ADVERTISEMENT

Lineup for Sunday

Ok but wrestling 5-6 matches and then turning around and wrestling in a dual is nuts, the weight management, the exhaustion of anywhere from 4-5 matches up to possible 7-8 is too much. If Wilcke is seriously going to Luther than they (TnT) must have another plan for 84. Maybe it's Brands, maybe it's someone else...whoever is there I hope looks to explode on offense.

Ok but wrestling 5-6 matches and then turning around and wrestling in a dual is nuts, the weight management, the exhaustion of anywhere from 4-5 matches up to possible 7-8 is too much. If Wilcke is seriously going to Luther than they (TnT) must have another plan for 84. Maybe it's Brands, maybe it's someone else...whoever is there I hope looks to explode on offense.
Seriously doubt anyone wrestles more than three matches if it gets to that point. Especially guys projected as starters. Get a few matches in and forfeit the balance.

Reactions: Ihawkd9times

It doesn’t take eight matches to win the Luther Open.

The starter caliber guys, and probably backups too, should all easily win the Luther Open. 3-4 matches. Some tune up matches, nothing to get worked up over. We don't even know if they will be pulling double duty at the Luther Open and the Dual at this point.

The starter caliber guys, and probably backups too, should all easily win the Luther Open. 3-4 matches. Some tune up matches, nothing to get worked up over. We don't even know if they will be pulling double duty at the Luther Open and the Dual at this point.

I don’t know what the deal with Wilcke is but I like this for Teasdale.

We can discuss and talk about this for ever and get no where let it play out if some wrestle sat and then in the dual sunday also so be it can't believe a 5 year guy in the room needs to go sat for some confidence that is all bull to me.

Reactions: wasdt21
Regarding $$$, he was a high school recruit ranked around 60-80, IIRC.
Almost by definition, that's a fringe AA guy. He's about what should have been expected.

Regarding $$$, he was a high school recruit ranked around 60-80, IIRC.
Almost by definition, that's a fringe AA guy. He's about what should have been expected.
He was #86 on D1CW in 2015.

With 80 AAs per year and 4+ classes competing, only the top 20 recruits from any class would be expected to AA.

Wilcke has outperformed his high school P4P ranking.

With 80 AAs per year and 4+ classes competing, only the top 20 recruits from any class would be expected to AA.

As a 5th year senior in a historically strong program... I'd argue he hasn't outperformed his high school standing. Now if he had wrestled at Indiana or Purdue, I'd agree with you. Especially when I'd say his ceiling is R12.

Reactions: TarpHawk
As a 5th year senior in a historically strong program... I'd argue he hasn't outperformed his high school standing. Now if he had wrestled at Indiana or Purdue, I'd agree with you. Especially when I'd say his ceiling is R12.

Huh? You say his ceiling is R12, his ranking before entering college supports that and yet he hasn’t outperformed his high school standings?

This. "Scouting" has nothing to do with the decision to be made at 133/141...if there even is one left to be made.
Thanks Captain Obvious. My comments have nothing to do with scouting, which is ridiculous. If you're good enough to wrestle DI, they have tape. You've got ten weight classes and ten starters. You should know who they are. Get them out there and let them wrestle. Is this really that hard of a concept?

Explain to me why no video in the practice room then Albert?
Injured wrestlers maybe? Training technique that everyone already knows but have to be kept "secret"? Just in case they've uncovered some groundbreaking technique they'll unleash on the world soon?

If you're good enough to wrestle DI, this might come as a shocker to you, but they've got tape on you. Now in your world, I suppose we should hold guys like DeSanto out, because in the off-season he learned to wrestle like Bo Nickal, so he's an entirely different wrestler, and we sure wouldn't want anybody to see that! LOL!

Reactions: SPOONER
What is the min. number of matches a wrestler needs to qualify (too lazy to look up)? Does Wilcke wrestling at the Luther Opren perhaps not indicate a desire to get some extra matches in?

Thanks Captain Obvious. My comments have nothing to do with scouting, which is ridiculous. If you're good enough to wrestle DI, they have tape. You've got ten weight classes and ten starters. You should know who they are. Get them out there and let them wrestle. Is this really that hard of a concept?

I started my post with the word “this” which means I agreed with your post. Others seem to think it’s due to scouting so I guess not so obvious to them.

This post I don’t agree with as much. Not sure it’s reasonable to know your 10 starters in November every year. Not in a competitive room, anyway.

What is the min. number of matches a wrestler needs to qualify (too lazy to look up)? Does Wilcke wrestling at the Luther Opren perhaps not indicate a desire to get some extra matches in?

There is no minimum number of matches to qualify for NCAAs. One can wrestle 0 matches during the season but qualify through the B1G tournament.

There are requirements to reach certain qualifying levels, or to qualify the weight for the conference, but those are centered around matches vs D1 wrestlers which isn’t likely to happen at Luther.

Something to consider about Wilcke's NCAA results:

He's finished R12 twice and R16 with a total of 6 NCAA tournament losses. All 6 losses were to guys who went on to place at that tournament. 4 of 6 losses are to NCAA finalists (2x Haught, Moore, and Dean). 5 of 6 were to guys with placings of 3rd or higher. He's run into some complete hammers every year. He was incredibly unlucky that Parker fell into his consi path last year for example. The year before, the Conel upset put Moore in his R12 match.

I don't think there should be any doubt about the fact that he's completely outperformed his recruiting ranking.

Huh? You say his ceiling is R12, his ranking before entering college supports that and yet he hasn’t outperformed his high school standings?
He's outperformed his high school ranking compared to Nick Moore!
How's that?

IMO his ceiling is higher than R12, despite his HS ranking that is what drives people nuts about him. Wilcke is really athletic and quick for his size. As an outside observer, with his tools if he was more "Iowa style" it seems like he could be an awesome program story. I really root for him because he's a small town kid who wrestled in my old HS conference, would love for him to have a great senior year.

Something to consider about Wilcke's NCAA results:

He's finished R12 twice and R16 with a total of 6 NCAA tournament losses. All 6 losses were to guys who went on to place at that tournament. 4 of 6 losses are to NCAA finalists (2x Haught, Moore, and Dean). 5 of 6 were to guys with placings of 3rd or higher. He's run into some complete hammers every year. He was incredibly unlucky that Parker fell into his consi path last year for example. The year before, the Conel upset put Moore in his R12 match.

I don't think there should be any doubt about the fact that he's completely outperformed his recruiting ranking.

Excellent post. Great points.

The REAL issue with the DeSanto decision is getting his body ready for 141. I don’t care what team knows who is starting when or where. I have seen some REALLY good wrestlers go up in weight during the season and fall way short. One of the biggest was actually a PSU guy in Vallimont.

I simply do not want to see DeSanto making 133 through Midlands and then becoming the 141. You simply CAN NOT fill into a weight class in a couple of months.

To me, the plan is decide on 133 at Midlands wrestling DeSanto unattached and Murin at 141 no matter what. Wasting DeSanto’s redshirt and half his season at 133 just doesn’t make sense to me. Unless of course, DeSanto is destroying Murin even without the weight, of which reports say otherwise.

The REAL issue with the DeSanto decision is getting his body ready for 141. I don’t care what team knows who is starting when or where. I have seen some REALLY good wrestlers go up in weight during the season and fall way short. One of the biggest was actually a PSU guy in Vallimont.

I simply do not want to see DeSanto making 133 through Midlands and then becoming the 141. You simply CAN NOT fill into a weight class in a couple of months.

To me, the plan is decide on 133 at Midlands wrestling DeSanto unattached and Murin at 141 no matter what. Wasting DeSanto’s redshirt and half his season at 133 just doesn’t make sense to me. Unless of course, DeSanto is destroying Murin even without the weight, of which reports say otherwise.

If that were the case, DeSanto would be wrestling tomorrow and wouldn’t be listed at two weights for Sunday.

Just throwing stuff against the wall (to see what sticks) but back in the day I could see Gable sending Cash to the tournament with the not so subtle suggestion that he should be letting it all fly in the first periods.

This would make more sense to me than a confidence builder IMO. Sure one can argue level of competition, but if you are not going to dominate there then when? Why the hell am I going to start you this year and watch 3 -2 matches all season.

I'm not sure that's Tom's style. Sounds like something Gable might do. Could just be wishful thinking in my head. Admittedly I lost my tin foil hat the other day.

To me Cash has more tools in his bag that he just is not rolling out there most of the time. Physically he is right there with the top tier just losing the coin flips. It is mental IMO so that is where the change HAS to come. Send a message , bribe him, beg him, piss him off, light a fire whatever works.

With this weight in particular it has to start now not wait until Midlands, Bigs, or NCAAs. A team title could hang in the balance so show us what you've got. There is no next year for you.

Let me know if anyone sees my hat.

By that time we should know how Teasdale is doing as well.

Reactions: Ihawkd9times
IF Teasdale is the best option at 133, as has been suggested, then it seems logical to send ADD to 141 now, let him wrestle opens and Midlands at 141, get an apples-to-apples look at him vs. Murin, give him more time to adjust to 141, then either redshirt or start him.

But something else is going on.

I guess we will see.

Addendum: we need enough time to see if GT has the right stuff at 133. But we also need enough time to see if ADS has the right stuff at 141, and not send him into B1Gs undersized.

Reactions: crablegs1
Injured wrestlers maybe? Training technique that everyone already knows but have to be kept "secret"? Just in case they've uncovered some groundbreaking technique they'll unleash on the world soon?

If you're good enough to wrestle DI, this might come as a shocker to you, but they've got tape on you. Now in your world, I suppose we should hold guys like DeSanto out, because in the off-season he learned to wrestle like Bo Nickal, so he's an entirely different wrestler, and we sure wouldn't want anybody to see that! LOL!
You are an idiot with a one track mind....glad you are not a coach.

Reactions: el dub
Addendum: we need enough time to see if GT has the right stuff at 133. But we also need enough time to see if ADS has the right stuff at 141, and not send him into B1Gs undersized.

Exactly but the problem is what if Teasdale somehow isnt what we thought. Then isnt ADS sitting out huge January duals with the weight loss restrictions and its Teasdale/Murin vs PSU, OK st, Ohio State. If Iowa is to beat PSU then they absolutly cant give a win to RBY.

I realize NCAA's is the ultimate plan but lets be honest...Iowa needs to win those duals for a recruiting and team brand perspective. They are large for image sake like it or not.

IMO I dont think ADS will be undersized at 141 if it plays out until midlands. Nick Lee and Pletcher are hardly giants at that weight size wise. Plus ADS is just as strong as them regardless what the scale says.

All the speculation about whether GT/AD or AD/MM is better could be for naught with Murin having the big shoulder brace on for Luther today. It could be just a precaution and FF out could mean they just wanted to test it once in a real match, but it doesn't look good. Might be time for AD to hit the protein shakes

If GT is beating ADS and ADS is beating everyone else at 141, there might not be so much thinking required.....
Very true. I do hope that if we are wrestling Austin unattached at the Midlands that some thought has been put into who is cornering him.
I would hate to see some of the progress he has made be lost if a large 141cutting down handled him and things went a little sideways. I think he has grown substantially and I would like to see it culminate in a title for AD.

(Seeing varied attacks at Midlands wouldn't hurt my feelings at all either)

Reactions: el dub and TarpHawk
Sorry, but Iowa is in trouble if they move AD up.
They go from sure points at 133 and potential at 141 with Murin to fringe AA at 141 and round of 16 to non qualifying 133

You don’t think Teasdale is good enough to qualify for the NCAAs? If anyone who watched him every day thought that was even remotely possible they wouldn’t be considering this move.

Very true. I do hope that if we are wrestling Austin unattached at the Midlands that some thought has been put into who is cornering him.
I would hate to see some of the progress he has made be lost if a large 141cutting down handled him and things went a little sideways. I think he has grown substantially and I would like to see it culminate in a title for AD.

(Seeing varied attacks at Midlands wouldn't hurt my feelings at all either)

Doesn’t seem likely with him shown as a possible/probable at two weights tomorrow and Murin going today.

Reactions: UndercoverHawk
So the cryptic starting lineup notes start to make more sense.

GT is phenomenal in the room but is inconsistent and needs more matches with non-Iowa guys to evaluate true potential.

ADS is more consistent and proven in match situations, but GT often handles him, which means he could go at 133, 141, or redshirt. It's too early to say.

Murin is nursing a shoulder injury, so we may need ADS to go either 133 or 141 on Sunday. But we want to see how Saturday goes for both Teasdale and Murin first.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT