) 149 Iowa State University
Leisure, Ryan Black Divsion (Fresh/Soph) 149 Iowa State University
Lundgren, Tanner Black Divsion (Fresh/Soph) 149 Iowa State University
Rodriguez, Dante Gold Divsion (Open) 149 Iowa State University
Wesley, Anthony Gold Divsion (Open) 149 Iowa State University
DiBlasi, Colston Gold Divsion (Open) 157 Iowa State University
Jennings, Brady Gold Divsion (Open) 157 Iowa State University
Straw, Chase Gold Divsion (Open) 157 Iowa State University
Breitenbach, Logan Gold Divsion (Open) 165 Iowa State University
Entriken, Taylan Black Divsion (Fresh/Soph) 165 Iowa State University
Coleman, Marcus Black Divsion (Fresh/Soph) 174 Iowa State University
Entzel, Luke Gold Divsion (Open) 174 Iowa State University
Franklin, DeMichael Black Divsion (Fresh/Soph) 174 Iowa State University
Morrison, Tucker Black Divsion (Fresh/Soph) 174 Iowa State University
Southard, Maxwell Black Divsion (Fresh/Soph) 174 Iowa State University
Strickland, Colin Gold Divsion (Open) 174 Iowa State University
Swalla, Hank Gold Divsion (Open) 174 Iowa State University
Bush, Daniel Gold Divsion (Open) 184 Iowa State University
Pestano, Dane Gold Divsion (Open) 184 Iowa State University
Colbray, Samuel Gold Divsion (Open) 197 Iowa State University
Gremmel, Gannon Gold Divsion (Open) 285 Iowa State University
Harrington, Marcus Gold Divsion (Open) 285 Iowa State University
Nolting, Nick Gold Divsion (Open) 285 Iowa State University

Reactions: Dagboi
99% chance Murin is going to redshirt and 100% chance Happel is not. Maybe they want to see Happel against people other than his own teammates and don't want them to meet in the second or third round. They also know how good Murin is and are ok letting him go massacre a bunch of guys his own age since he has been grinding it out in the room for the last couple months against a bunch of studs. This tactic did not seem to slow Kemmerer down.
Weak.

Strong...

Not telling TnT how do anything but like someone else mention we have 3 197 using some money..
Now we have 3 at 141 Happel, Murin, and Turk really Murin should be in starting line up next year or at least maybe still Turk but gosh again 2 good guys have to sit.It doesn't look like Happel or Murin can make 133.

Reactions: TarpHawk
Not telling TnT how do anything but like someone else mention we have 3 197 using some money..
Now we have 3 at 141 Happel, Murin, and Turk really Murin should be in starting line up next year or at least maybe still Turk but gosh again 2 good guys have to sit.It doesn't look like Happel or Murin can make 133.

Not sure Wilke is a true 197, we just have needed him there. Not sure Holloway is a real big $ investment. Maybe Turk or Happel were seen as possible 149 when recruited? We do seem little too invested at 141 for whatever reason but part of it may be old recruiting thinking vs new. All depends on how much money is tied up vs how many are there.

I assume Glosser must be a big 149lber and cant make the cut to 141. I think he would be our best guy at that weight if he was capable of making the cut.

Excited to see how warner does, he'll have miklus and smith from West Virginia in his bracket
Miklus is ranked 3rd and Smith is 7th. If Warner beats either one of these guys, how do you not burn the shirt and let him wrestle this year. Move Wilcke to 184 and get Holloway out of the lineup.

Last edited:
Miklus is ranked 3rd and Smith is 7th. If Warner beats either one of these guys how do not burn the shirt and let him wrestle this year. Move Wilcke to 184 and get Holloway out of the lineup.
I think the Coaches are aware that guys like Warner and Lee already have the potential to beat some highly ranked opponents early on in their career, so I doubt him beating either one would sway them much for the current "plan". He might win both, he might lose both (should it happen that he matches up with both somehow). Don't think it changes anything other than he got a good test win or lose.

And, don't forget about Downey in second half of season.

Reactions: Dagboi
Miklus is ranked 3rd and Smith is 7th. If Warner beats either one of these guys how do not burn the shirt and let him wrestle this year. Move Wilcke to 184 and get Holloway out of the lineup.

According to Intermat, 11 of the top 14 wrestlers at 197 are seniors; Wilcke is one of the three non-seniors in the top 14, and he presumably moves to 184 next season. So, of the top 14, 12 won't be in this weight class next year. I certainly understand your desire to see Warner on the mat asap, and Iowa fans have been deferring gratification since 2010, but if you take the long view, Warner has a much easier path next year and he'll be a year older and stronger, with a year in the Iowa room under his belt. If you agree that everyone is competing for 3rd place behind PSU and tOSU this year, why not hold him back?

According to Intermat, 11 of the top 14 wrestlers at 197 are seniors; Wilcke is one of the three non-seniors in the top 14, and he presumably moves to 184 next season. So, of the top 14, 12 won't be in this weight class next year. I certainly understand your desire to see Warner on the mat asap, and Iowa fans have been deferring gratification since 2010, but if you take the long view, Warner has a much easier path next year and he'll be a year older and stronger, with a year in the Iowa room under his belt. If you agree that everyone is competing for 3rd place behind PSU and tOSU this year, why not hold him back?

No one knows what the season will bring. Warnerov will be allowed to wrestle next year even if he fails to become a NC this season.

You make good points. But if he can beat a top 3 guy now and he’s willing to burn the shirt then I think he should be able to decide for himself. Wrestling this year has no effect on next year. He will be a sophomore and all those seniors will still be gone. It only means his last year will be 2020-2021 instead of 2021-2022 and IMO that’s too far out to project what will happen.

Reactions: moug and el dub
Warner is going to be fantastic over the next five years, but matching up with Miklus and Smith will be no picnic. Warner's inexperience still shows. He was whipped pretty good by Moore in freestyle and I believe he narrowly escaped a pin from the Div III champ (before majoring him). If he can take Smith and/or Miklus at this stage of his career, it is impressive as hell. In either case, I will be attending at Lindenwood to watch it live.

Reactions: TailgateTom
Sounds like a lot of good competition. Not sure why some of the better freshman get held back from the top division. It doesn't seem like there is a lot of consistency with who gets held back.

When does wrestling start on Saturday?

You make good points. But if he can beat a top 3 guy now and he’s willing to burn the shirt then I think he should be able to decide for himself. Wrestling this year has no effect on next year. He will be a sophomore and all those seniors will still be gone. It only means his last year will be 2020-2021 instead of 2021-2022 and IMO that’s too far out to project what will happen.
I mean it is and isn't to far out to project anything. I project Warner has a better shot at a national title in 2021-2022 than in 2017-2018. If you're ever going to redshirt Warner, now is the time to do it. With each year he gets better and better, his title chances get better and better, hopefully the Hawks title chances get better and better, and it becomes harder and harder to ever redshirt him barring injury.

I mean it is and isn't to far out to project anything. I project Warner has a better shot at a national title in 2021-2022 than in 2017-2018. If you're ever going to redshirt Warner, now is the time to do it. With each year he gets better and better, his title chances get better and better, hopefully the Hawks title chances get better and better, and it becomes harder and harder to ever redshirt him barring injury.

Hopefully.....,,,,

Unfortunately, while the staff has recently elevated their game to focus on landing top ten recruits, the mentality of needing to polish top 50 kids for a season or two before they are ready to see mat time still persists.

Where does it say a talented kid has to be a shoe in to win a NC in order to see the mat as a frosh?

And how can you be sure that someone won’t be injured during their career and need a redshirt season to recuperate?

This mind set needs to change, imo. I see no evidence that putting the best man at any given weight on the shelf simply to mature has paid off for the Hawks as of late. Injuries happen frequently in this sport. And I’ve seen a number of hawks over the years who have FAILED to have a stellar senior season after being kept on the shelf as a freshman.

This is a brave new world. And there has still never been a match wrestled in the future.

This current season is more important than worrying about what might happen in 2021-2022, imo.

Hopefully.....,,,,

Unfortunately, while the staff has recently elevated their game to focus on landing top ten recruits, the mentality of needing to polish top 50 kids for a season or two before they are ready to see mat time still persists.

Where does it say a talented kid has to be a shoe in to win a NC in order to see the mat as a frosh?

And how can you be sure that someone won’t be injured during their career and need a redshirt season to recuperate?

This mind set needs to change, imo. I see no evidence that putting the best man at any given weight on the shelf simply to mature has paid off for the Hawks as of late. Injuries happen frequently in this sport. And I’ve seen a number of hawks over the years who have FAILED to have a stellar senior season after being kept on the shelf as a freshman.

This is a brave new world. And there has still never been a match wrestled in the future.

This current season is more important than worrying about what might happen in 2021-2022, imo.
And if the wrestler himself prefers to redshirt, get stronger and polish his technique?

And if the wrestler himself prefers to redshirt, get stronger and polish his technique?
If a kid for 100% certainty wants to redshirt, then you better have that conversation long before they get to school and into the room.

Pretty clear some aren't interested in that route. However, to each his own, and it's their life so they should certainly have some say in how it goes.

Unless he gets an alias, posts here anonomously with great vigor
2mo5pow.gif

and threatens to take someone out into the parking lot for a "lesson in manners" every so often..............
snapoutofit.gif

Well you get what I'm saying I guess.............
4869.gif

Reactions: butchinmi
Hopefully.....,,,,

If a kid for 100% certainty wants to redshirt, then you better have that conversation long before they get to school and into the room.

Pretty clear some aren't interested in that route. However, to each his own, and it's their life so they should certainly have some say in how it goes.
Just curious who was redshirted that should have been put into service?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT