ADVERTISEMENT

Linderbaum vs Wirfs story

Hawk24

HR Legend
Oct 29, 2001
Coach Polacek was speaking to the crowd at the Polk County I-Club golf outing today. He was talking up Linderbaum quite a bit and related a story about Linderbaum going against Wirfs in a one-on-one drill this spring. Apparently Linderbaum pancaked Wirfs who didn't like it and tried to intimidate Linderbaum by making some remark. Tyler took it in stride and said, "I'll kick you ass again."

I like this guy's attitude and maybe some of that nastiness will rub off on Wirfs.

Coach Polacek was speaking to the crowd at the Polk County I-Club golf outing today. He was talking up Linderbaum quite a bit and related a story about Linderbaum going against Wirfs in a one-on-one drill this spring. Apparently Linderbaum pancaked Wirfs who didn't like it and tried to intimidate Linderbaum by making some remark. Tyler took it in stride and said, "I'll kick you ass again."

I like this guy's attitude and maybe some of that nastiness will rub off on Wirfs.
When you have some of those big DTs coming at ya ... you have to have the stones to hit those guys back right on the chin (figuratively, not literally). Everything I've heard about Linderbaum points to him being loaded with toughness ... and he plays with a great "edge."

Also, if memory serves, Wirfs and Linderbaum have a cool wrestling backstory ... Linderbaum has won one match against Wirfs ... while Wirfs has won the other two. It sounds like those guys have a healthy competition between the two of them.

Hearing this reminds me of Roth vs Gallery. However TL and Wirfs seem to have respect for each other and its just healthy competition, I legitimately think Roth hated Gallery

That's why nobody on Iowa's offensive side should go pro after next year unless their eligibility is up........

You're welcome.

If I was Wirfs, I would not be too happy with this story being spread around the state at booster events.

they would have played against each other all through high school and before so they know each other well.
Hes talking about beating him in wrestling which he did.
Love to hear about this from Tyler and its further evidence that we have an inspiring leader who can set the tone for the OL. Light a fire under Wirfs ass and get him going! Take command of the OL and dominate as a unit like we haven't seen for too long. He will be a national award winner.

When you have some of those big DTs coming at ya ... you have to have the stones to hit those guys back right on the chin (figuratively, not literally). Everything I've heard about Linderbaum points to him being loaded with toughness ... and he plays with a great "edge."

If we can get the entire ol with TL's mentality we are in business folks. Our tackles need to finish blocks.

Polacek might be looking to motivate Wirfs a bit. The coaches have all said that Wirfs is a great kid with all of the tools to be a great OT, he just needs to put everything together and play with a nasty streak.
I'd say he's doing pretty well, yes there's room for improvement, but he didn't allow a sack last year and was a good run blocker. He's being mentioned as a first round pick by many and top 10 by some.

Reactions: easy2
If I was Wirfs, I would not be too happy with this story being spread around the state at booster events.

I would agree that this is an intentional effort by Polacek to motivate Wirfs. Hope it works. Coaches have to be careful with that stuff and really know their players. This would light a fire under some guys. Other guys would get their feelings hurt and it could damage their potential. (Yes, even 300-pound BIG linemen can have sensitive personalities.) I've seen it happen both ways. I trust that the Iowa coaches know what buttons to push for which players.

The Iowa running game has to show up if the Hawkeyes are goin' back to Indy--and win there--this year. Linderbaum could be the catalyst to make that happen.

I remember how disappointing it was for me after losing the Wisconsin game last year and riding out an hour through traffic just to find Wirfs ahead of me in line at Pancheros off hwy 1. I guess I’d hoped that it would sting a little bit more than going out in public immediately after losing a huge game.

I remember how disappointing it was for me after losing the Wisconsin game last year and riding out an hour through traffic just to find Wirfs ahead of me in line at Pancheros off hwy 1. I guess I’d hoped that it would sting a little bit more than going out in public immediately after losing a huge game.

Believe me, the whole life or death mentality is a fan thing, NOT a player thing.

Or maybe i would use that to motivate myself (bulletin board material),

Is he supposed to sit at home and cry? Hide from the public because he was too embarrassed?

LOL, I thought this was a pretty funny post until I realized you were serious.

It's a game played by 17-22 year olds.

Last edited:
So is he suppose to go home and spend the night crying?

How dare he show his face in public after a loss!

The Return of the Bullies of the Big Ten. If Kallenberger can join Linderbaum, Banwart, Wirfs and Jackson, Iowa's running game maybe its best since the Bulaga era. JMO.

Reactions: PNWHawk

He was punishing himself. ;)

Back in the 70's, half the team would beat us down to the bars after the game (i.e. after a loss).

Reactions: HawkCapt1912
To make matters worse he thought he deserved to eat after losing a game? In public no less???

AggravatingAlarmedAcornwoodpecker-size_restricted.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT