ADVERTISEMENT

Linderbaum and Goodson

iowaflash

HR All-State
Gold Member
Jul 1, 2006
Again much appreciated to both for 3 very solid years of play, but amazing to also think that each could have come back one more year, essentially bringing all offensive starters back for 2022. And no I didn’t mean that as a set up for a bunch of ineptness jokes to follow.

Though it would have been a luxury to especially get Linderbaum back, the progress we’ll have on offense from last year to this year, with so many upperclassmen in the mix will be a storyline, mark my words. Iowa as a team brings back the most starters in the B10, and guess who brings back the least? Starts with a W…..See you in Indy again come December!

I wouldn’t say “at all”. But there is a reason Iowa rushed really well against Kentucky. The Williams’ boys are going to be good. They made multiple guys miss in the back field, which Tyler struggled with.
I'd say Tyler, with that OL, was a formula for a poor running attack. Goodson would look for holes that weren't there and had way to many TFL's. In the bowl, the blocking was a a little better and the backs ran to where the hole was supposed to be. The broke through often and made some nice runs.

Do we have anyone that might be the next Shonn Greene?
I'd take slightly less than Greene on the field if he can handle the classroom. Only 1 year from Shonn was disappointing, as amazing as he was that year

I'd take slightly less than Greene on the field if he can handle the classroom. Only 1 year from Shonn was disappointing, as amazing as he was that year
What did his roommate say at one time? “Shonn really gets into his TV and/or video games”, or something to that effect, when he was allowing his weight to creep up a little too much as well. His story was such a fantastic turnaround from that point….

in today's NIL game, Shonn would have been history when one of "the big boys" offered him $3 million to transfer there

I'm more impressed that Baltimore opted for the position change.
Kirwin and Miller said the Ravens will play Lindy at guard for a season and let go of the current center.

Tyler was a home run threat every time he touched the ball but he was not a banger and really did go down pretty quick in last season. Sometimes people cannot overcome a conscious fear. Given the number of times the defenders simply ran past the OL you can see a smallish back going down to avoid a vicious hit or buried beneath a 1000 pounds of D lineman, and whoever else busted through the bad blocking.

Gavin and LeShon might not be game breakers but they will be first down makers. I see another 20-25 rushing yards between might be a three back rotation.

Last edited:
Kind of funny reading how we won’t miss Goodson. Do people forget how inconsistent running game was until he took over midway though 19’ season along with 18’ season where we had no reliable back. He was dangerous in open space and a home run threat something Iowa fans had been begging for since wadley left. I know Covid year so take with grain of salt but he was still 1st team all conf and had a lot of big games and plays those 8 games.

yes both Williams I like and ran tough in the bowl game. But UK was missing best DL and our OL played one of best games of the season giving Petras time to throw as well. Last couple of games OL played better and goodson’s stats also benefited (NW, ILL and Neb 100+ yds). Even with one of the worst OLs in KF tenure he still got 1100+ yds. For complaints about not breaking tackles or dancing for loss of yards yes those are his weaknesses however rewatching games some of those runs for loss of yards it doesn’t matter who is carrying the ball they had no prayer getting back to line of scrimmage. Can’t wait after few games next year when fans start to complain if the Williams aren’t getting enough big runs or doing enough on pass plays or making guys miss in the open field and narrative will be how we miss Goodson then.

Kind of funny reading how we won’t miss Goodson. Do people forget how inconsistent running game was until he took over midway though 19’ season along with 18’ season where we had no reliable back. He was dangerous in open space and a home run threat something Iowa fans had been begging for since wadley left. I know Covid year so take with grain of salt but he was still 1st team all conf and had a lot of big games and plays those 8 games.

yes both Williams I like and ran tough in the bowl game. But UK was missing best DL and our OL played one of best games of the season giving Petras time to throw as well. Last couple of games OL played better and goodson’s stats also benefited (NW, ILL and Neb 100+ yds). Even with one of the worst OLs in KF tenure he still got 1100+ yds. For complaints about not breaking tackles or dancing for loss of yards yes those are his weaknesses however rewatching games some of those runs for loss of yards it doesn’t matter who is carrying the ball they had no prayer getting back to line of scrimmage. Can’t wait after few games next year when fans start to complain if the Williams aren’t getting enough big runs or doing enough on pass plays or making guys miss in the open field and narrative will be how we miss Goodson then.

You are kind of acknowledging the duality of Tyler's game in the 2021 season. He did make many big plays but he was a kind of boom or bust runner. He both busted big runs and danced around in the backfield instead of just lowering shoulders and running straight ahead to minimize the lost yards.

Much of the blame for the lack of consistent holes was the offensive line but there were many plays where Tyler went down easily and he rarely fought for yards after contact. All those TFLs and minimal or no gain have a disproportionately bad effect on an offense that is designed for ball control. Second and 13 is not a terrible situation with a good throwing game, in the Iowa 2021 offense it often meant disaster.

It might have been a better decision to stay for his final year.

That's what I said at the time. With better line play Tyler would have been more like 1500 yard rusher with another year to improve the pass blocking and receiving. NFL QBs cost the GNP of some countries. A RB that cannot recognize a blitzer or execute a good block on the blitzer won't last very long unless they can run like Thurman Thomas or Barry Sanders. The top flight QBs cannot get hurt on a missed block. He doesn't have to be Walter Payton or Earl Campbell but he absolutely will need to block much better than last season to stick with in NFL team, although I am pulling for him, another Hawk RB in the NFL has got to help when recruiting RBs.

Last edited:
Again much appreciated to both for 3 very solid years of play, but amazing to also think that each could have come back one more year, essentially bringing all offensive starters back for 2022. And no I didn’t mean that as a set up for a bunch of ineptness jokes to follow.

Though it would have been a luxury to especially get Linderbaum back, the progress we’ll have on offense from last year to this year, with so many upperclassmen in the mix will be a storyline, mark my words. Iowa as a team brings back the most starters in the B10, and guess who brings back the least? Starts with a W…..See you in Indy again come December!
Can't get worse, that's for sure....

ADVERTISEMENT