ADVERTISEMENT

Lindenwood Open

Just

Just curious who was redshirted that should have been put into service?

Unfortunately, if you look at the recent history of landing top ten kids, Iowa lags far behind the current leaders.

Btw, McD would have been well served to have a red shirt available for injury rather than polish, imo.

I’ve seen a number of Iowa wrestlers who appeared burned out by their fifth year in the program. And they all
sat out for a year of polishing before competing for four straight seasons.

Unfortunately, if you look at the recent history of landing top ten kids, Iowa lags far behind the current leaders.

Btw, McD would have been well served to have a red shirt available for injury rather than polish, imo.

I’ve seen a number of Iowa wrestlers who appeared burned out by their fifth year in the program. And they all
You do realize McD won a title the first year after redshirting. Pretty sure he wrestled 133 all year his true freshman year and didn't have a year that screamed Hawkeye great. He got hurt going into his sr year. It happens. I think his red shirt served him well. Bad example.

You do realize McD won a title the first year after redshirting. Pretty sure he wrestled 133 all year his freshman year. He got hurt going into his sr year. It happens. I think his red shirt served him well. Bad example.

McD might have had a better true frosh season than his fifth year when hampered with a major injury.

Reactions: butchinmi
You do realize McD won a title the first year after redshirting. Pretty sure he wrestled 133 all year his true freshman year and didn't have a year that screamed Hawkeye great. He got hurt going into his sr year. It happens. I think his red shirt served him well. Bad example.

The results of a true frosh wrestling up a weight can’t really be compared to potential results at optimal weight.

If you talk to Matt he will be the first one to tell you that he both needed and wanted that red shirt year.

McD might have had a better true frosh season than his fifth year when hampered with a major injury.
Maybe. But maybe he can't beat Charlie Falck or Montell Marion at that point.

I also think he's a bad example. I understand the saving a redshirt concept but that would also require getting hurt in the offseason or very early in season otherwise you're going to be recovered the following season anyway.

I don't think the Brands have had anybody to cut loose as a true freshman that they should have.

Really curious to see how Warner does at 97 with Smith and Jacob.

41 will be tough with Eierman, Storr, Longo and Gfeller. Happel has his work cut out for him.

Curious to see how Glosser does at 49 with Lewallen, Jeffries, and Rodriguez.

Reactions: DirkTang1
Murphy, Danny Black Divsion (Fresh/Soph) 141 0.00
Wilson, Miles Black Divsion (Fresh/Soph) 184 0.00
Cook, Sam Black Divsion (Fresh/Soph) 197 0.00
Corbin, Connor Black Divsion (Fresh/Soph) 197 0.00
Perez, Perez Gold Divsion (Open) 125 0.00
Meyer, Aaron Gold Divsion (Open) 141 0.00
Alvarez, Stephen Gold Divsion (Open) 149 0.00
Glosser, Jerren Gold Divsion (Open) 149 0.00
Moody, Jeremiah Gold Divsion (Open) 165 0.00
Brownlee, Cade Gold Divsion (Open) 197 0.00
Warner, Jacob Gold Divsion (Open) 197 0.00
Costello, Aaron Gold Divsion (Open) 285

Now seeing a diminished group listed on track. What gives?

Murphy, Danny Black Divsion (Fresh/Soph) 141 0.00
Wilson, Miles Black Divsion (Fresh/Soph) 184 0.00
Cook, Sam Black Divsion (Fresh/Soph) 197 0.00
Corbin, Connor Black Divsion (Fresh/Soph) 197 0.00
Perez, Perez Gold Divsion (Open) 125 0.00
Meyer, Aaron Gold Divsion (Open) 141 0.00
Alvarez, Stephen Gold Divsion (Open) 149 0.00
Glosser, Jerren Gold Divsion (Open) 149 0.00
Moody, Jeremiah Gold Divsion (Open) 165 0.00
Brownlee, Cade Gold Divsion (Open) 197 0.00
Warner, Jacob Gold Divsion (Open) 197 0.00
Costello, Aaron Gold Divsion (Open) 285

Now seeing a diminished group listed on track. What gives?
Murin, Glynn, Happel, Lugo, Shaw, McDonald, and Mcquillen no longer going. Murphy and Perez added. Costello moves to open division.

Reactions: DirkTang1
Not sure Wilke is a true 197, we just have needed him there. Not sure Holloway is a real big $ investment. Maybe Turk or Happel were seen as possible 149 when recruited? We do seem little too invested at 141 for whatever reason but part of it may be old recruiting thinking vs new. All depends on how much money is tied up vs how many are there.
When was the last time we had a solid 141 lber? Or better yet a 141 lber that meet Hawkeye wrestling expectations.....that is probably why the investment.

Murin, Glynn, Happel, Lugo, Shaw, McDonald, and Mcquillen no longer going. Murphy and Perez added. Costello moves to open division.

Disappointing that Murin, Glynn, Lugo and Happel are not going. I wanted to see Lugo on the mat after being in the room a while. The more matches the better for Murin. I'd rather Happel and Glynn take on some good competition vs possibly going 1 match in the duals.

Hopefully.....,,,,

Unfortunately, while the staff has recently elevated their game to focus on landing top ten recruits, the mentality of needing to polish top 50 kids for a season or two before they are ready to see mat time still persists.

Where does it say a talented kid has to be a shoe in to win a NC in order to see the mat as a frosh?

And how can you be sure that someone won’t be injured during their career and need a redshirt season to recuperate?

This mind set needs to change, imo. I see no evidence that putting the best man at any given weight on the shelf simply to mature has paid off for the Hawks as of late. Injuries happen frequently in this sport. And I’ve seen a number of hawks over the years who have FAILED to have a stellar senior season after being kept on the shelf as a freshman.

This is a brave new world. And there has still never been a match wrestled in the future.

This current season is more important than worrying about what might happen in 2021-2022, imo.

Unless you're attending a wrestling meet at the exact same time you're posting, all matches are wrestled in the future. (No, that's not a very serious post. Feels like something Dwight Schrute would say though.)

I say let the true freshman keep their redshirt in tact. If you pull it and they lose a match some people on this board will just crucify them saying they aren’t the recruits that we thought they would be. We saw that before wrestle offs. There is no room for mistakes. It is all or nothing for some posters. I’m pretty sure TNT know what they are doing. Let them make that decision.

Maybe. But maybe he can't beat Charlie Falck or Montell Marion at that point.

I also think he's a bad example. I understand the saving a redshirt concept but that would also require getting hurt in the offseason or very early in season otherwise you're going to be recovered the following season anyway.

I don't think the Brands have had anybody to cut loose as a true freshman that they should have.
Then they apparently aren't getting the right guys, because there have been plenty that went that route, and I think some did OK.........

Reactions: el dub

sub-buzz-9756-1483552938-1.jpg

Excited to see how warner does, he'll have miklus and smith from West Virginia in his bracket
Smith from West Virginia no longer listed. Hopefully Warner gets to face Miklus at some point to see where he stands against one of the best at 197

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT